PDA

View Full Version : I hope someone knows Ortgies pistol

farmallcrew
10-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I got an Ortgies from a fella on another site some years back. They made 25, 32, and 380. My problem is i forget which one i have, because i need parts for it. im leaning towards its the 25 because of some of these measurments, bottom of trigger guard to bottom of frame-1.5 inches, diameter of chamber-.286, diameter of end of barrel-.266 I only have the shell of the clip(another reson why i need to know which it is so i can get a new one)and the inside top of the clip from where headstamp sits and to where bullet sits is- .922 and the bottom where it would be have the spring is .946

I hope somebody can help.

Goatwhiskers
10-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Appears to be .25 cal. A lovely piece of machinery, no screws, only 4 pins IIRC. Word of caution, don't carry it loaded stuck in your belt. The firing pin has two hooks that engage the sear, I know of one where one hook broke off allowing the FP to rotate out of engagement and fire the gun. Removed the man's right side family jewel. Parts should be available from Numrich. GW

Southern Son
10-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Appears to be .25 cal. A lovely piece of machinery, no screws, only 4 pins IIRC. Word of caution, don't carry it loaded stuck in your belt. The firing pin has two hooks that engage the sear, I know of one where one hook broke off allowing the FP to rotate out of engagement and fire the gun. Removed the man's right side family jewel. Parts should be available from Numrich. GW

Wow, Numrich have EVERYTHING. How did the new right side family jewel fit, was it drop in, or need fitting?:kidding:

farmallcrew
10-06-2012, 06:46 AM
had somone say about the bullet in muzzle trick. if i reloaded all those calibers i would, but my digital caliper will have to do. any further infomation on what caliber it is?

Ejection port is .909 long, and .391 high.
Slide width is .699

25acp bullet diameter .251 in (6.4 mm)
32 bullet diameter .309 in (7.8 mm)
380 bulet diameter .355 in (9.0 mm)
Diameters from internet.
diameter of end of barrel-.258-.264(because of rifling)

Goatwhiskers
10-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I knew that would stir up somebody. GW

I'll Make Mine
10-06-2012, 03:41 PM
had somone say about the bullet in muzzle trick. if i reloaded all those calibers i would, but my digital caliper will have to do. any further infomation on what caliber it is?

Ejection port is .909 long, and .391 high.
Slide width is .699

25acp bullet diameter .251 in (6.4 mm)
32 bullet diameter .309 in (7.8 mm)
380 bulet diameter .355 in (9.0 mm)
Diameters from internet.
diameter of end of barrel-.258-.264(because of rifling)

It pretty well has to be .25 ACP; the bore is significantly too small for .32 ACP (shouldn't be smaller than about .296 bore, and groove is usually .308 to .311, depending where/when made) -- unless it's been rebarreled to 7 mm Nambu or something similarly bizarre. It's not uncommon for inexpensive pocket pistols to have oversize bores, especially at the muzzle -- either from poor manufacturing or from cleaning rod wear; it's also possible it has a counterbore type crown (which would be larger than groove diameter at the visible muzzle -- you should be able to see this by shining a light into the muzzle; you'd see the rifling ends a quarter inch or more short of the physical muzzle). Without slugging the bore, you don't really know what it's like down by the chamber (though if it slugs significantly smaller than what you measure at the bore, I wouldn't expect accuracy better than "throw rock" class unless it's due to counterbore).

farmallcrew
10-07-2012, 06:31 AM
I found some loaded shells that i got with a bunch of reloading stuff at an auction. I was going through it, first rounds i found were 32, not even close. Then i found 25 and the lights flickered and the Gun Gods started chanting. So now its time to order parts for it then get it on the range. Im not extpecting much from a range trip with the thing since its a smaller barrel. Thank you for your help!!!

I'll Make Mine
10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
The .25 I owned long ago had a 2.5" or 2.75" barrel (including chamber, the way semi-auto pistols are always measure), but it could still hit a paper plate consistently at twenty feet -- which is about all you'd ever ask of that kind of pistol. Good luck getting it going; I'd got an Excam GT-27 here (Tanfoglio made, same as an FIE Titan .25) that needs a few parts and a second magazine -- and then I'll need a way to hang onto that tiny brass, if I'm to afford to shoot it regularly...

GT27
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
7-10 yard gun,the 25acp is enough to pi$$ the assailant off,don't expect any more than that!I have a brother-in-law with a inoperable 25acp slug stuck under his knee-cap,his shooter ended up with a wired jaw afterwards! GT27

farmallcrew
10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Not looking for this toy to be a primary carry piece. This will be just for fun in the range out my basement door, and for deep concelment when i cant conceal my 9mm untill i get a smaller 9mm.

Chev. William
10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I am not sure, but I believe the .25ACP was designed as a 'Pocket Pistol' for carrying in a Vest Pocket or a Lady's Clutch Purse for close quarters self protection, not for stand off ranges. At the Time it would have been a Much Greater Deterrent as the probable infections would have been deadly to the Recipient of the bullets.

Medical treatment near the beginning o fthe 19th Century was slower and more 'chancy' than after the WW1 concluded.

Best Regards,
Chev. William