View Full Version : nevermind

toooldtocare
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
nevermind i tried to post a link to a video about unbalanced bullets. guess im to stupid to figure out how to link it

crabo
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Right click on the URL. Hit copy, then paste in your message.

Flinchrock
10-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Yeah, give it another try, I'd be interested in seeing that.

just.don
10-07-2012, 08:13 AM
this one perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Dylxy3zJc

WILCO
10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
nevermind i tried to post a link to a video about unbalanced bullets. guess im to stupid to figure out how to link it

Never give up, never surrender!

abqcaster
10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
That was really neat!

Larry Gibson
10-07-2012, 01:32 PM
An excellent example (very visual) of how the RPM affects an unbalanced bullet during the external ballistic phase. You can readily see some of the bullets go off on a tangent in a very non linear fashion. You can also see some of the unbalanced bullets begin a helical spiral in a non linear fashion. This is with subsonic (1100 fps or less) lead bullets out of a 14 or 16" twist with a relatively low RPM. Now imagine the effect if the RPM was higher by either increasing the twist or increasing the velocity. This gives you a visual of the fundamental affects when cast bullets exceed the RPM threshold for the components used.

45 2.1, geargnasher and several others should watch, observe the effects and perhaps learn.

larry Gibson

jmort
10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Stabilization visualized. Nice to see

popper
10-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Velly Intelesting. Not just unbalanced but aerodynamically unstable as well. I'd bet some of those didn't survive the trip down the bbl very well either.

toooldtocare
10-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Well that was the one. thanks for posting it.

geargnasher
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Velly Intelesting. Not just unbalanced but aerodynamically unstable as well. I'd bet some of those didn't survive the trip down the bbl very well either.

Very astute. The aerodynamics is creating most of what you see, same as with any bullet that corkscrews. Loss of dynamic stability due to excessive yaw will cause the same effect even with perfect bullets. Keep in mind the velocities here as well. It also appears that the bullets, for the most part, tended to trace a decreased spiral path as they traveled, which we would also expect from a sufficiently stablized bullet. The "wadcutter" with the blunt nose shows very well how a bullet's center of gravity vs. center of pressure is critical to dynamic stability and the ability of the bullet to trace a straight flight path.

Gear