PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measure Recommendation

Jeff82
10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm in the hunt for a new powder measure (replacing my Lee ). I'm hoping to get +/- 0.2 grains accuracy for my 0.357 loads. Top candidates are:

1- Reading.
2- Hornady LNL
3- RCBS

They'd need to be equipped with a handgun drum to through and measure smaller charges of about 5 to 6 grains..

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. This is for use with a single-stage operation.

Thanks for your thoughts,

--Jeff

novalty
10-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices. Just have to decide which one is the most appealing to you. I have been very happy with my RCBS Uniflow, and my brother-in-law really likes his Hornady LnL. Never heard anyone complain about a Redding--other than price.

Moonie
10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm in the hunt for a new powder measure (replacing my Lee ). I'm hoping to get +/- 0.2 grains accuracy for my 0.357 loads. Top candidates are:

1- Reading.
2- Hornady LNL
3- RCBS

They'd need to be equipped with a handgun drum to through and measure smaller charges of about 5 to 6 grains..

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. This is for use with a single-stage operation.

Thanks for your thoughts,

--Jeff

What powder? Some measures are better with particular powders.

Jeff82
10-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty big on Universal Powder.

Moondawg
10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Any of those measures will give you the accuracy you are looking for or beat it with typical pistol powders. Actually it is not the brand of measure that determines accuracy as much as the operators consistency of techinque in using the measure.. No measure will give super acccuracy with long stick powders.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-03-2012, 09:37 PM
As is always the case whoever makes a powder measure thinks that the one that they produce is the best that is or is the best that was ever made. Lyman, RCBS,Lee Hornady, Dillon and Redding all make excellent measures and they all work well. To be fair different measures work better with some powders than with others. Other factors come into the equation such as humidity, static electricity. whether or not you use a baffle, a knocker to settle the powder or how big or small the charge is that you are throwing. Some measures are more expensive than others; the Reddings go for major bucks, but that doesn't guarantee anything in itself. The Lyman 55 has an external knocker (good) and a drum that is adjustable with slides that can be varied in the depth or width (also good). It also has an outmoded thread that fits its old and no longer produced Tru-Line Jr. press so you have to buy an adapter that is 7/8x14 to fit anything modern. (dumb) Regardless of which one you decide on you must have a reliable, accurate and dependable scale to check what the measure is actually doing...regularly and often. And a set of weights to check on/keep your scale honest. The dispensing of powder is a most important step...and the one that will play a key role in your accuracy & safety so whatever you have to lay out in cost is well worth it. I don't subscribe to or use a fixed powder measure with changeable cavities of different sizes, but some people do and like them. I once tried the Lee system of discs with different size cavities and stacking them...it did not work out for me and I got tired of tapping the stacks with a pencil to get the charges right, but again some folks like them. So I wound up with 2 RCBS-Ohaus "Duo-Measures"...old, but good if you can find one and 3 RCBS's that are already 10 years old, but give good and dependable service. Regardless of what you decide on and use, do not leave any powder in the measure's reservoir; empty it after use...every time. LLS

barrybrice
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I love my Hornady LNL. I have it set at 4.5g for my 9mm. I reload once or twice a week and it always measures 4.5g faithfully.

rda72927
10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I have the RCBS and the Lyman#55. If forced to only keep one, I believe the Lyman is the better of the two. For me, it has showned to be VERY accurate for small loads to large.

1874Sharps
10-03-2012, 10:58 PM
+1 on the above comments on the Lyman 55. It is of classic design and has been made in nearly the same form for decades. It is versatile and can be adjusted for light pistol loads up to magnum rifle loads with just the turn of a few screws. That is not to say that other makes and models are not fine also, but the Lyman 55 has nice features, holds a steady charge and is a bit less expensive than many of the others.

John Boy
10-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Grain Weight Statistics Between 4 Different Powder Measures (http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037)

Horace
10-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I`ve used one RCBS powder measure since 1981.A few years ago I picked up used Redding measure, the RCBS will never be used again.

Horace

Oreo
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
The hornady is great but if you also plan to load rifle ammo with case capacity less then 30-06 I recommend buying Hornady's "bench rest" powder measure, and then buy the pistol rotor separately.

The pistol rotor will meet your charge accuracy requirement and then some but the regular rifle rotor is a bit too large for the small-medium rifle stuff, and definitely for pistol. It will do fine for plinking / hunting ammo but the "bench rest" rotor is better sized for that application. The catch is that the only way to get the bench rest rotor is to buy the whole powder measure. The other two rotors are available as accessory items, which is fine for you since you're looking to buy the whole powder measure.

tonyjones
10-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Unless you're willing to get a Neil Jones Custom Products or a Harrells, get the Redding.

