PDA

View Full Version : Alloy vs boolit size

DrCaveman
10-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I know there has been tons of discussion about this, but I can't seem to find the right search terms to locate the info I am looking for.

Further, the answer to this question should be able to be found through some metallurgy research and understanding, but I have not committed it to memory.

What I would like to see is a chart comparing various alloys to the resultant diameter/size of cast boolits. The LASC link recently re-linked is an awesome one describing the levels of various components within alloys, and my hope is that a similar list/chart can be developed for the manipulation of boolit size.

For instance: I don't know if I should add more lead or tin or antimony in order to make my casts fall a little bigger. There must be a rule of thumb such as: pure lead casts the biggest. Or, maybe the opposite. I can't remember.

Those masters out there, can you help me?

canyon-ghost
10-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Lyman used to cast with Linotype and had smaller bullets. Yes, pure lead will cast the largest in diameter. The harder you make the bullet, the more you need to check the size.

Ron

454PB
10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
It's just the opposite, pure lead will cast smallest (actually less shrinkage), and the more antimony, the larger the boolit. Linotype will generally cast about .002" larger than pure lead using a .44 caliber mould.

swheeler
10-04-2012, 10:43 PM
As a general rule of thumb, pure pb will cast smallest and Lt will cast largest diameter bullets.

runfiverun
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM
page 58 of the lyman number 3 casting book has a chart you can guage other alloys from.
like was said if you need a slightly bigger boolit add more stuff to the lead.
need em a bit smaller add more soft lead.

DrCaveman
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Smwheeler

Thanks for the rule of thumb, since that is what we seem to work from when pouring our own. Kinda like my beer & cider, recipes only go so far.

Runfiverun thank you as always for the insight. Since I am not yet sure whether my boolits are too large or too small for my new 45, I will hold off on adjustments.