PDA

View Full Version : Foundry Type

rexherring
10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Just scored 30 pounds of it for $34 shipped. I think it's 15% tin and 28% antimony. Any good recipes for mixing with soft lead?

DukeInFlorida
10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Nice price.

There are some "alloy calculators" around, which allow you to input the raw materials, and the calculator will advise how much of what to add to get where you want to go.

A lot depends on what you need/expect for the end result.

badbob454
10-04-2012, 01:30 AM
off the top of my head i would mix 1lb foundry to 6 lbs of lead should suffice in most med to magnum loads would be near coww'd my guess and its only a guess

runfiverun
10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
6 parts lead to 1 of that would be close to 2% tin and 4% antimony.
depending on what you want the alloy for [that would be a good casting one]
if for just stuff i'd cut the 2/4 alloy again with about 25% more soft ,getting you close to 1.5/3 alloy with a bhn around 10 or so.

rexherring
10-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Most of my shooting is with a BHN of about 10. .38's and .45 ACP mostly. Because I have a lot of pure soft lead I was looking for some lino and found the foundry type instead. I figure it'll take a little more heat to get it melted into the mix but lots of tin and antimony will help a lot with mixing with soft.

runfiverun
10-04-2012, 11:09 PM
it'll probably act up with some grey bubbling and some lumpyness when initially melting.
that's just the antimony.
put the heat up to about 775 and give it a good fire/carbon fluxing.
as soon as it gets up in temp reduce the heat and let the alloy temp come back down while doing the fluxing.
it'll settle down as the temp comes down.

rexherring
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Just smelted some of the stuff I received. It is a mix of Mono, Lino, and Foundry all together. It definitely takes some fluxing to get the antimony back in but it did o.k. with lots of sawdust and stirring. Spilled some on the concrete floor and it's hard stuff, it broke instead of bend. It will work great for mixing with all the pure lead I have. Should last quite awhile as I don't cast most of mine very hard.