10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5722982&convertTo=USD

I couldn't help myself, that's a lifetime supply right there

Lefty SRH
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
For several people!

MBTcustom
10-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Opening bid is $150. If we got enough members together on this, we could hook up our folks for a very long time!

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Group buy!

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-04-2012, 10:46 AM
So, it says requires mutilation.
How does one mutilate lead? Or do they mean changing it's shape? :takinWiz:

I can mutilate lead at 195 grains at a time, but 158k pounds will take me awhile :)

MBTcustom
10-04-2012, 10:49 AM
It probably requires destroying/defacing any markings on the lead. We do this all the time at my day job.

spuddicus
10-04-2012, 11:27 AM
yeah the listing shows that mutilation on site or offsite by a certified DoD person,

How much propane would be needed to cast 160,000 corn cob ingots?

And is there anyone with a big enough truck?

x101airborne
10-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Wish I was still in North Bama. That would be a short trip and I knew a guy with 2 18 wheelers. It would have cost me two cases of beer and fuel.

H.Callahan
10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
yeah the listing shows that mutilation on site or offsite by a certified DoD person.I think it has to be WITNESSED by a DoD person. The buyer gets to do the mutilation.

Lefty SRH
10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Wish I was still in North Bama. That would be a short trip and I knew a guy with 2 18 wheelers. It would have cost me two cases of beer and fuel.

I'm in north Alabama! I don't have too many connections though.

spuddicus
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I think it has to be WITNESSED by a DoD person. The buyer gets to do the mutilation.

Meant to type that
;)

wlc
10-04-2012, 02:08 PM
A fella would need one BIG smelting pot for that.:D I wonder if thats all more or less "pure" lead.....

Oreo
10-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I think one needs to clarify what exactly will pass as "mutilation". Perhaps all one needs is a good sledge hammer. Maybe a chainsaw.

If anyone ever really wanted to make a serious attempt at something like this I'd be down to help / participate.

Gator 45/70
10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah...I'm in for a crate..61 left to go...

I'll Make Mine
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I think you'd need four or five 18-wheelers to move that much -- and the auction states that mutilation has to take place (either on site, or at buyer's facility witnessed by DOD rep) before title transfers. I suspect the mutilation is to ensure the material isn't resold as is or transferred out of the country intact (the latter could potentially transfer classified information).

I don't even know how you'd go about mutilating 79+ tons of lead in a manner that would disguise its prior form, short of melting it -- and I bet you'd have to re-crate it afterward to ship it. Like a lot of government "scrap" auctions, you'd spend much more moving it than it cost you to buy it...

bowfin
10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
How many flatbed trailer loads would 158,500 pounds be?

Anybody have any insight?

Okay, I was posting when the answer was given by I'll Make Mine.

Fellas, if I were rich...

...I wouldn't be so for long...

I'll Make Mine
10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Probably depends on state highway laws, but I seem to recall a limit of around 20 or so tons of payload in the box trailers that haul out of the warehouse I work in (I don't work with the trailers, so I could be off by a significant factor). The legal limitation is usually load per axle, which leads to some odd things sometimes (like concrete mixer trucks with six axles, three of which are hydraulically retractable for when they haven't got a full mixer).

runfiverun
10-04-2012, 05:14 PM
usually 16,000 per axle except in states that go by bridge weight.

mac60
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
20 tons is about right. Your gross wgt. can't exceed 80,000 lbs. 12k on the steering axle, 34k on the drive wheels and 34k on the trailer tandems. Trailers with axles spread 10 ft. apart can go up to 40k on the trailer tandems (that doesn't change the gross requirements of 80,000 - so if you went 40k on the trailer tandems, the difference of 6,000 would have to come off somewhere else, probably the drive wheels). Some carriers can get exemptions. If you're overweight going over the scales the fine you pay in effect becomes your overweight permit. I haul compressed gas cylinders and on my particular trailer (it's a 10 on 2 spread axle) my payload limit is 44,500 lbs. So you're probably looking at 4 loads (depending on how you load it - could be more than 4)

bob208
10-04-2012, 06:36 PM
i would be interested in some a ton or 2.

alamogunr
10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Every time something like this comes up, I go to the site and do a little speculating how it could be handled. I can't help myself. I've got at least 2 tons stashed away in various alloys(mostly coww) and it is doubtful that I will run out before my time runs out, but after years of scrounging, it is hard to stop dreaming.

