PDA

View Full Version : LEE pro auto disk and IMR 4227

steelworker
10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm loading IMR4227 in .44 mag. I would like a charge of 21.0 grains. I can get that on the 1st case, but after that, all the charges vary. Considerably. They are all lower than I want and range from 20.2 to 20.9 I have used a double disk set up (.71 chamber on top and .88 chamber on the bottom) and tried the adjustable charge bar with the same results. What is going on here?

jimkim
10-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Have you broken it in? Have you cleaned it? I have the old Dupont IMR-4227 and with I've had no issues at all. It consistently meters in my Uniflow, LNL, PPM, and LAD. I did get a small piece of trash in some Promo once and my charge weights went wild. I dumped the hopper and cleaned it, then repeated the process several times before I saw it fall into the jug. I ended up sifting it out. Since then I've had no more problems.

Did they change the grain size? Sorry for the hijack.

steelworker
10-05-2012, 06:27 PM
It is brand new. What is there to clean? My other Pro auto disk measures worked great right out of the box.

Mike Hughes
10-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Are you using a new powder thru die? The dies come with a coating of oil, and if not cleaned you will get inconsistent charges.

1bluehorse
10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Seems I remember the directions saying to run two or three hoppers of powder through the measure to "condition" it...I bought mine quite a few years ago so maybe they've changed that. Plus 1 on cleaning the dies.

steelworker
10-06-2012, 07:16 AM
The powder thru die was clean and dry. I will also run several hoppers of powder thru the measure and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!