PDA

View Full Version : .43 Egyptian or 11.3x50R,ROLLING BLOCK

Jonnytoobad
10-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Hello everyone
I am new to the Cast Boolits forum!!! I have been brought here by a old firearm...I recently purchased a Egyptian contract Remington Rolling Block. I bought it in Vermont when I was on vacation.

Like most of these rifles it is old and missing some parts...like the entirety of the rear sight assembly.....Also the Mainspring, while it was still in the rifle it is cracked in half and beyond repair...also the firing pin looks to have had the tip filed off ,but is still there. The rifling looks pretty decent for a black powder firearm that was made almost 140 years ago except at the muzzle it may have had an attempt to be counter bored.

The stocks are of course dinged up and cracked here and there...but otherwise it is in good shape the metal has some rust but no pits. The block lock up is tight and sear engagement is good on full and half cock. I actually located the receiver serial number though, I have been told these are more like Lot numbers than actual serial numbers.. and it is 35394...and it of course has the old style sliding extractor and the screw retaining the firing pin in the block.

It has the cresent moon and E.P. with 1911 under it I have been told this is the marking for the egyptian police...since this rifle is much older than 1911...I have read they are 1873 -1874 contract but may have had a second later contract....

The biggest concern I have is ammo I have done tons of research on the Catridge...but its pretty much a dead catridge...Bertram makes brass for it but read its a little small.....I only intend on using Black Powder or equivalent in the firearm and cast lead projectiles...

Anyone got any advice keep in mind I am a certified gunsmith so getting her shooting again wont be a problem...I need more advice in the cartridge arena.

Jonnytoobad

Don McDowell
10-05-2012, 08:46 PM
You can form brass from 50-90 if you have the size dies.
You can also get brass from Rocky Mtn Cartridge.

Ramar
10-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Johytoobad,
I have an Egyptian RB also and found die info using the "search" here.

Ramar

nwellons
10-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I shoot mine regularly and have been reloading for it for about 2 years. I think the brass came from Buffalo arms. Dies are easy and cheap if you use my process. Neck sizing is all you need so after firing, I first size with a .45 Colt die followed by a .45ACP die. I seat with the .45ACP die. Works great for me and no expensive dies - you may already have the 45s.

I use the RCBS Bullet Mold 44-370-FN.

Testing has show that the large rifle magnum CCI gives the best consistency - about 1300 fps with a full case (about 5ccs) of Goex FFg. I pan lube the boolit and use a cardboard wad.

Jonnytoobad
10-06-2012, 11:50 AM
nwellons

So you are using actual .43 Egyptian brass. I assumed that neck sizing is all that would be necessary unless you made brass from cartridges ( I have heard .32 gauge brass shot shells, and .50-90) I have now been informed Buffalo Arms and Rocky Mountain cartridge. At the moment I don't have .45 LC or .45ACPdies. But I am sure they are cheaper than the .43 Egyptian dies they sell at Buffalo Arms.

Also I noticed that you listed the charge of black powder as (5CC's) what does that equivocate to in grains

And thank you

Don McDowell
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I load 75 grs of Goex cartridge.
You might want to slug your bore, this one measures at a .448 groove diameter, and while the rcbs bullet works , leading is a bit of a problem. Paper patch works pretty well tho.

Jonnytoobad
10-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Don
Slugging the bore and pouring a chamber cast, are very high on my to do list. I will definitely do both before I ever attempt to reload for of fire the old rifle. I am unaware of what the actual caliber of the .43 Egyptian cartridge should be. I know it is close to .43 Dutch Beaumont. The bore of my rifle is bright but does show some wear so it may be larger than expected.

nwellons
10-06-2012, 04:23 PM
nwellons

So you are using actual .43 Egyptian brass. I assumed that neck sizing is all that would be necessary unless you made brass from cartridges ( I have heard .32 gauge brass shot shells, and .50-90) I have now been informed Buffalo Arms and Rocky Mountain cartridge. At the moment I don't have .45 LC or .45ACPdies. But I am sure they are cheaper than the .43 Egyptian dies they sell at Buffalo Arms.

Also I noticed that you listed the charge of black powder as (5CC's) what does that equivocate to in grains

And thank you

I think the brass is reworked from another caliber to .43 Egyptian but it works fine.

I got my .45 dies sets used, both sets together for $20 or $25. Full case dies for .43 Egyptian are very expensive and totally unnecessary, in my opinion.

I use Lee scoops but have weighed the 5 cc and get 72 - 73 grains.

I have no leading problems at all.

Lead pot
10-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Here is a big selections of links where you can find parts. Just click on one of the pictures and it will give you a parts list.

http://rollingblockparts.com/

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Single%20Shot%20Cartridge%20Rifles/REMINGTON%20ROLLING%20BLOCK%20RIFLE/M1868%20Liege%20built%20Egyptian%20Remington%20Rol ling%20Block/M1868%20Liege%20built%20Egyptian%20Remington%20Rol ling%20Block.htm#Egyptian/Sudanese Remington Rolling Block Rifle

http://www.google.com/search?q=rolling+block+screws&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGRP_enUS501US501&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F1duUL6IBqPuyAHdyIHgAg&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=566#q=rolling+block+screws&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGRP_enUS501US501&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=a988abdcb9969a12&biw=1125&bih=317

FrankG
10-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I made a set of dies for my 43 Egypt "1887"after making a "D" reamer for the sizing die. The cases were made from Magtech .32 brass shotshells . Bullets were cast 385 and 405 grain size to .452 dia. and Unique powder.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/ModocWrangler/Projects/43dies.jpg

Don McDowell
10-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Don
Slugging the bore and pouring a chamber cast, are very high on my to do list. I will definitely do both before I ever attempt to reload for of fire the old rifle. I am unaware of what the actual caliber of the .43 Egyptian cartridge should be. I know it is close to .43 Dutch Beaumont. The bore of my rifle is bright but does show some wear so it may be larger than expected.