Crash_Corrigan
10-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I sent in a question as to what mutiliation is required to satisfy the DOD and I expect a reply by 2014.....

waksupi
10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
20 tons is about right. Your gross wgt. can't exceed 80,000 lbs. 12k on the steering axle, 34k on the drive wheels and 34k on the trailer tandems. Trailers with axles spread 10 ft. apart can go up to 40k on the trailer tandems (that doesn't change the gross requirements of 80,000 - so if you went 40k on the trailer tandems, the difference of 6,000 would have to come off somewhere else, probably the drive wheels). Some carriers can get exemptions. If you're overweight going over the scales the fine you pay in effect becomes your overweight permit. I haul compressed gas cylinders and on my particular trailer (it's a 10 on 2 spread axle) my payload limit is 44,500 lbs. So you're probably looking at 4 loads (depending on how you load it - could be more than 4)

Mac, if you only hauled helium, you could carry a lot more tanks!

MBTcustom
10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Every time something like this comes up, I go to the site and do a little speculating how it could be handled. I can't help myself. I've got at least 2 tons stashed away in various alloys(mostly coww) and it is doubtful that I will run out before my time runs out, but after years of scrounging, it is hard to stop dreaming.

It aint dreaming if we could get organized and make it hap'm cap'm. If we could get even 1/10th of the board moving in one direction we would all come out ahead I think.
Oh well, it probably is dreaming, but its good to dream in lead.:drinks:

Lefty SRH
10-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Not sure what I can do or how to do, but I'd like a piece of that HEEP!

Does anyone know exactly what alloy?

mac60
10-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Mac, if you only hauled helium, you could carry a lot more tanks!

I've been curious about that myself. I've never had it explained to me, but an empty cyl. weighs less than a full one - so the gas does weigh something (there's no liquid at all in a high pressure cyl. - it's pumped and used as a gas) - weird huh?

If y'all need a driver I volunteer my services (you can pay me in lead;-))

cal50
10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
That would be the mother load haul of lead for sure and I would love a piece of that action. I have been trying to find a scrap keel thinking that would be huge. I was wrong!

Oreo
10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Helium may not be liquid in those cylinders but it is compressed which increases its density, which by definition reduces buoyancy. Compress the gas enough and it weighs more then the air around the cylinder and then you see the weight of the gas register on the scale.

Now, about this lead... I'm thinking you folks who own & operate 18 wheelers are in the best position to make this happen. Each driver hauls as many loads as he can and does what he likes with what he hauls. Naturally, the rest of us would like to purchase your excess for a price that hopefully is below spot price but still compensates you for your service.

Superfly
10-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Interstate rules allows me to haul 13280lb on the stear axel 34 k on my drives and 44 k on my tri axel trailer. With a empty weight of 32k truck and trailer and a gross rolling weight of 80k. That gives about 24 ton on the load this is with my rig and there not all the same.

you would need 3 trucks to legally do this haul

blackbike
10-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Yea we could ship it USPS for only $30,000
ha ha ha
BB

Oreo
10-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Is that using FRBs? The poor mail man!

L1A1Rocker
10-05-2012, 12:08 AM
WOW! What a find. Just like everything else it comes to $$$s.

1) What constitutes mutilitation - is a waver possible? This alone could sink the deal as it could literally take a year to do this by hand.

2) Transport is going to be a bear! Although, it seems that there are a number of big rig operators on the forum. Getting the required rigs there at the same time may also be a problem.

3) What about loading/unloading? Is there a forklift or crane onsite that can load these? Same for the off load - wherever that may be.

4) Breaking this down into lots and shipping to those in the GB is also going to be a Hurculian task. Too much for a flat rate box LOL! These would have to be boxed up and strapped to a shipping crate. U-Ship anybody??? (I do NOT want Jerid shipping this - maybe the hottie cowgirl???

5) And, what is the alloy? Is it a consistant alloy?

