PDA

View Full Version : A light moment

Harter66
10-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Aka flash back.

Yes that's right, I had a moment of wantonness to reclaim the joy of childhood. Just a flash as I took out the trash and caught a glimpse of the glackets I've been tumbling the paint off of for my granddaughters . I remembered the joy of having amassed $10 worth of pureys,steelies,cats eyes,agies,half pints and boulders. Funny how a marble can put a smile on you face w/the reflection of just what simple standards of success we once held in our lives.

DIRT Farmer
10-05-2012, 11:31 PM
I have woundered what happened to the colection of real marbles, rocks that were close, ball berings that came out of farm equipment and the cheap pottery ones that I had.

smoked turkey
10-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I often reminese (spelling?) about the old times with our two sons when they were small and now their kids. They all grow up too fast. I was thinking just today about two make up characters the grand daughter and I used to play. My make believe guy was one I named Rodney, and hers was a character named Tuna. Pure sillyness but did we ever have a good time. Those were the days before the kids got too busy for such things.

blackthorn
10-06-2012, 11:28 AM
When my two boys were small the local gas station had a promotion where, if you filled up, you got to take as many multi-colored cat's eye marbles as you could grab-up in one hand. At the end of the promotion the owner had a full case (5000) of those marbles left over. I got them for $5.00 and took them home. We had to ration them out or we spent more time than enough picking them up. After the boys were in their teens there were still over 1000 left and I gave them to a guy with six kids and not much money. His kids sure appreciated those marbles. His wife----not so much!

theperfessor
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Marbles was a cut throat game when I was a kid, winner keeps the marbles they knock out of the circle. Marbles were like money.

Harter66
10-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Us too professor.

Houndog
10-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Marbles was a cut throat game when I was a kid, winner keeps the marbles they knock out of the circle. Marbles were like money.

Same here!
Sadly, today's kids don't have any idea about playing marbles, cowboys & Indians or any of the other make believe things we did, but give them a Wee or some other electronic gizmo and it's off to the races! It's sad really, and it's OUR fault for not passing these things on to them.

DIRT Farmer
10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
And if momma cought you playing for keeps the belt cameout.

firefly1957
10-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Sound like the marbles i played too and do not tell mother you lost them in a game that is gambling!

DLCTEX
10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Our school outlawed "keepers" in marbles and tops, but could not enforce it, as the peer pressure on anyone who ratted was too great. I still see marbles around, but haven't seen a wooden top in many years.

popper
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
A game of skill, like penny pitching. Not gambling, just a game with rewards and a lot safer than mumblypeg. Used to be a lot of books about marble shooting. Only danger was stepping on one lost on the hardwood floor.