PDA

View Full Version : Rem 510 TargetMaster

Uncle Grinch
10-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I swear I had posted this question last week, but can't find it now.
Must be another bout of "oldtimers" kicking in..

Anyway, I picked up a nice Remington 510 TargetMaster single shot 22 at a recent gun show that looks like it had been oiled and put up in a closet as it was covered with a oily dusty layer of crud.

I decided to clean it up and see how good I could make it look. Everything went ok until I tried to remove the bolt. Now how complicated can a single shot 22 rifle be? For the life of me, I cannot get the bolt out.

Please enlighten me with your knowledge. Maybe I can't see the forest for the tree.

Hickory
10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Push the safety forward then extract the bolt.
If you ever want to get rid of that rifle let me know.

mainiac
10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
My youngest son inherited a 510 rem a few years ago. Nice ol gun!

Think if you pull the trigger back,the bolt will slide right out. Think the trigger sear is a part time bolt stop!

Hickory
10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
My youngest son inherited a 510 rem a few years ago. Nice ol gun!

Think if you pull the trigger back,the bolt will slide right out. Think the trigger sear is a part time bolt stop!

I was thinking that the 510 was like my 541-s, where the safety is pushed forward for the bolt to come out.
I guess I'm mistaken again.:-(

Uncle Grinch
10-05-2012, 01:22 AM
I was thinking that the 510 was like my 541-s, where the safety is pushed forward for the bolt to come out.
I guess I'm mistaken again.:-(

You are correct. The safety has to be pushed forward after pulling the bolt back.

Clark
10-05-2012, 11:18 AM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/Rem510DSCF0017b.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/Rem510RestoreDSCF0021-1.jpg

My brother, shown, got a Rem 510 for $7 ~ 40 years ago.

I helped restore it.

Since then I have bought a number of Rem 510, 511, and 512 rifles.

I do not follow the guidelines for Weaver mounts, I use the same mount front and rear, a #43 and keep them both on the receiver.

EdS
10-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Removing the bolt from a Rem 510 takes some manipulation of the safety and the trigger. Just remember that every time you pull the bolt back it automatically puts the rifle "on safe", so you have to push the safety forward again. -Ed

izzyjoe
10-06-2012, 10:34 PM
those are great little rifles, that safety takes some getting used to. i regret it, but i sold mine two years ago. it was a good shooter.

pcmacd
03-09-2020, 10:06 PM
I've a 510. Belonged to my beloved neighbor who passed a few years ago.

It almost looks brand new on the outside, but the bore needs all manner of work.

I can't get the bolt out. Safety forward, safety back, pull trigger. Nothing. Nada. Nichts. Zilch.

It won't even dry fire!

What the What?

Help!

elk hunter
03-10-2020, 09:37 AM
I've a 510. Belonged to my beloved neighbor who passed a few years ago.

It almost looks brand new on the outside, but the bore needs all manner of work.

I can't get the bolt out. Safety forward, safety back, pull trigger. Nothing. Nada. Nichts. Zilch.

It won't even dry fire!

What the What?

Help!

There is a rib, if you can call it that, on the bottom of the Remington 500 series bolts that is easily broken if roughly handled and can jamb the bolt so it no longer works. I suspect that is what happened to your rifle. My older son, who I swear could break an iron ball with his bare hands when he was a kid, managed to break his rifle. IIRC I had to completely disassemble the rifle to get the bolt out. I couldn't find another bolt body so I eventually TIG welded the rib back to the bolt and was able to clean it up and make it work. I wouldn't want to do that job again.

I can only hope my diagnosis is wrong. Good luck.

pcmacd
03-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Got it.

Took off the stock.

With flashlight determined that, indeed, forward is "safety off" and put it there.

Wiggled and jiggled trigger with muzzle down. Out it came.

Disassembled bolt and it was clean as a whistle inside to the point that there was little use for a soak in Ed's Red. And oiled? Surprise!

Now for the bore.... ugh.

TCLouis
03-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Some of those old "set back in the closet years ago"guns needt to have metal removed fome the stock and judicious application of brake cleaner applied.
OR
other good solvent.

Oil gets a bit stiff after many many years.

pcmacd
03-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Some of those old "set back in the closet years ago"guns needt to have metal removed fome the stock and judicious application of brake cleaner applied.
OR
other good solvent.

Oil gets a bit stiff after many many years.

Mine was manufactured 1946, when the original/only owner was 18 years of age.

It is in astounding condition - 98% (maybe more, modern firearm), only problem is a couple of spots of truly ugly carbon fouling in bore, which is otherwise as new. I don't want to put the bolt back in until I get the bore clean.

Carb-Out, here we are.