Someone has sent a question to the .gov on the mutilation issue. This as a contracted organization so I'd expect an answer withing a couple of business days.

OK, that's what I got for now.

DRNurse1
10-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Mr Good Steel:

This sounds like a great weekend project for the Cast Boolits Group Buy Crew. 80 folks and a truck each would make short work of this project. Buy and smelt on site into ingots should deface it sufficiently, load a ton each into your truck and head on home. How much beer would it take to get a crew and equipmet to Portsmouth, VA ????

DRNurse1

Opening bid is $150. If we got enough members together on this, we could hook up our folks for a very long time!

Smitty's Retired
10-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Approximately 62 crates would be around 1.28 tons per crate. Although some of the crates look larger than others in the photo given.

With DOD and DLA mutilation means to alter the item so that it cannot be used as originally intended. This could be as little as removing serial numbers, to drilling an additional hole or cutting an item into two pieces. I can't tell for sure in the photo's given, but in one photo (with the plastic wrap) it appears to be large blocks maybe like ballast weights for machinery??? DLA and DRMO usually have an inspector on location to insure adhearence to whatever guidlines.

The only thing that confuses me, is that usually if an item is to be sold off as scrap at a government installation, and the Shop Project Order of an end item says it has restrictions at the DRMO process that the item cannot be used as originally intended when sold as scrap, the installation usually performs whatever is needed to prevent the original intended use. For instance.... if you have a Cummins 6V53T engine block that is out of dimension within the cylender sleeve bores, then before it can be scrapped and sent to DRMO, a large hole that cannot be repaired is cut in the block. This may not be true at all installations, but has been for the ones I have worked at and especially at DEPOT level.

Smitty

MBTcustom
10-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Well, we've got two weeks to figure it out. Still not a single bid on all that lead.
I would love to jump in there and get this going, but I have no facility to store it, I don't know anybody with trucks, It would cost a few thousand $$$ to get this stuff hauled off, but think about it! We could sell it here on cast boolits for .75 per lb and make $118,875.00.
I think that would offset the cost of the shipping just a touch, it would also make a good profit for the site. This has good idea written all over it.
So its expensive, so what? If it pays off then its worth it.
Of course, I say this and sure as shootin, some investor will swoop in and slap down a $50,000 bid at the last moment.
I'm going to be really sick if that ends up being shoved off the dock because nobody could afford to buy it.

I'll Make Mine
10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Well, don't forget, they can't just bury it or drop it into the sea (at least not in territorial waters) -- it's lead, it's toxic, it's hazardous waste. If it doesn't sell, they'll have to do something to make it sell, or pay a huge amount to remediate it.

Like you said, Tim, the most likely thing is some investor who owns a bucket loader and one or more 18 wheelers will probably put in a bid at 10 cents a pound at the last minute. It does look as if they'd let an established operator haul it before mutilating (he might have to pay expenses for the DOD inspector to come to his facility and witness the mutilation in that case) -- which might make it right up Rotometal's alley.

Sasquatch-1
10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
If we had 100 people put in $200.00 each that would be $20,000.00. I live about 4 hrs away and would be happy to drive down and get a thousand pounds and help with mutilation. I would take more but I only have a half ton PU.

Also, If anyone has accesss to a pile drive or a LARGE roller, they migh work for mutilation.

With 100 people at $200.00 per person that would give each person 1585 lbs. At the going rate of about $1.00 a pound that's a saving of just under $1400.00.

Somebody double check my math. Taht just DON'T seem right.

Jim
10-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Many years ago, a friend gave me a 50 lb. brick of lead that was ballast from a boomer sub. There was a federal stock number stamped in the broadside of the block. From the photo, it appears to be in bricks. I wonder if that's what this lead is. If so, that would explain the requirement of mutilation, to destroy that number.

spuddicus
10-05-2012, 08:14 AM
I'd definitly be in to spend some $ on this. Alabama is a bit far from NC but I could make the drive to get my share...

lwknight
10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
What the hay needs mutilating?
Looks like a bunch of misc. ingots to me.
I bet the inspector would get tired of watching the 12" dutch oven pot mutilating 158,000 pounds of lead and just sign off on it anyway.

