PDA

View Full Version : I think my 10lb Drip-O-Matic is dieing

Sasquatch-1
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I think my 10 lb Drip-O-Matic may be giving up the ghost after 35 years of service. I was doing some casting today when I notice a little lead around the outside of the spout . I tapped it with my mold and was VERY worried I had made a mistake because a bunch of lead started dripping out.

I emptied the pot and let it cool then took it apart. There was a couple ounzes of lead between the bottom plate and the pot. I am wondering whether some just worked its way between the top trim rim or whether the leak was actually from around the spout. It appears the spout is a seperate piece from the actual pot and is attached with some sort of flare fitting as if it were peaned over.

I will try melting some more later this week.

PuppetZ
10-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I recently got a 20lbs lee pot. I got it out of the box and I got very worried when it started emptying itself all over my bench. I ended up with a 20lbs ingot inside an aluminum cake pan..... I took the thing appart and found that the nut securing the spout to the pot was shipped loose and allowed the molten lead to completely bypass the valve. Tightened the thing and since it work flawlessly without even dripping. I dont know if you can do it but I'd make some thread on the spout and secure it with a nut just to be on the safe side.

rtracy2001
10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Lee sels a replacement inner pot. Order one up and go another 35 years.

Sasquatch-1
10-04-2012, 07:14 AM
I recently got a 20lbs lee pot. I got it out of the box and I got very worried when it started emptying itself all over my bench. I ended up with a 20lbs ingot inside an aluminum cake pan..... I took the thing appart and found that the nut securing the spout to the pot was shipped loose and allowed the molten lead to completely bypass the valve. Tightened the thing and since it work flawlessly without even dripping. I dont know if you can do it but I'd make some thread on the spout and secure it with a nut just to be on the safe side.

The spout on this one appears to be peaned over on the inside of the pot. It looks like it may have loosened up enough to let the lead start slowley escaping. Haven't tried it again yet to see if this is the problem. I think I payed $35.00 for the pot when I bought it. A dollar a year isn't bad.

PuppetZ
10-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Maybe you could weld it with bronze. Just a thought. If the rest of the thing works ok, no point in throwing it away if it's serviceable, no?

Sasquatch-1
10-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Maybe you could weld it with bronze. Just a thought. If the rest of the thing works ok, no point in throwing it away if it's serviceable, no?

Don't weld. Lee does sell a new liner for $8.00. Dont know how much shipping is.

R.M.
10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I had the same thing happen, and I'm fairly sure that it was caused by me over-filling the pot. I've been more diligent about keeping the level below the cap, and as far as I know, it's been fine ever since, haven't checked though.

Frozone
10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Don't weld. Lee does sell a new liner for $8.00. Dont know how much shipping is.

Yeah, new liner and after 35 y of service you might want to replace the heating element as well.

Sasquatch-1
10-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I had the same thing happen, and I'm fairly sure that it was caused by me over-filling the pot. I've been more diligent about keeping the level below the cap, and as far as I know, it's been fine ever since, haven't checked though.

I ran a couple of batches through it yesterday. Did not see any evidence that it had leaked again, but then I didn't take it apart either. If worst comes to worst, Lee sells the liner for $8.00 + shipping.

1bluehorse
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Well I don't know how much casting you do, but if I had a Lee 10lber that had lasted 35 years I'd paint that sucker gold and put it on a shelf in a place of honor...:drinks:

madsenshooter
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
If you get a new liner, you'll find the spout is a bit different, doesn't come down as low as the old one, and the new rod isn't the same length as the old one. I can't pressure cast with the new one like I could with the old one. I had a leak in the old one once. Like you're saying, the spout was simply peened in there. I took it to an old mechanic who found the right size ball bearing to put down in it so that it sat above the flare. He had the spout in his vise. He could reach the ball with a long punch, gave it a few taps, the spout never leaked again.

TXGunNut
10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Order the liner AND a new 20# pot to help spread out the shipping cost. You don't want to spend as much on shipping as you do on the part, do you? :mrgreen:

rtracy2001
10-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Order the liner AND a new 20# pot to help spread out the shipping cost. You don't want to spend as much on shipping as you do on the part, do you? :mrgreen:

Last time I ordered parts from Lee, the shipping was $5.00. The 20 lb pot is priced at $91.98 and it is out of stock. Midway USA has the same pot for $64.99 in stock.

I agree with the concept of placing large orders to spread the shipping out, but the pot would not be the best choice.

Gliden07
10-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Lee Pro 4-20 pot $54.60, replacment pot $8.00 and a new Dripomatic $31.48 at FS Reloading

Bill*
10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Solder it?:kidding:

Gliden07
10-11-2012, 03:43 PM
solder it?:kidding:

lol!!!!

Elkins45
10-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I second the suggestion to replace the element at the same time you replace the liner. It's like replacing your water pump when having a timing chain fixed: it just makes sense to do the work while you have the thing taken apart.

Get a new valve rod at the same time.

Sasquatch-1
10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
I second the suggestion to replace the element at the same time you replace the liner. It's like replacing your water pump when having a timing chain fixed: it just makes sense to do the work while you have the thing taken apart.

Get a new valve rod at the same time.

If I do all of that by the time I add shipping I could buy a new pot. It appears that the leak may have infiltrated at the top of the pot. This is the old style that has the seperate ring that goes over the top of the liner instead of the type that is formed on the liner when stamped out.