PDA

View Full Version : Got the wrong leads, what to do?

novalty
10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Well I picked up a box of Hornady lead to start reloading for my families Winchester '94 in 25-35. Was looking through my reloading manuals where it references using 117gr RN, well the box I picked up is 117gr BTSP. I won't be shooting the gun very much, just bench shooting to get the old girl back out to the range. Should I just try trading/selling, or just load 1 round at a time to avoid and tube detonation?
What I got:
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/2552.jpg

What I should have got:
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/2550.jpg

plainsman456
10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I have shot some of the spitzer bullits in my win 30-30 before,as a single shot.They work.

farmallcrew
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
tube detonation is never good. same as plainsman456, ive shot non flat nose j words out of my winny 94 30-30, cuz i grabbed the wrong box of bullets and started reloading away, got through 3 and realized i had my 308 bullets. it made the same bang and same hole in the paper as a flat nose. if it were me, id keep them and play with them at the range unless your strapped for lead then id try and pawn them for what you need.

gunseller
10-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Load them and shoot them. You just made your lever gun into a 2 shooter. One in the mag and one in the chamber. Any more in the mag could give you a boom not a bang. I have shoot many pointed Jwords in my 30-30s loaded this way.
Steve

rintinglen
10-05-2012, 05:36 PM
What he said.

I shot up several hundred 147 grain fmj bullets that I got from pulled down Machine Gun ammo out of my 30-30. I loaded one, levered it up, loaded a second, and then shot twice. Since I was more interested in learning to use the gun than in testing the mag spring, worked fine for me.

I got the idea fron a Texan I knew in the Marines who swore by Winchester 150 grain Silvertips in his Marlin 336. He claimed they added 50 yards to his effective range. Hornady makes the same claims for their Leverevolution bullets, save that the soft tips give better ballistic co-efficients without the chain fire thing.

TXGunNut
10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Nothing wrong with a two-shooter for most hunting situations.

Idaho Mule
10-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Just buy a 25-06 and kill anything you want to with that bullet.

Salmoneye
10-06-2012, 09:38 AM
The only issue you will have at the range single feeding through the breech, is that you 'may' have a difficult time ejecting due to the long length...

Loading through the breech the extractor will ride up over the rim, and then if you need to extract an unfired round, the long spire 'may' catch and you'll have to finagle the rim loose of the extractor, and tip the gun on it's side to drop the cartridge out...

Ask me how I know ;-)

Oops!

You said Winny '94, not Marlin...

Same may apply, but you may have to finagle and turn the gun over to drop a live cartridge out...

Jeffrey
10-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Paper punching, you should be OK. Hunting, pointed bullets generally need a higher impact velocity than round noses to expand.

Gray Fox
10-06-2012, 10:38 AM
If you try the one in the chamber and one in the tube just be aware that the overall length of the one in the tube may be so long that it will not feed and jam up the gun. Might be best to load a dummy round just to see if it will work with your particular rifle first. GF

7of7
10-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Has anyone actually tried to detonate a primer with a lead tipped bullet? (doesn't work very well, at least with CCI primers)
I took bullet similar to the one pictured above, and positioned it right on the center of the primer, and hit the bullet with a hammer... (like I was trying to one hit a 10 penny nail) The only thing I did, was ruin a perfectly good bullet.. Did the same with a Hornady SST, polymer tip... same results, cut the polymer tip off, same results... (same primer was used, and it ws getting beat up...) After, I put the doner brass, with the live primer in the rifle, and fired it off...
Not trying to tell anyone to do something they feel is unsafe, but, there has to be more to those magazine detonations that isn't being told... Possibly using FMJ's? That, would probably do it.. or even softer primers... like winchester primers..
I do make some nice hollow pointed bullets, that the tip is flat, and the same size as the primer... (130 grain) that I use in my 30-30.. I also don't load it to the max, to get the highest velocity with them either... I load what is comfortable for me, and gives me good accuracy.. bullet placement is King....
I did try to do a magazine of the SST's, and found out that the OAL with the pointed tips, is to long to be used (150 grain) as Gray Fox pointed out...The 117's may work.. as they are shorter.. but, watch the OAL...

novalty
10-07-2012, 06:59 AM
I loaded up a couple test rounds last night, with 19grs of Benchmark, and Federal LR primers. Only issue I had was with one of the new pieces of Winchester brass. I sized all and checked for length, but one of the pieces of brass split at shoulder and part way up the neck when I seated the lead. I wasn't running it fast up into the seater die, so I have no idea what went wrong--most likely defective piece of factory brass.

novalty
10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Here is a picture of my first batch of test loads for 25-35 WCF, along with my first batch of .223 Rem. Already have contacted Hornady to find out why their seater die is marring the leads on my 25-35 rounds.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/038_zpsfa51421e.jpg

northmn
10-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Reading the two shot recommendations reminded me of an old timer that told me about knowing that its a green horn when hunting because they have to load all 7 rounds into their 94 carbines. I usually only load 2 in the magazine anyway, One reason you see smashed noses is the loading of full tubes. Good luck with your efforts.