Blammer
10-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Contact the Foundry in Johnson City TN, they have a contractor who will deliver it for a decent price to his foundry, he can melt it for you and put it in the shape you want for a decent price. (cheaper since you're poviding the lead and shipping and pick up from his place)

then just "ship it out" :)

I think last I was quoted was around $400 for delivery of 6 tons to my house (I live about an hour away), it may be cheaper the more you have delivered.

IF it's pure lead or something we could use. Wonder if it contains zinc or other stuff we don't want.

zuke
10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Anyone get a definite answer on what "mutilation" is required?

Blammer
10-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Heck you buy it for $300 and then just haul it to a scrap yard and get scrap wt for all you can't carry home. :)

trying2learn
10-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Heck you buy it for $300 and then just haul it to a scrap yard and get scrap wt for all you can't carry home. :)

Ok so someone needs to have his hanf slapped for raising it. Lol completely kidding. However if you guys manage to get it i bet myself and a lot of others on here would surely jump on that deal to get some.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mrbillbus
10-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Fellas, if I were rich...

...I wouldn't be so for long...

Which is why so few people are rich. They ain't normal! :veryconfu

;-)
Bill

mrbillbus
10-05-2012, 09:47 AM
.... and I expect a reply by 2014.....

Gotta love an optimist! ;-)

Bill

375RUGER
10-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Figure about 25 cents per pound just in the shipping alone. I don't know what this gov lead usually sells for but if you had to ship it any distance you'd have to get a good deal on the auction part like 10 cents or less per pound.

I had 6 trucks of equipment moved from very near there to New Mexico and it cost $36000 and didn't weight near 80ton.

Best would be to get storage nearby and repackage into 58# MFR boxes then you only have to pay 20 cents per pound 1 time instead of twice. I'm going on the assumption that the bricks lend themselves to this with minimum rework like cutting with a bandsaw. From the pics it looks most will fit in MFR.

If I had $50,000 and I could get it to my door for that. That's how I'd bid on it. That would be a good deal to me 31 cents per #.

If each person was in for minimum 500# + $100 MFR shipping + some handling fee..............what's it worth per pound to you?

Or 62 people in for 2500#, each one gets a crate and ships it to himself with Consolidated or whoever.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Would a couple of wacks with a 3 lb hammer be enough to mutilate an ingot?

Superfly
10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Get a torch melt the #s off off the chunks probably all that is needed

chboats
10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm betting the Chinese buy it. A friend with a trap range had it mined. Ended up with 40 55 gal drums of shot. The Chinese offered him a $1.00 a pound right out of the ground with out cleaning.

Carl

Crash_Corrigan
10-05-2012, 01:45 PM
This could work out. We need to pool our resources together and get this 80 tons of lead shipped to the foundry mentioned earlier (TE?) and melted down into ingots.

Then we get it packaged into packages that weigh less than 70 lbs and ship it to ourselves all over the country.

The mutiliation question has been answered by the auction people as follows:

"Items offered for sale as “scrap” that require mutilation must be totally
destroyed and must be rendered useless beyond the possibility of restoration.
For example, items would need to be cut, melted or shredded. Buyer agrees to
allow US Government personnel to also witness the mutilation of property. GL
personnel, in their sole discretion, shall determine whether or not mutilation
has been accomplished in accordance with GL’s Terms and Conditions."

That is right from the horses mouth. The DOD guy or gal would have to go to our foundry and witness the melting of the alloy into ingots that would not be able to be used for the original purpose for the lead.

All we need now if for someone to figure out the costs involved, assemble the investors and do the deed. Any volunteers?

spuddicus
10-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Well there are foundries near the location, if this has any teeth someone could contact them and see if they'd provide transportation and recasting services. it's a 4 hour trip each way for me but I'd be willing to try and package up the ingots and ship them out once the mutilation and casting was completed. Might take me a few days to move that much, lol. Don't know how foundries work but they could potentiall get a slice of the raw lead as partial payment to cut on out of pocket costs.....

I dunno..

the USPS people would be pissed.

