PDA

View Full Version : 50-70 Sharps rifle

NickSS
05-29-2007, 04:38 PM
I just got back from vacation to the east coast and on the way stopped at Big Timber Montana. On one small block you have two of the countries best sharps rifle manufactures. Shiloh and Montana Armory. The companies are at different ends of the same street and are rivels. I have rifles from both and must give the nod to Shiloh for wood to metal finish (until now). My intentions when stoping was to order a new Shiloh 74 Sharps in 50-70 for hunting. All my other sharps rifles are heavy target models. As for the 50-70 cartridge I love it for its knock down power at short range when using black powder. I walked into the showroom at Montana Armory first and never got to Shiloh as sitting on the wall was an 1874 hunting rifle with a 26 inch round barrel, semi fancy english walnut stock in 50-70. Fit and finish was everything I expect from Shiloh and it was available right now!. Needless to say I walked out the door with it and owing a small fortune on my credit cart. Next step is to shoot it.:-D

Gussy
05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
How about a picture?? I will be heading that way in 2 weeks and hope to make a stop there also.
Gus

kodiak1
05-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Nick sounds like you did well. That is a C. Sharps is it not? Have a 40-90SBN by them and it is a great rifle it is the 1875 design.
Ken.

NickSS
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
I have no means of taking a picture but it is a fine looking rifle. I shot it yesterday with some loads that i made up years ago for another rifle. It was loaded with smokeless and a lee 450 gr slug sized 512" When I did my part I could place three or four shots into about 3 inches at 100 yards. I did determine that my eyes just do not work real well with a silver blade front sight and a buckhorn rear sight. So when I got home I installed a post and ball front globe sight and an Ideal hunting tang sight on it. Now I need to cast some more boolits to load my brass up so I can try it. I will use black next time.

NickSS
06-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Well I loaded black in my rifle this week and fired sixty rounds from it using different load compressions. Best results were with 65 gr FFG GOEX and a 450 gr Lee boolit with a .030 vegitable fiber wad between the powder and bullet. This resulted in three 10 shot groups at 100 yards that went into less than two inches. Actually all I had was one ragged hole in the paper. This is the load I will use hunting but now I need to file in my sights to get them on at 100. Currently the lowest sight setting of the barrel sight results in the group being seven inches high.

SharpsShooter
06-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Nick,

That is good shooting with 30 rounds into less than 2". The Badger barrels that C Sharps are really top drawer. Sheesh, now I got the 50 cal bug..................

SS