PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt Loads

.22-10-45
10-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello, everyone. Yesterday was so nice, I took the 7 1/2" Colt/Turnbull B.P. framed S.A.A. .45 out for it's second trip to range.
I had some verification loads & some with a never before tried powder.
I was using the old Lyman 454190 cast from soft range lead, lubed with my #5A1, & sized .452".
Starline .45 long colt brass, Fed. 150 primer.
I found the starting load of 5.0gr. Hodgdon Tightgroup to be the most accurate...from a sitting position..elbows supported on knees..at 20 yds. I got a 1" group..with 4 in
3/4". P.O.I. was right on top of front sight..windage perfect. Increasing charges opend groups & P.O.I.

Moving on to the new powder..IMR Tighgroup..same components as above....
The start load of 4.5grs was mild..but grouping didn't reallly improve until I reached 5.0gr. to 5.5gr. any higher and groups opened & impact rose.

Next, I used Starline Schofield brass, with the same two powders.
Again..the starting load of 4.5gr. of Tightgroup prooved the most accurate..an honest 1" group..with 4 out of 5 cutting into each other.
Using TrailBoss 4.5gr. to 5.0gr. was the most accurate..with heaver charges opening groups.
All in all, I am pretty impressed with the accuracy considering the fine V notch rear & knifeblade thin front.
Only a few light lead streaks in some cyl. mouths & in forcing cone..both easily removed with a few brush strokes.
The biggest problem is the carbon in the cyl.! I used a new to me product..Bore Tech Carbon Remover..this stuff is pretty good..if you give it time to work.
I have heard good things about WW231 & Aliant Red Dot in these lighter .45 loads..I might give them a try in future.