DRNurse1
10-05-2012, 02:59 PM
What the hay needs mutilating?
Looks like a bunch of misc. ingots to me.
I bet the inspector would get tired of watching the 12" dutch oven pot mutilating 158,000 pounds of lead and just sign off on it anyway.

Lets see: A govmn't employee hanging out with this great bunch o-folks signing off on smelted lead ingots. I don't think that inspector would overlook a bit, maybe even re-inspect the dross to be sure. This may take more than one weekend.

I have a week's vacation coming up next month. If we can get this project organized, I would be happy to spend some time in Portsmouth for the group.

spuddicus
10-05-2012, 03:39 PM
lol we could set up in a storage unit or two for the smelting..... just leave the dross for the storage wars people

Sasquatch-1
10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
lol we could set up in a storage unit or two for the smelting..... just leave the dross for the storage wars people

Yeah, and we could use the idiots from Shipping Wars to transport it.

"Duh, 80 tons of lead...I can fit that in my horse trailer...I'll bid $500. delivered to the left coast."

I'll Make Mine
10-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah, and we could use the idiots from Shipping Wars to transport it.

"Duh, 80 tons of lead...I can fit that in my horse trailer...I'll bid $500. delivered to the left coast."

Doubtless 80 tons of lead would fit into a horse trailer, but there might be a problem towing it once loaded... :groner:

Sasquatch-1
10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Doubtless 80 tons of lead would fit into a horse trailer, but there might be a problem towing it once loaded... :groner:

If you have ever watched that show it doesn't matter to them.

pmer
10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
As a group we would need to determine a max bid and someone would have to sign up to bid.

Maybe need money down to participate in the buy?

Need people to secure truckng and a foundry etc.

Is the material usable for boolits?

Probally have to get moving on some of these items and there is more to consider too I suppose.

I doubt if it would go for a steal but you never know.. I can dream

Cowboy T
10-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm a few hours away from there. I have a 3/4-ton pickup truck. If it makes financial sense, then I'm in, too.

dragon813gt
10-05-2012, 05:50 PM
It's most likely going to go for a price higher than worthwhile. Large lots like that typically go for a few cents below current scrap prices. Add in the cost of shipping/refining and you're up there in total cost. The base by me consistently has lots of fired brass. They never sell at a good price.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Superfly
10-05-2012, 06:17 PM
It is a logistical nighmare and in the end still a nightmare, I have a semi to haul this stuff and yes it is expensive to haul this. 4.00 plus fuel is just the start. There is to much for a few people to handle in there spare time.

Only way it would work is to hire a company to haul it to a refinery and have it asseyd and hopefully it is a good alloy or guess what you just wasted a **** load of money.

In the end it would be way more benifical to just order DIRECT from a foundy with what ever alloy you want.

I already looked at this and it is still expensive but atleast you know what you are getting .

Jaime

pmer
10-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Here is a link to a auction last December. Might be fun to look at in light of this current auction.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133953&highlight=auction

sw282
10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
80 tons of lead equals 160,000 pounds. 7000 grains times 160k gives me enough for about seven million, five hundred thousand 148gr wadcutters. l wonder how much lube l will need

garym1a2
10-05-2012, 07:37 PM
He is right, stuff does not sell for much less than the scrap metal guys pay. I
It's most likely going to go for a price higher than worthwhile. Large lots like that typically go for a few cents below current scrap prices. Add in the cost of shipping/refining and you're up there in total cost. The base by me consistently has lots of fired brass. They never sell at a good price.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

MBTcustom
10-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Here is a link to a auction last December. Might be fun to look at in light of this current auction.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133953&highlight=auction

Dream crusher.
Your'e probably right.:cry:

David2011
10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
80 tons of lead equals 160,000 pounds. 7000 grains times 160k gives me enough for about seven million, five hundred thousand 148gr wadcutters. l wonder how much lube l will need

And Homeland Security has a contract out for what- last I heard- 1.2 BILLION rounds?

Anonymous

KYCaster
10-05-2012, 08:53 PM
OK, I'm totally up for this! With construction in the sewer, I have plenty of time on my hands and could use a profitable project right now. I have the knowledge and I have the means.