TJ

A pause for the COZ
10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
For flake and Ball powder I use RCBS Uniflow.
For extruded powders like H4895 ect. I use the LEE PPM
Actually when you learn the code. The LEE PPM is more accurate than all the others.
But you need to know the secret hand shake.

Saint
10-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I started with a Lee PPM and used it for years without a problem aside from the fact that it just felt cheap. I upgraded to the RCBS Uniflow and I regret getting rid of the Lee PPM because up until that day I had never experienced cutting. I had to stop using extruded powder entirely as a result. Point being if you have the PPM now keep it for extruded powders. When it comes to ball powders the RCBS is great. It tends to cut flake powders a bit as well but not to the extend of extruded so it is still tolerable.

Greg B.
10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I have a Redding which I have used for years. Can be set up for handgun or rifle. While it is nicely made it can get rough with the stick powders. Sometimes you are cutting individual granuels which requires additional force and throws off the consistency of operation. Since I don't load a high volume of rifle ammunition I set up the measure to get me into the ball park and weigh each load on a ballance beam to get it precisely where want it. I have never had to do this with pistol powder once it is set up.

Greg B.

DCM
10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Grain Weight Statistics Between 4 Different Powder Measures (http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037)

Reading that scared the POOP out of me! :shock:
They are using black powder in a Lee measure I am sure is intended for smokeless! :shock::shock::shock::holysheep

UBER7MM
10-06-2012, 11:50 PM
....Since I don't load a high volume of rifle ammunition I set up the measure to get me into the ball park and weigh each load on a ballance beam to get it precisely where I want it....

I'll second that.

jmort
10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
I would recommend you get or make some powder dippers. If you are looking for .2 grain accuracy that will not be a problem. You can get the Lee Precision set or use old or new brass and twist or solder a wire handle. You can cut or grind them down to a custom load. Some people fill the bottom to get the custom volume. No moving parts and the safest way to load. My favorite part is that once you have your dipping technique down, you can put away the scale until you buy some new powder. Always check new powder to make sure it is what it says it is and see what your dipper is throwing. I hate using scales more than a couple few times a year.

mdi
10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I didn't read every post, but how does the weighing of black powder equate to smokeless powders of widly varing shapes (not a smart a$$ question, really just curious). I have three powder measures (one micro-adjustable and two fixed) and ball, flake, and "tiny logs" all meter differently.

Shiloh
10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Does it make a difference after you get it dialed in??
I adjust for a specific weight, and after things settle in it is exact ot pretty darn close.

Ball powders weigh spot on every time. Other types will vary a bit. Stick powders come close and then tricked to exact weight.
I am a mid range load type guy and were not talking maximum or hot loads.

This is with smokeless and not BP.

Shiloh

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Once you learn the "code" of any particular measure they are remarkably accurate with finer powders
and not so with long extruded types; Belding & Mulls (types) seem to be about the best for the later.

joec
12-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I didn't read every post, but how does the weighing of black powder equate to smokeless powders of widly varing shapes (not a smart a$$ question, really just curious). I have three powder measures (one micro-adjustable and two fixed) and ball, flake, and "tiny logs" all meter differently.

You don't need to weigh black powder at all since it is always compressed either using wads, fillers or a bullet. Black powder is usually measured by volume not weight at least by most. I load 45 Colt, 45-70 and 12 ga shot shells with black powder often as well as smokeless. Different things really.

r1kk1
12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
I weigh. Swiss does not like compression where Elephant did. Depends on the powder and the firearm used and likes. I'm referring to metallic reloading here. For shotshell, I still drop through drop tub and use wad pressure for compression. I don't do pyrodex.

Take care

r1kk1

drklynoon
12-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I use a Lyman 55 and have had mixed results. Some of my issues have been due to the drop tube. Trail boss sticks in the drop tube. I have also had this happen with H-110. The measure has days were it throws perfect and then others were it just won't settle down. I use a lot of Unique and Tight Group. The barrel in mine is just loose enough to allow some powder to get between the drum and the casing. Another thing to look out for is the adjusters can float around a bit. It just takes some time to work through. My dad uses a Uniflow and it hates flake powder but works well with others. I have been considering another measure myself and am interested in knowing how it works out for you.

1hole
12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Redding's measures only appear more expensive because they provide an excellant 'micrometer' thimble for adjustment that the others charge a lot extra for.

Lee's little PPM is quite a deal for a bargain tool.