PDA

View Full Version : Resizing .357 Cases....

Raygun
10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Dumb question! Is there a way to resize .357 magnum cases where the bottom of case (that sits in shell holder) does not look buldged?

Nobade
10-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I like to use the older style steel die sets from the early '70's. The sizers are two diameters, with the area where the bullet sits a bit smaller than the rest of the body. They don't size the cases so much as the modern carbide dies do, but enough so they chamber with no problem.

David2011
10-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Is there a problem with them chambering? I like pretty ammo, too, but if it isn't affecting function is it worth worrying about? The brass will work harden more at the web if it gets sized and expanded every time it's used and could lead to separation. If it is a problem you can go with an older steel die like Nobade said and maybe have it altered to have a very short radius at the mouth so it goes farther down the case. Another option might be to get someone you know that has a milling machine to cut the thickness of a shell holder down. I did that for one of my cartridges that wasn't fully sizing. BTW- shell holders are pretty hard steel. A grinding stone in a mill will do the job pretty easily.

David

Larry Gibson
10-05-2012, 08:49 PM
+1 with the old style stell FL die. The carbid sizer has to size the top end for sufficient tension on the bullet regardless of thin or thick cases. Thus it also then must size the whole case that diameter. That's about the large and the small of it.

Larry Gibson

Dale53
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I just ignore the "problem". I consider it strictly a cosmetic item and don't worry about it.

FWIW
Dale53

Raygun
10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I just ignore the "problem". I consider it strictly a cosmetic item and don't worry about it.

FWIW
Dale53

Thats what I'm thinking. It still buggs me a little. One good thing about it, I can usually distinguish reloaded ammo from new fractory producetion ammo.

williamwaco
10-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Believe me.

If you go back to the old steel dies, you will not stay there long.

btroj
10-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I just ignore it. My 357 brass doesn't really get the bulge much.

Try a Marlin chamber in 45 Colt with a carbide sizer, now that is a bulge!

lmcollins
10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a set of RCBS 38 special steel dies. I used them to load 38spl/357 and made an insert on my lathe to flare 38 Long Colt cases. To deprime 357's you need to put a bit of broken drill bit, or finishing nail into the stem to make the decaping pin longer. When I started loading carbide dies were very expensive.

If you want them send me a PM. You can have them for $15.00 and whatever it cost to ship them to you. I'll send them to you, and you send me a check for $15.00 plus, whatever the mailing cost is.

I'll make that offer to you, or anyother Cast Bullets member.

.22-10-45
10-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Hello, Raygun. If your fired brass will re-chamber..you might try partial or "neck sizing" your cases. I find myself doing this more often for my Colt S.A.A. revolvers..I normally size to where bullet base stops..or just a bit more..cases still fall right in when loading & sizing is alot faster & easier.

leftiye
10-06-2012, 05:23 AM
It's quite easy to grind the radius off of the mouth of the die. Do it too much and you'll have problems getting expanded cases to enter the die. As stated you can make the shell holder lip thinner. Overdo it and the lip lets go. Most sizers size the case too much, and can be opened up a little and will fit oversized cast boolits better than as produced. If this opening up is a little tapered so much the better as the mouth will still be sized somewhat tighter (only if the sizer full length sizes and doesn't size only at the mouth).

captaint
10-06-2012, 07:42 AM
What Mr. waco said. Lubing cases for sizing is a real drag. As long as everything works right, I don't get sweaty over it. Load em & shoot em. enjoy Mike

Raygun
10-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Hello, Raygun. If your fired brass will re-chamber..you might try partial or "neck sizing" your cases. I find myself doing this more often for my Colt S.A.A. revolvers..I normally size to where bullet base stops..or just a bit more..cases still fall right in when loading & sizing is alot faster & easier.

I don't have any problems with cases sticking in chamber, it's just the cosmetic aspect that I've always noticed. This is a good idea and I think I will experiment with it.

Shiloh
10-06-2012, 07:16 PM
For me it is a non-issue.
They chamber with no problems and are accurate.

SHiloh

DCM
10-06-2012, 09:15 PM
If the brass was fired out of your revolver I would go the opposite direction and only "neck size" the area that holds the boolit, therby centering the round in your chamber better and only working the part of the brass that needs it.

Range brass is a different game unless you want to chamber check each one.