Like Dragon said, It'll probably go for near spot price so figger $1.00/lb. Superfly could haul it for about 30K. I need to cover my travel there and back plus about three months to mutilate it......soooooo.....let's say $250,000 oughta cover it nicely.

Y'all start sending your orders right away, time's running out........money up front of course. I'll deposit the funds in a secure account...8-) and if everything goes according to plan you can come by my shop about late February and pick up your lead at a rate of about $3.00/lb.

Of course if the scheme doesn't work out we'll have to fall back on the contingency plan......you can just hop down to Barbados and we'll cry in our beer......my treat! :drinks:

Jerry

pmer
10-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Dream crusher.
Your'e probably right.:cry:

You're right too, it would be a shame if it goes for cheap and we don't get a taste. We need a group by lead fund ready to go just for ocassions like this.

dabsond
10-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm betting the Chinese buy it. A friend with a trap range had it mined. Ended up with 40 55 gal drums of shot. The Chinese offered him a $1.00 a pound right out of the ground with out cleaning.

Carl

Yea, they need it to mix in the paint of the consumer products they sell back to us!

sw282
10-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Nothing the matter w/lead paint. Lasts 5 times longer than the junk SWP sells now. Besides l never have seen LEAD on a rest menu or cook book recipe. Half the public water pipes are LEAD. l aint dead yet

Hammerlane
10-08-2012, 08:10 AM
I have already paid for this lead ONCE. I should be able to just go pick it up, Right. I am not in the 1% but I do pay da man. EVERY YEAR.

nanuk
10-08-2012, 09:32 AM
sounds like Blamer's idea might have merit

DukeInFlorida
10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
The last few auctions have been going for about $.65 a pound, not including shipping.

If you guys got 80 people to each kick in $1000, you MIGHT have a chance.

However, $1000 each, for 80 people, is a lot of asking around here.

You can bet the BIG processors will be buying this batch. That's pocket change to them.

Bigslug
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
158,500 pounds equals 1,109,500,000 - or one billion, one hundred nine million, five hundred thousand - grains

That's:

7,496,621 148 grain wadcutters. . .

6,163,888 180 grain rifle boolits. . .

4,741,304 230 grain round noses. . .

4,350,980 255 grain Keiths. . .

2,219,000 500 grain Sharps rounds. . .

Of course, you're gonna lose so much of that in dross/oxides/fluxing that it's hardly worth getting out of bed for.:mrgreen:

pmer
10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
The last few auctions have been going for about $.65 a pound, not including shipping.

If you guys got 80 people to each kick in $1000, you MIGHT have a chance.

However, $1000 each, for 80 people, is a lot of asking around here.

You can bet the BIG processors will be buying this batch. That's pocket change to them.

All we need to do is form a non profit, get a tax ID, open a bank account with several signers and a director. Let people wire money into the account. Stop at a max bid amount. If we don't win send the money back. If we win the fun really begins..:-? That should be no problem, ... right?

John Wayne
10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Good to dream it, think it through. If there's the will there is a way. Tough to bite off this much too chew. If someone comes up with a feasible plan and we can get it CHEAP, I'm in for 2 or 3 thousand $ and labor. Bound to be lots of vacant warehouse space close by for inexpensive rent to store it. Just thinking...just saying. I'd like to see what they say about the mutilation.

daniel lawecki
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Whats the high bid? And how far are people willing to go ? Bid wise just asking?

bowfin
10-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm betting the Chinese buy it.

If it were on the West Coast or Hawaii, I am sure they would. However, they would have to haul it an extra 3,000+ miles, and lead is relatively inexpensive so that the cost of shipping might make hauling it across the continent or down through the Panama Canal not such a good deal.

I'll Make Mine
10-09-2012, 07:27 AM
If it were on the West Coast or Hawaii, I am sure they would. However, they would have to haul it an extra 3,000+ miles, and lead is relatively inexpensive so that the cost of shipping might make hauling it across the continent or down through the Panama Canal not such a good deal.

This stuff is in Florida, right? Cheaper to ship it to China via the Indian Ocean direct from a Florida port, than to move it by train to California or ship through the Canal. Distance isn't much difference, and it's on the efficient container ship the whole way.