DP

armexman
10-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Novalty, I do not know what "leads" are? Very amateurish of me as I have not loaded many jacketed loads. So new that I am confused by this terminology. I guess I should go to the stickies;)

novalty
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Finally got out to shoot my first reloads for the 25-35. Had to feed them in one at time from the top, and shot them from approximately 15 yards, I know it isn't very far but just wanted to see how they shot. From a standing position I put all 6 rounds in approximately a 2" group using the factory buckhorn sights. Will try to post a pic of the target tomorrow. What a pleasure it was to put some rounds downrange in my Grandmother's old Winchester levergun--she may have been the last one to shoot it since it has been sitting in my father's safe unused for as long as I can remember. With 19 grains of Benchmark it was extremely light recoil, which my arthritic joints appreciated. One thing I was surprised by was how clean the cases were--didn't seen any tarnishing or powder residue after firing. I can see this quickly becoming one of my favorite range guns.

Elkins45
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Novalty, I do not know what "leads" are? Very amateurish of me as I have not loaded many jacketed loads. So new that I am confused by this terminology. I guess I should go to the stickies;)

I'm guessing that leads is slang for bullets. When I used to work in a darkroom (remember film?) we referred to developing film as "souping" it. Nobody outside the photo business would have had any idea what we were talking about.

Backpacker magazine uses the term "beta" when they mean "info". I really hate that one...I think it's a stupid trendy affectation.

Four Fingers of Death
11-15-2012, 08:09 AM
The Brits call them 'heads' because of all of the anti gun BS over there. Maybe that's what he means. Always fancied a 25/35.

Maybe he should just buy an Axis or similar rifle in 25/06? That head/lead/bullet/projectile should work a treat and run the barrelin nicely for lead boolits down the track, haha. Do they make the American in 25/06?

novalty
11-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes, they make plenty of rifles chambered in 25-06. Sorry for my mis-placed terminology. When I buy components I always think of the complete cartridge needing: brass, primer, powder, and leads. Got into the habit of referring to them as leads, as most people I talk with think bullets are the complete cartridge. Guess I could have phrased them as boolits too. I posted a separate post with the target from my first range trip.

45-70 Chevroner
11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Call them what you will, but they are all "pro-ject-tiles".

Four Fingers of Death
11-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Mostly I have found, a loaded cartridge is called a 'round' and an unloaded bullet is called a bullet (we refer to cast bullets as 'boolits.'

The cartridge I have found normally refers to the particular type, eg,'This is a 30/30 cartridge, I have 200 rounds of it loaded up.'

Or 'my rifle fires the 30/30 cartridge.'

Or 'Opps! I just dropped a round!' (That's the trouble with missing fingers, you are prone to drop things occasionally).

The Brits call bullets 'heads' to be politically correct and try and keep the gun grabbers off their back,. Bad scene, makes Australia almost look like shooter's heaven by comparison, the English have always catered for the rich and the gentry as they have always done and the rest can just take a flying leap.

I was also taught that a bullet is a bullet, but once in flight becomes a projectile as it is being 'projected' towards the target (at a great rate of knots,I might add! :D )

fouronesix
11-15-2012, 07:18 PM
When I first read the OP I thought of wrong alloy or wrong battery cables :veryconfu
Could be worse, the terms "bullet shell" and "dum dum" are still fairly common.

BTW, I have a Win 1894 in 25-35 and shoot the Hornady 117 RN without issue. Two things to do- 1) trim cases to recommended trim length. 2) use a light crimp into the crimp groove of that bullet. I load 22 gr Varget under the 117 Hornady.

Good to hear another lever is out of the closet! I think you'll really like the 25-35.

Four Fingers of Death
11-15-2012, 11:34 PM
I have never seen one in the flesh! They would be a very versitile rifle for most of what people shoot most of the time.

mack1
11-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Just buy a 25-06 and kill anything you want to with that bullet.

I would recomend a 257 Roberts, I think it would look better next to a 25-35.

Four Fingers of Death
11-16-2012, 06:08 AM
I would recomend a 257 Roberts, I think it would look better next to a 25-35.

A Bob and a 25/35, that would be a nice combo!