PDA

View Full Version : Potter electric bottom pour furnace

odinohi
10-05-2012, 11:24 AM
This Is a small 4 pound electric pot. I have done a little research and found info about a inline switch. This doesn't have that. The cord is a two prong cord, but the pot has three prongs. I'm not sure if I would plug it in the two different positions to get different temps? Any ideas?48356

The coffee can is a one pounder for comparison

I'll Make Mine
10-05-2012, 04:47 PM
An inline switch can be added to any two-wire cord, but the three prongs on the pot may be for either grounding (check continuity from all three prongs to metal pot and/or frame) or for temperature control; if it's a grounded implement, it's unsafe to operate without the correct grounded cord (plugged into a correctly grounded outlet).

Based on the plug in your second photo, this may have used a control similar to those on older electric frying pans or deep fryers or even some electric blankets; if so, the third prong might have been for a temperature feedback of some kind (thermocouple, for instance) and you may be able to find an in line controller that will work with the internal wiring you have. I certainly wouldn't attempt to operate it at all without at least knowing how the three prongs are connected (which have continuity where, and how much resistance, which determines how much power they'll draw).

Roundnoser
10-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Potter made a few different models of their electric pot. Your model would have been for a "Hi - Lo" inline swtich.

They also made a model with an On-Off switch on a seperate cord (it had 4 prongs in the back). and a two prong model that had only one heat setting and was turned off by disconnecting the plug from the electrical source.

I would think that inserting the plug into alternating prongs would give you two different melting temperatures. let us know how you make out.

Echo
10-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I have a couple of these little guys, and just love 'em! I run them from a socket on the wall controlled by a light dimmer that I was smart enough to build in when I wired to room. They are great for short runs of boolits for test purposes. I added stops on top to adjust the pour rate.