Sasquatch-1
10-09-2012, 08:21 AM
This stuff is in Florida, right? Cheaper to ship it to China via the Indian Ocean direct from a Florida port, than to move it by train to California or ship through the Canal. Distance isn't much difference, and it's on the efficient container ship the whole way.

Portsmouth, Va. Which I think is right around the Norfolk Ship Yards.

Since it doesn't look like this is going to happen, is someone going to keep an eye on this and let us know what it goes for? At 65 cent a pound it would not be worth it after you add in the extra cost of storage, shipping and smelting. It would be cheaper to buy at a dollar a pound.

wch
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
If there's any serious intent to follow up, I'd be interested in a crate.

Dan Cash
10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
With a foundry(s) close at hand, one or a couple of them will buy and roll the lead back out the door at their own profit. I am sure they also know how to "deal" with the government agents.

LAH
10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Approximately 62 crates would be around 1.28 tons per crate. Although some of the crates look larger than others in the photo given.

With DOD and DLA mutilation means to alter the item so that it cannot be used as originally intended. This could be as little as removing serial numbers, to drilling an additional hole or cutting an item into two pieces. I can't tell for sure in the photo's given, but in one photo (with the plastic wrap) it appears to be large blocks maybe like ballast weights for machinery??? DLA and DRMO usually have an inspector on location to insure adhearence to whatever guidlines.

The only thing that confuses me, is that usually if an item is to be sold off as scrap at a government installation, and the Shop Project Order of an end item says it has restrictions at the DRMO process that the item cannot be used as originally intended when sold as scrap, the installation usually performs whatever is needed to prevent the original intended use. For instance.... if you have a Cummins 6V53T engine block that is out of dimension within the cylender sleeve bores, then before it can be scrapped and sent to DRMO, a large hole that cannot be repaired is cut in the block. This may not be true at all installations, but has been for the ones I have worked at and especially at DEPOT level.

Smitty

Excellent post. Here's what I received for the auction company:

1st question & reply.

Please explain the term:
mutilationby the buyer prior to removal if allowed at the location or mutilation must be witnessed and certified by DOD Surplus personnel at the buyer s facility.

This is the page: http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5722982&convertTo=USD

Reply.
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email. Demil as Condition of Sale is a special group of items within the Demil BQ category. The government is selling these items as such because they do not have the man power to do the demilitarization of the items themselves. However, the government will not release the items until this is completed--therefore the customer is required to do the mutilation on site or within a specific geographic area. Each lot sold as Demil as Condition of Sale should have an attached Surveillance Plan, which details how the government requires the item to be demilitarized—including what machines can and cannot be used, how far the material can be transported for demil, etc. Once the demilitarization is complete, the customer can remove the property just like any other scrap sale—with the site weighing out the property that is removed from the site.

Essentially, mutilation is required because the government is selling the items for the scrap metal—i.e. they are selling irony aluminum, not a jet airplane. An EUC is required by the government so that they may track who possesses these items--as munitions, projectiles, and certain planes or engines should not fall into the hands of someone that could use such items against the US. Submitting the EUC and the Certificate of Destruction is your oath that the lot has been processed as scrap metal and not sold as something like a jet engine.

Failure to follow through with the EUC or Surveillance Plan, can result in DOD Surplus defaulting your sale and requiring payment of a default fee (25% of the bid price) as well as potential account suspension until such fee is paid in full.

We hope this information has been helpful. Thank you and have a great day.

Warmest Regards,

Customer Service Department
Government Liquidation
DOD Surplus, LLC
15051 N. Kierland Blvd, Third Floor
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Ph: 480.367.1300
Fax: 480.367.1450

Email: info@govliquidation.com

Online Help: http://www.govliquidation.com/help/index.html

2nd question & reply.

I do understand Demil when it comes to weapons but I asked the question because
this lot was 158,500 pounds of Lead Without Foreign Attachment. How do you Demil
lead? I have a bullet casting company & I'm interested in the lead so I pose the
question. Thanks again & look forward to your answer.

