PDA

View Full Version : Undersized expander ball for RCBS 44 Spl die

GBertolet
10-04-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a problem. I have an older S&W 29 44 mag that has .433 cylinder throats. I mostly use 44 spl loads in it. I have a Lyman 429348 WC mold that casts .433 which I have been using unsized tumble lubed. I have the older style RCBS die set, that has the decapper and expander together. The expander is .4275, and I know my bullets are being swaged as I seat them in the case. I contacted RCBS and they were of little help as they only had a cowboy expander of .4285 diameter available. I think around .431 would be the correct size. I thought of purchasing a Lee universal expander die that flares the mouth only, and use unsized cases which easily fit in the cylinder chambers. Does anyone have a different work around solution for this? I tried using the 44 expander die on unsized cases to flair the mouths. It's a less than snug fit, but the crimp seems to hold, although I can spin the bullets in the case with some effort. The unsized rounds chamber easy in my S&W. I am using Bullseye powder, so I guess as long as the bullets don't back out during recoil I may be OK.

10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
While it may not be the least expensive way to go about getting the proper neck tension, for my .433", .44 Special boolits, I use a Lyman M-die with a custom expander plug. (Though forum member Buckshot didn't make this particular one, he does make them to exact specifications, and his price is very reasonable.)

Keep in mind, that anything mass produced is dimensioned for jacketed bullets, including the Lee flaring die. Also, while the previously fired case will fit the charge holes, they won't necessarily provide the proper boolit tension.

Sometimes, casting our own boolits is not a money-saving endeavor, but I view the price of my independence, increased accuracy, and shooting satisfaction as a small price to have to pay.

LAH
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
+1 give Buckshot a shout.

Guess you could purchase a 45 expander die & turn it down. You will be amazed what can be down with a drill & file.

Moonie
10-05-2012, 10:57 AM
The lee flaring die is dimensioned for jacketed bullets? You sure about that? All it does is flare cases, it doesn't do anything other than add a flare, I don't see how this would be dimensioned for jacketed bullets...

I do agree, the solution to your problem would be an M-die with an expander by Buckshot.

10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Moonie,
You are correct.

gray wolf
10-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I had the same problem, had a custom M die made and it helped.
BUT--R C B S sent me the cowboy expander you are referring to and it measures
.4295 almost .430 it works fine for my .432 bullets. Fact is I had to make it .429
with a little polishing.
IMHO I don't think .002 frictional fit is enough unless your bullets are very soft.
I would give the RCBS cowboy expander a try, they will probly send it to you for free.