The Egyptian and Beaumont are the same cartridge, the rifles and that became known as the Beumont were originally intended to ship to Egypt , but due to an emergency situation they were diverted to the Dutch...

Jonnytoobad
10-07-2012, 09:22 PM
I had heard that was the case....originally the Beaumont was 11.3x50R with a .464 diameter bullet....later they used the 11x52R Catridge with a .457 diameter bullet.

this is a very helpful link
http://www.iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7590

Jonnytoobad
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I took the time today and I poured two sulfur chamber casts in the Egyptian rolling block. I haven't measured them but they have a neck in middle of the cartridge and appear to be fairly tapered. So as I expected it is a .43 Egyptian.

I also slugged the bore but I only had a .54 caliber ball and it swagged it into a slug shape. I have measured it but the largest dimension I can get is .448. More often the dimension are closer to .440-.442 The lands being fairly worn.

I need to slug it with a ball closer to .450 caliber.

Jonnytoobad
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Tore down the RB today and cleaned it using automotive Raquela thinner, steel wool and wire brush I have never seen so much sand come out of a firearm in my entire life. The nice part is all the parts are super smooth and slick. There was nothing but ancient dried cosmolene and desert sand inside...also weird hair....maybe from a horse?

bigted
12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
HORSE???...HORSE YA SAY??...LOL...think CAMEL!!!... good to hear someone is turning these great ol rifles back into a shooter instead of the wall hangers they have been. welcome jonnytoobad...you will get the answers you seek here and again...welcome to the forum!!!

Jonnytoobad
12-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks Bigted I appreciate the hearty welcome to the forums :) the rifle is all cleaned prepped and ready to go as soon as I get the spare parts I need. I really need to get off my butt and make a firing pin for it.
Also I noticed you where in Alaska and I found this video on youtube of a couple guys hunting Ptarmigan with a .43 eygptian rolling block though you might like it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poS9w1Dsd5A

EdZ KG6UTS
12-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Have you tried "Rolling Block Parts! http://www.rollingblockparts.com/ I got parts from them for my .43 roller to improve the trigger pull. Nice folks too!

EdZ KG6UTS

bigted
12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Jonny...im not too surprised at the stuff that gets hunted and with what here. this is a mix of all kinda folks and ya gots ta filter thru what some do as to whether it be a good idea or not...LOL.

i been tempted to try on a 43 in either the egyptian or spanish but been tied down with the ol '93' marlin in 38-55 for the last bit. keep us infoamed on yer project!

Jonnytoobad
12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Ted
.43 Spanish is a much easier to find rifle and caliber in the rolling block platform. Also when I do find Egyptians they have been beat up and badly mistreated....you can still find .43 Spanish rifles in excellent shape. Also .43 spanish ammo can still be found loaded from time to time but not that commonly. There also some excellent calibers other than .43 that can be found like .45-70, 50-70 or if you are looking for a slightly more modern caliber 7x57mm. .45-70 would probably be a excellent choice up in your neck of the woods. I used it for year in Maine (were I grew up) and it was a great hunting caliber.

scatheli
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi my US Friends,

I guess it is my firts reply on this forum and be sure that I'll appreciate your help.
In France (Yeah..sorry I'm a Frenchy LOL), I'm shooting and reloading on 44-40 and 45-70 for my rifles (Winchester & Sharps) and also have nearly 12 black powder guns...
I had the opportunity to buy a 43 Egyptian which is in very good shape.

As I can read, you can reload thoses cases only with 2 dies : 45Colt & 45ACP dies.

I have a Lee Press and just wonder if someone can explane to me how I can reload the case (and what I'll need to buy...)

1 - I need to buy case from Buffalo arms.
question : Should I buy the Buffalo's ones or the Bertram ?

2 - I have to buy 2 Dies : 45Colt & 45ACP
so, after firing :
a) Unpriming and sizing the neck of the case with the 45 Colt die (Lee ref : 90533)
b) still sizing the case with the 45 ACP die (Lee ref : 90532)
c) Filling the blackpowder
d) seat the bullet with the 45 ACP die (Lee ref : 90532)

Questions :
First of all, Am I correct ?
Do I need a factory crimp for the bullet ?

Many thanks for your support.

Alexis

Wayne Smith
05-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Neither die will be long enough to deprime. You need a deprimer die (universal) or a way to deprime at the range if you are shooting BP. I don't have a 43 of any type, but I think you can neck size with pistol dies and then seat your boolit with pistol dies. If you are shooting single shot you don't need to crimp unless your boolit is not heavy enough to let the powder fully burn before it begins to move. This is true with the 405gr or lighter boolit in the 45-70, they need to be crimped. The 500+gr. boolits do not need a crimp.

BTW, welcome to the site. If you do need a full set of dies Dave at CH4D probably has them on the shelf. If not he will make them.

Good Cheer
05-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Ah ha. The flash bulb of comprehension just went off concerning the boolits that work best in the .451 bore Volunteer.

Noel Mayes
01-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Can anyone tell me the OAL of the 43 Egyptian bullet?

Don McDowell
01-10-2017, 08:37 PM
The bullet is only about 1.2 inches long.

Noel Mayes
01-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Thanks

Don McDowell
01-11-2017, 12:14 AM
If you meant the loaded cartridge, that's 2.75

Noel Mayes
01-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Yes, actually that is what I meant, thanks