Lynn & Barbara
Dry Creek Bullet Works

Reply.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your email. Mutilation means the items must be changed or
mutilated so they are not recognizable in their intended form. For example,
items would need to be cut, melted or shredded. The
mutilation process must be done prior to you removing the property and can
either be done on site or taken to another facility. Most sites have the
equipment to mutilate and have a mutilation plan they follow however the actual
site would have that information. To find out, you can submit a question to the
site by clicking on the "Click here to submit your question" link located on
the lot details page.

We hope this information has been helpful. Thank you and have a great day.

Warmest Regards,

Customer Service Department
Government Liquidation
DOD Surplus, LLC
15051 N. Kierland Blvd, Third Floor
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Ph: 480.367.1300
Fax: 480.367.1450
Email: info@govliquidation.com
Online Help: http://www.govliquidation.com/help/index.html

So now we know HOW to contact concerning Mutilation.

Beau Cassidy
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
If I could get it for $150 which I highly doubt I would just take the old ragged F-350 up there with a substantial trailer and load all I could haul then tell them they could resell the rest. I figure all I would want to load is a few thousand lbs. But that is just me...

John Wayne
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
You would think they (the gov't) would look up this specific lot and tell you what needed to be done to accomplish mutilation. Of course they (the gov't) didn't answer the question very well. Who amongst us lives close enough to inspect the lead on the appropiate day. I'm 9 hours away. I'll bet if one of us called the base and asked they would escort you in for a visual anytime.

Rooster
10-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a boolit cookout in the Commonwealth to me. Do they allow camping on base? They did say it could be done on property. Do they have a range? J/k, maybe.

John Wayne
10-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Ha Ha...good questions Rooster.

mjwcaster
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
The bids have gone from 10K to 63K in just a few hours today, with 2 more days left.
So much for cheap gov lead.
Matt

mjwcaster
10-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I had just found this thread last night (early morning) and checked on the auction link, didn't notice that it opened :
10/17/2012 12:00AM Eastern Time.
Auction must have not met reserve or been re-listed for some other reason.
Did anyone keep track of it and know why it was re-listed?
But it is looking like real money for this lead now.
Matt

dnmccoy
10-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Too bad...could have been the ultimate group buy :)

Sasquatch-1
10-18-2012, 06:56 AM
The bids have gone from 10K to 63K in just a few hours today, with 2 more days left.
So much for cheap gov lead.
Matt

That is still less then 40 cents a pound. If that person gets it and has the proper infrastructure to move and dispense it he will still probably double his money.

Baja_Traveler
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Funny - I see this same thread pop up about every year here - with huge responses by all, and it all comes to the same conclusion - logistically it cannot be done by a small operation. These auctions always look promising, then at the last minute a large industrial buyer swoops in, skyrockets the price and hauls it all off to make batteries or something...

bowfin
10-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Funny - I see this same thread pop up about every year here

Why is that funny?

cal50
10-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Its too bad they can not or will not be specific in exactly what is required to demilitarize.
The odds of us little guys getting back something we likely already paid for once with tax dollars is not likely made easy.

mjwcaster
10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Well 2 hours left and it just jumped to 75K.
Don't forget to add in the 10% buyers fee and your at 82.5K over 50 cents per pound, plus transport/mangling.
I'm betting it will get to 80/90 cents a pound at least, with buyers fee.

I seems to me that Sailboat keels are your best bet for cheap lead, if your willing to work for it.

Or maybe that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Matt

bowfin
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
It ended up at $100,250.91, which with the 10% auction fee would be almost 70 cents a pound sitting there...minus the weight of the crates.

I don't mind seeing it go for that price, but something below $0.50 per pound would have been frustrating.

mjwcaster
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
So it just closed, 104,250.91 + 10% buyers fee = $114,676.00 = $0.73 per pound.
But the weight of the crates was included in the total, so probably more like 75-80 cents per pound, plus labor for mauling and transportation.
Makes the lead offers on this board for ~ $1.00 per pound seem like a screaming deal.

Edit-
Just noticed bowfins post, I was watching the auction and it adds 15 minutes to the end time for a last minute bid.
So it really ended at 5:15 EST. I'm guessing this is where the the price diff came in at between bowfins and my post.

Matt