PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Weed Burner, 19.95

Tomuchiron
10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Had to stop at harbor freight and spotted the weed burners, 19.95. Been meaning to get one anyhow. Worked alot better than I Imagined. Shouldn't have put it off so long. Really shortens melt time. You don't need the more expensive electronic start.
Fires off of the pot flame just fine.
Mike

Nazgul
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Have been using one for several years. Melts the smelter full-about 100 lbs, in no time.

Don

John Boy
10-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Easily attaches to standard 20 lb. propane (LP) tank (not included)
Heats-up to over 3000° F

Steel melts at about 1300 °C (2400 °F).

remy3424
10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't use mine for melt lead, but for singeing deer after skinning them. I got tired of picking hair off the meat when boning them out.

BruceB
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I've used an HF weedburner for some years, for melting wheelweights and other forms of 'raw' alloy.

After cutting a 6"-diameter hole in the top of my dedicated smelting table, I cut an 8" square of 1/8" steel plate,, and then cut a 1/2"slot from one side to the center of the plate.

The tube of the burner comes up through the table and then through the plate, which is covering the hole in the table. This holds the burner head upright under the pot and applies the heat directly to the pot's bottom. The pot is elevated a few inches above the tabletop (on bricks, blocks or whatever).

This is extremely efficient, and VERY fast-acting.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Besides melting lead, I use mine to light the charcoal grill. One tank will light the grill 100+ times with no odor and in a jiffy.

quasi
10-10-2012, 12:04 AM
weed burner, I think we call them Tiger Torches around here.

ncbearman
10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I've used an HF weedburner for some years, for melting wheelweights and other forms of 'raw' alloy.

After cutting a 6"-diameter hole in the top of my dedicated smelting table, I cut an 8" square of 1/8" steel plate,, and then cut a 1/2"slot from one side to the center of the plate.

The tube of the burner comes up through the table and then through the plate, which is covering the hole in the table. This holds the burner head upright under the pot and applies the heat directly to the pot's bottom. The pot is elevated a few inches above the tabletop (on bricks, blocks or whatever).

This is extremely efficient, and VERY fast-acting.

Got a pic of that set up? I know I would like to see that.

softpoint
10-13-2012, 08:11 PM
They are called Pear Burners here. Used to burn the thorns off prickly pear cactus so the livestock can eat it. Works real good as a "Smelter Helper" too. and for the BBQ grill! I haven't used it to singe the hair off deer carcases yet, but it sounds like a good idea. I don't think anyone can get more hair on a deer skinning it than me,lol. :p I just rig mine up with a separate propane tank and direct the heat at the smelter pot that is already on another burner to assist the melt time.

Mooseman
10-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Here is my setup...It works great for any cast iron pot !
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=162412