PDA

View Full Version : Going full out: make your own checks

milprileb
10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Gents,

I am shooting 150 and 175 gr 309 sized 3006 loads, 15 gr Unique and Tula primers.
Gas checks made with Free Checks tool (any tool will suffice for the subject here) and I have cut my cost of gas checks 80% across the board. Now, if I shot 100 at a time, maybe $5 per 100 plus postage is money well spent. If that meets your needs, you are well served.

Me: I shoot 500 rds per month. Such ammo cost me 8.5 cents a shot. My loads will hold 1 inch at 100 yds if I do my part, 1.5 if I get lax. The taking out of Hornady gas checks at 3 cents a piece from my costs simply by investing in a tool and making my own gas checks has allowed me to make quality target loads for a mere 8.5 cents a shot.

Now, I did the math. For the tool that I bought to make checks and the roll of flashing (50 yards long x 6 in wide), I get my money returned for tools / material at 5000 gas checks. I am over 2000 gas checks used inside 4 months time, I will be breaking into the green in another 3000 checks used and stay in the green for the rest of my life. The freedom of having all the checks I need when I want them and reducing the costs dynamically is significant.

Now we all know tools pay for themselves and make you money. Making your own gas checks do this handsomely and it supports your shooting hobby / passion. I don't know why any shooter who buys factory gas checks cannot pause long enough to see the value returned when you make your own checks.

I recommend making your own gas checks. Invest in your future and do it. Do the math , you will find the right tool to meet you needs.

30CAL-TEXAN
10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
1+ on that!

As if all of the above was not enough already you also get the added satisfaction of doing it yourself and not being bound by one extra "commercial" source for your shooting needs.

If you buy your tool, you can even throw in supporting a small business within the shooting sports!

milprileb
10-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Yup, got total control over the gas check supply for life. Feels real fine folks

Let us not forget: casting rifle bullets makes shooting enjoyable and affordable. Casting Rocks !!!!

Wally
10-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Gents,

I am shooting 150 and 175 gr 309 sized 3006 loads, 15 gr Unique and Tula primers.
Gas checks made with Free Checks tool (any tool will suffice for the subject here) and I have cut my cost of gas checks 80% across the board. Now, if I shot 100 at a time, maybe $5 per 100 plus postage is money well spent. If that meets your needs, you are well served.

Me: I shoot 500 rds per month. Such ammo cost me 8.5 cents a shot. My loads will hold 1 inch at 100 yds if I do my part, 1.5 if I get lax. The taking out of Hornady gas checks at 3 cents a piece from my costs simply by investing in a tool and making my own gas checks has allowed me to make quality target loads for a mere 8.5 cents a shot.

Now, I did the math. For the tool that I bought to make checks and the roll of flashing (50 yards long x 6 in wide), I get my money returned for tools / material at 5000 gas checks. I am over 2000 gas checks used inside 4 months time, I will be breaking into the green in another 3000 checks used and stay in the green for the rest of my life. The freedom of having all the checks I need when I want them and reducing the costs dynamically is significant.

Now we all know tools pay for themselves and make you money. Making your own gas checks do this handsomely and it supports your shooting hobby / passion. I don't know why any shooter who buys factory gas checks cannot pause long enough to see the value returned when you make your own checks.

I recommend making your own gas checks. Invest in your future and do it. Do the math , you will find the right tool to meet you needs.

OMG you sound like me...I use the same bullets and loads in my .30-06..same primers and make my own GCs... I bought the Ferechex tools a few years ago and found that I use them all the time. I now make GCs for 9 different calibers. I sure used a lot of 358156's and 429215's all because of the cheap GCs.

rbuck351
10-08-2012, 04:52 AM
I bought a mini lathe 3 or 4 years ago and have been making my own GC makers lyman sizing dies and a bunch of other stuff. It's paid for itself many times already and I'm just getting warmed up.