PDA

View Full Version : need a little help

Jim
05-30-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a Savage mod. 110Y bolt rifle in .223. I'd like to match a bullet to it. Can one of y'all tell me how to find the twist rate for this rifle and how to determine the right(best) bullet weight for it?

Thanks!

Scrounger
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
If it is fairly recent I believe the twist will be 1 in 9 inches. There are guidelines but the guns sometimes don't pay attention to them. In general, if your gun is 1 in 9, it should prefer bullets of 55 grains and up. Strictly my opinion, but I think a twist that fast won't do well with cast bullets unless they are going real slow. But Savage makes awfully good shooting barrels and nobody knows for sure what your barrel will do until you try it.

felix
05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Art, the 22's tend to fare better in the accuracy department with faster twists than those of larger bore sizes because the former's typically shorter boolits do not require a larger amount of torque, as do the others, to get them to BEGIN turning. As usual, a trial is always preferred over any absolute rule to get to the "facts". ... felix

Dragoon
05-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Can one of y'all tell me how to find the twist rate for this rifle?

Thanks!

Use a cleaning rod with a smooth turning ball bearing handle and a tight patch. With the patch at one end of the bore, make a mark with a sharpie marker on your cleaning rod (top center at the muzzle or end of action) pull the patch through the bore until the index mark has made one complete revolution. Measure the distance from the mark to your starting point.

Repeat a couple of times to make sure.

9.3X62AL
05-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Don't give up the ship on 22 centerfires with castings until you give the rifle a good test-drive. My current bolt 223--a Ruger 77RC--is a tack-driver with j-words. It has 1-9" twist. I de-coppered the barrel, and tried a couple designs by NEI in a mold from a member here. One--the 72 grain RN, didn't do well at all. The other, a spire-pointed 55 grain Loverin knock-off looking thing, shot pretty darn well--a few powder tweaks should make it behave itself.

Some tweaks to the lighter boolit, and maybe kicking the heavier one harder in the aspirations might pay off. Later for that--other projects command my attention currently.

Scrounger
05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Felix, problem is no body ever taught the dang rifles to read!

jhalcott
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
My Savage 22-250 is twisted 1 in 14", but it is an oldie.! Tiny bullets are too hard for me to cast CONSISTENTLY good. I also have 4-5 thousand of the Jwords around.

Johnch
05-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I have 2 Savage 110's
1 is a 110 V and the other is 110 ................ plain wood stocked modle about 6 years old

If you are talking jacketed , both shoot a 50 gr Nosler Balistic tip with H335 in fire formed cases great , the varmit version will do sub 3/4" at 200 yards if I do my part

I shoot a 225415 in the plain rifle
I have had good sucess with it up to 1900 fps
Past that I have had a lot of 4 of 5 inside 1" at 75 yds , but the 5th will sometimes open the group up to 1.5 - 6"

IMO I am losing the GC or not seating the bullet square
I picked up another mould .
If I still lose GC's I have a few ideas

John

Jim
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Hey, thanks to all for the responses and great info! I must apologize as I just realized I failed to mention I'll be shooting FLGCs in it. BIG DUMMY!