PDA

View Full Version : M-66 no dash question

2shot
10-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I picked up a nice S&W m-66 no dash with a 4" barrel a few years ago. Nice gun but I'm having a problem with my 357 loads in it. Up until last week I have only shot mild 38's in it, last week was the only time I had tried 357's. With the 357 load is Lyman 358429 with 7 grains of Unique in Starline 357 brass all my shots hit low. Trying 158 grain boolits it hit even lower.

Now before everybody says raise your sights because the faster 357's will hit lower with a gun sighted in for 38's I will say I have raised my sights. With only 1-2 turns of the threads left on the elevation screw my 357 loads are still hitting about 6 inches low at 50 feet. There is no more adjustment left to raise them higher. I did think that someone might have changed the rear sight blade to a shorter one because of using lower velocity 38's but I checked it and it's the .146 blade that I understand came from the factory with this gun and 4" barrels.

I don't want to file down the front sight but I'm thinking of getting a taller rear sight so I have more room for elevation adjustments. I'm wondering if this is a common problem with the 66. I have Model 14's, 28's, 57's and 629's and have never had a problem with not enough adjustments for elevation. This is the first S&W that I ever had a problem like this.

Any ideas besides changing out the rear sight blade?

2shot

x101airborne
10-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I had the same thing on my model 66-6. I just called S&W and they sent me a new front blade for free.

2shot
10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I will have to look but I don't think the front post on a M-66 no dash is replacable but sometimes those darn pins holding them in disappear. The no dash models have the all stainless sights on them and I know that they changed them with newer model numbers because people said they couldn't see the sights because they are SS but don't know when. I think the sight change was with the 66-1 but I could be wrong.

I'm guessing your 66-6 has blued sights on it?

2shot

H.Callahan
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
The no dash models have the all stainless sights on them and I know that they changed them with newer model numbers because people said they couldn't see the sights because they are SS but don't know when. I think the sight change was with the 66-1 but I could be wrong.Not correct. The later model no-dashes also had the blued sights. The sight change was done slightly before the -1 came out. I have one of the original no-dash 66s with the blued sights. I purchased it new in the early to mid 1970s.

2shot
10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Not correct. The later model no-dashes also had the blued sights. The sight change was done slightly before the -1 came out. I have one of the original no-dash 66s with the blued sights. I purchased it new in the early to mid 1970s.

Okay I was close. Mine must be an early one. :2_high5:

Still have to figure out how to raise the POI to POA.

x101airborne
10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Hmmm.... That is quite a conundrum. I would still contact S&W if you can get them on the phone. Nice that you have an early 66! Congrats!

farmallcrew
10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Same thing happened to my neighbor where i used to live, he thought it was him at first, i made him other loads, same problem. I said about calling S&W, and they sent him new sight. and like others mentioned, nice grab for a 66.

9.3X62AL
10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Heck of a nice rollerpistole--it's worth the effort to get the sights and barrel looking into the same ZIP Code.

You might ask S&W or Brownell's if they have a whole rear sight assembly for the 19/66 with the taller rear blade. Lots easier to undo 2 screws and replace the assembly than to fight with that strange retainer nut on the threaded rear blade adjuster stem.

When we carried S&W 19s (instead of Glock 19s) and 586s, Millett had a GREAT aftermarket sight for these revolvers. I installed dozens of these sights when I ran my little supply store/FFL, and I'm sad to report that these sights are now out of print. The revolver accessory aftermarket has contracted in size since autopistols got the nod for police service in this country. Now the "smart money" is in AR-15/M-4gery accessorizing. Barbie Dolls For Mall Ninjas. A benighted day, indeed.

km101
10-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Heck of a nice rollerpistole--it's worth the effort to get the sights and barrel looking into the same ZIP Code.

You might ask S&W or Brownell's if they have a whole rear sight assembly for the 19/66 with the taller rear blade. Lots easier to undo 2 screws and replace the assembly than to fight with that strange retainer nut on the threaded rear blade adjuster stem.

When we carried S&W 19s (instead of Glock 19s) and 586s, Millett had a GREAT aftermarket sight for these revolvers. I installed dozens of these sights when I ran my little supply store/FFL, and I'm sad to report that these sights are now out of print. The revolver accessory aftermarket has contracted in size since autopistols got the nod for police service in this country. Now the "smart money" is in AR-15/M-4gery accessorizing. Barbie Dolls For Mall Ninjas. A benighted day, indeed.

Nope, no S&W rear sight assembly at Brownell's. I tried them yesterday! And there are no Millet or Behlert's either. I have been looking for them for years. You can buy a complete rear sight assy. from S&W for $56.58 plus shipping, part # 223430000. I dont know if you can order it with the taller blade though. But if you are handy with screwdrivers, you can order the taller blade and install it yourself. But it's kinda delicate if you havent done it before.

I bought 2 Mdl 66's in jan of 1971. The serial numbers were within 100 digits of each other. One shot low and one did not. I sent the one that shot low back to Smith and they corrected it. It had a different barrell on it whan it came back. Not sure why or what it corrected, but it shot point of aim when it came back.

km101
10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Just got home to check, and it appears that on my 66's the front sights are not replaceable. I cannot find any pins anywhere. And I used a magnigying glass to check. LOL

2shot
10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Just got home to check, and it appears that on my 66's the front sights are not replaceable. I cannot find any pins anywhere. And I used a magnigying glass to check. LOL

This is what I have found too. I think the front sight was part of the barrel until they changed to blued sights.

I've checked Brownell's also and they do not have a taller rear sight. I have an extre rear sight with a taller blade for a N frame but the holes miss lining up by about 1/8 inch so that's out. I knew the N frame sight was different but I just had to try.

I'll give S&W a call and see what they have to say. They have given my good service in the past but that was with gun models that were still in production.

BTW I got this M-66 at a Cabela's grand opening. The gun is in like new condition and has hardly been fired. I was looking for one of these 66's to use as a CCW because I'm on the big side (6'4" and 250#) and can easily conceal it. The best part was I used my Cabela's points and a $150 off in I spent over $500 coupon. The gun was listed for $450 and with tax and everything else came to $499. The salesman say to me "go pick out something for a dollar and I can then use the $150 off coupon". I went and picked up a bag of cleaning patches and when all was said and done the total cost out of pocket for me for both the 66 and the patches was under 2 dollars! The best 2 dollars I ever spent ! [smilie=w:

This gun was out with the other used pistols and there were 2 other 66's that were in Cabela's Gun Library that they were asking more money for but the guns were trashed. Mine looks like someone bought it and put it in a nightstand until they traded it in.

2shot

2shot
10-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Oh Happy Day!

I just looked close at my front sight and it IS pinned. Now I just have to contact S&W to see if they have another shorter front sight in SS so I can keep this pistollie all original.

2shot

bobthenailer
10-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Try Weigand S&W rear sight assy avalible from Brownells or Midway . a friend has 2 of them and ther really nice far superior target rear blade compaired to S&W + the option of different size width rear sight notch.

km101
10-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh Happy Day!

I just looked close at my front sight and it IS pinned. Now I just have to contact S&W to see if they have another shorter front sight in SS so I can keep this pistollie all original.

2shot

WHAT A DEAL! I never run into anything like that. Glad that the sight is replaceable. Even if they dont have a shorter front sight, you can buy another and file it, and keep the original to put back if you want to return to original condition. Snd Smith does still have parts for it.
Let me know if you decide to sell it. I'll give you TWICE what you paid for it. :bigsmyl2: