PDA

View Full Version : Need a low recoil load for 500 S&W Lee 440

happy7
05-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I need a load for my 500 S&W. My 75 year old uncle wants to shoot it but at this point in his life recoil is not his thing. I could figure out something, but figured some of you have almost certainly played with this and if you have a good recommendation, I would rather use that than guess. Looking to downgrade to 44 spl type recoil. Probably will use the Lee 440 grain boolit.

leftiye
05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Don't take this wrong, but have you ever seen a little freight train (no models allowed)? Not trying to be mean, but your question sorta made me laugh. Low recoil? You'll have to slow it way down or you don't have a chance. People laughed at me when I wanted a 1300 fps load for my .454 too (and I didn't even mention low recoil). They said if you've got a butt kicking gun it's just gonna kick but. Big problem you really are facing is all of that lead! Light and slow= low recoil.

duke76
05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I use 30 grains of 5744 with the Lee 440 grain and is around 1000 FPS or that is what my manual says it is very easy to shoot I can easily shoot them 1 handed. But Im sure you could even lower the powder some more.

dubber123
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
With the weight of the 500 pistols, you should be able to get a plinker load. My brother fiddled with Trailboss powder, which works great in large capacity cases. Accuracy didn't equal the full power loads, but was adequate for general plinking/fooling around. The formula for Trailboss in straight wall cases is: Fill a case to where the base of a bullet will be, and weigh the charge, 70% of this weight is your start charge. Just never compress Trailboss, they say it changes the burn rate dramatically. It's a very clean, easy to ignite powder.

Scrounger
05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Please don't take this as a personal criticizm but I have never come to close to understanding the reasoning for taking a honking big caliber like .44 mag or .500 S&W or any one of a dozen others and loading it down like a .38 wadcutter to shoot. It's like getting a tractor and 53 foot trailer to cruise around the neighborhood or go to the 7-11 in it. When you don't want/need all that power, why not just plink with a .22 or 9mm or something like that. I know you can do what you want, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning...

Scrounger
05-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Good point, leftiye. This is a place where a bullet of something other than lead might make sense. Maybe glue sticks? Or wood? Open field here.

dubber123
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Scrounger, the biggest reason I can think of is that alot of people can't or don't want to handle the recoil of full power loads for an extended period. Hot stuff may be fun for a cylinder or two, but thats it for alot of people. I have shot my brothers 500 quite a bit, and with 460 grainers at 1,400+, 20 shots or so is enough. I can shoot more, but it's not so much fun. My .475 kicks even harder, and the same applies. They may just really like the gun, and want to be able to enjoy it for extended shooting sessions. I shoot mostly full power stuff, but driving to the range and quitting after 20 or 30 rounds kinda stinks.

twoworms
05-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Try 10 grains of Unique, its about as low recoil as I have used. I now use 11.3grains of unique with my 440lee cast and get around 800 fps in my 4" S&W.
You could also look into some trail boss load date.

But 11.3 is not a real light load.

Good luck,

Tim

Hackleback
05-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Try Pyrodex or 777. It is a hoot and will have the entire range staning around you wanting to know what you are shooting. Recoil is not bad either. Ask twoworms!!

happy7
05-30-2007, 12:03 AM
leftiye and scrounger, I agree with you. The whole point of a 500 S&W is the power. But still there are those who want to just shoot the gun but not have all the recoil, and those include some of my family members. But I am in Dubber's camp. Although I love the power of the gun, after I touch off about 20 full house rounds I have had enough recoil out of that gun, and want to just plink. Thanks for the unique suggestion. I think I will try that for the upcoming shooting with my uncle. I like the idea of experimenting with trailboss as well. And the pyrodex sounds like it would be really fun. I will have to give that a try. Do you just fill the case and tamp a bullet down on it?

Scrounger
05-30-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't like recoil myself, .45 ACP is about my comfort level. I have a .44 Mag but I don't shoot it, it's just there if I ever decide to shoot it. And it will be with full power loads, no point otherwise. I have several guns to choose from to get the recoil level I want. I guess the problem is I can't conceive of a need for a gun that big, it is so far above what I could handle that I just can't see it. Obviously a lot of others feel the need to buy it.

flinchnjerk
05-30-2007, 01:30 AM
From Hodgdon's 2007 Annual Manual:
500 S&W 440 gr. cast
Starting load 7.0 Trail Boss Predicted vel. 643 fps Pressure 14600 psi
Max load 10.0 Trail Boss predicted vel. 799 fps Pressure 21200.
There's nothing else listed anywhere close to that low. The next lowest is a starting load of 14.5 of Titegroup. Predicted vel. 1191 fps Pressure 42700 psi. Trail Boss would be the only powder that I'd try for a reduced load, because of its bulkiness. A reduced charge of anything else would be lost in that monster case.

leftiye
05-30-2007, 06:00 AM
Scrounger, I've been afraid to say that on this forum! Yes, there are pistol ctgs that I think are a little nutso too. Not only are they insanely uncomfortable to shoot, they probably suffer from design flaws ballistically.

After about .44 cal (yes even the .45s) the large bore diameter causes energy loss at such a rate that long range shooting starts to be a joke. Couple that with the large meplat thang, and it gets really bad! Then add the loss of accuracy with those large meplats at long range, and you start to wonder what's the use. The 10mm automag hits harder at 200 yds. than a 45 acp does at the muzzle (as an example only, the 45 auto isn't really what I'm talking about here). The point being that a 500 S&W (not hammering your peestola Happy7) and the larger linebaughs, etc. won't hit as hard as a 44 mag at 500 yds. Yes, Elmer killed deer at 500 yds with his 44 mag., but even that has to be wondered about. And yes Elmer liked his SWCs, but how much faster would a semi pointed soft nose or hollow point be going at that range?

Back before all of these new cannon rounds became popular, I got interested in hunting pistols. In my way of looking at it, I could hit deer sized things at way over 200 yds. Heck, I almost hit jackrabbits at 200 yds. Put a scope on it, and utilize a rest, and that range might well be doubled. (a scoped revolter shoots as accurately as many deer rifles) About there I realized that it might not be humane to shoot an animal with any of the pistols available at those ranges. 357s can't really be relied on to knock deer down inside 100 yds. Friends of mine have shot deer with them and the deer went down, and then got up and ran off.

So, you drift in the direction of bullets with some ballistic coefficient that expand. BC increases at any given weight with two things - smaller diameter, and aerodynamic shape. After that, you still have to have enough retained velocity at the distance the bullet intersects the game for expansion to take place. If you don't, you shouldn't shoot that animal. Linebaugh characterizes pistols as "long range punch presses" and he's right. That's his rationale for big bore revolters- bigger holes. As with the kieth example, a 44mag swc will kill deer at 500 yds, you've just got to wonder though if it really is enough to poke a hole in an animal if you want to to kill it humanely.

Scrounger
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Now this could be the start of another controversy here so I want to bail out now. There are uses for those huge calibers, if you're man enough to use them, and I think 99.99% of us aren't. I know my limits and they are shrinking.

dubber123
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
We'll see if anyone else weighs in, but let's just say as someone who has both, the 44. mag definately does not hit harder at longer ranges than a .475. I have NOT shot anything at 500 yds., but I can certainly HEAR the difference of a 440 gr. bullet hitting a plate at 300 yds., compared to a 300 gr. bullet. Doesn't really matter, because I won't personally shoot at anything live beyond 100 yds. max with any handgun, except a coyote. My 2 cents.

twoworms
05-30-2007, 11:46 PM
I ran some numbers on my shooting program, it looks to me like the 500S&W has more at 500yds than a 44Mag. I used at 44mag at 1500fps thats pushing it a bit, and the 440 500S&W at 1650fps thats real data for the 500 S&W. 310gr BC .218 Lee data, 440gr BC .296 Lee data. 500 yards 500S&W=935ft# 44Mag=500ft#. If the BC on each boolit was the same the 500S&W would have more due to more grains to start with. I don't know if you can push a 310 to 1500fps, that may change things a little, but if it could make 1650 it still lacks the punch at 500yards.

Tim

45r
05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
tite group is a good low recoil powder and burns very clean,I get one and a half inch groups at 50 yards with my 454 casull shooting gas check boolits.

leftiye
05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Two worms, You'll notice that I didn't restrict myself to cast boolits. And actually I'm thinking more of a .445 Supermag, though I know I said .44 (1600 fps with a 300 gr b(oo/u)llitt). In the same weight b(oo/u)llitt, the .44 slug will always have a much better B.C. than a .50 cal. of the same design. Also, the real question isn't energy, it's velocity. If the .44 can't expand due to low velocity, then the larger calibers have some advantage (though the .44 does qualify as large bore too though).

Other than a little advantage for the larger meplat, all hard cast bullets just punch holes. So at close range all of these kill the heck out of whatever is behind the animal, and only expend whatever energy in the animal that it takes to penetrate. That's why for personal protection I prefer a .45 Colt or ACP to a 44 mag. They do almost as much damage, and don't kill five bystanders down the street.

There is also the advantage of trajectory, with the projectile moving the fastest, and slowing down the slower shooting flatter. This whole subject simply revisits the transition from large bore rifles to smaller diameter projectiles, and one can study the killing power of the old early metallic cartridge guns and apply it to revolvers directly by just ignoring the handgun as the launching platform. After all, a 300 grain load in a 454 is almost identical to early loads in the 45-70.

Hackleback
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
With the pyrodex loads, you need to fill the case just so you are getting slight compression. Ask two worms he had loaded these before. It was his gun that I shot with these loads.

45r
05-31-2007, 09:04 PM
the 454 casull has the same power as a 45-70 in most loadings and that is what makes it a great cast boolit gun. a 300 grain boolit impacting a game animal at 1400 fps is very good at taking almost anything thing out there and has done so all over the world for over 100 years.impact velocity over 1400 fps isn't needed and the 45 colt does very well also.the main reason I like the 454 casull is 1400 fps loads don't strain the gun at all and the brass last forever in my model 83.

happy7
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
I shot some loads today with nine grains of Trailboss with the Lee 440. I did not shoot for accuracy although we hit what we were aiming at plinking at cans, but they were very comfortable to shoot both for my uncle and my 12 year old. It is the first time he has fired the pistol as well. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

dmftoy1
06-02-2007, 06:41 AM
I use the trailboss and the titegroup for my lighter loads. I'd say the trailboss is the more mellow of the two and I feel more comfortable loading it because it would be an obvious double charge whereas I think I could get myself in trouble with the titegroup. That being said, the titegroup has been very accurate out of my 4 inch Model 500.

For the people who ask why you'd want to shoot low power loads out of the model 500, the best way I can explain it would be to have you come out and shoot at some of the IPSC swinging silhoutte's I've got setup for "high velocity" loads. You hit them with a .223 and they swing . .you hit them with a .45 automatic and they swing . . . . you hit them with the .50 (even low velocity) and they do the loop-the-loop. I don't know how many times I've done it and it still doesn't get old. I'm sitting here smiling like a school boy just thinking of it. :) (same with the .45-70 and heavy boolits moving slow)

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

twoworms
06-03-2007, 12:04 AM
T777 is a blast to shoot. Hackleback and I fired a few rounds at the range one day and about everyone there stopped by to see what all the smoke was about...

Tim

rugerman1
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Lyman makes a nice looking 375gr SWC plain based boolit for the 500 S&W.Combined with Trail Boss,makes a nice plinker.
http://www.atruscorp.com/images/upload_4421db6639bc9.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/sawrm1/Lyman501680002.jpg

Hackleback
06-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Light loads: Just because you own a Ferrari dosent mean you have to drive 200 mph all the time.

PPpastordon
06-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Just a little more on "light" loads.
Everyone knows a 7 1/2" barreled .44 Magnum can drive a 240 grain bullet to well over 1200 fps. However, time and time I read of people finding the old 240 to 250 grain bullet does a beautiful job at hunting deer and black bear - and sometimes larger game.
The 240 grain pushed to 1,000 fps velocity in the .44 special was, and is, a good hunting load.
I know a .45 bullet is a larger diameter, but in talks with John Linebaugh he has praised the 250 grain .45 Colt at 900 fps. Many other have also praised this load.
A 300 grain .45 Colt load at 750 fps is, to me, a many times proven deer load. It is also very easy shooting.
At 900 fps in my .44 Magnum, the RCBS 250-K is an easy shooting load for me, my wife, my children and most of my grandchildren. Yet, I have always known I can get more punch from my .44 Magnum if I so desire.
In short, I like a load that we can all enjoy! Why should I (or anyone else) be limited to a caliber that is more - uh - limited?

JohnSmiles
06-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Interesting thread, especially as I just bought a Handi in 500.
But I have to chime in here and state that claiming a 44 mag has more ANYTHING at 500 yards than a 475 or a 500 is simply wrong.
The best you could do is state that CERTAIN 44 mags can outperform CERTAIN larger caliber rounds, which is true for almost any rounds anyway.
Full house .17's can outdo 44 mag squib loads, in that scenario.
But there is no magic in the 44 that gives it extra anything at 500 yards over the bigger and badder rounds.

leftiye
06-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Well John, Welcome aboard. I was expecting something like that much earlier. How about "can you hit anything with your gun what with all of that recoil?" More isn't always better. Why do you think they waited over a hundred years after smokeless powder was developed to make those monsters? Maybe because it took that long for common sense to fail?

The only factual response so far forgot the essential detail of Ballistic coefficient and set it as equal in both calibers. It is exactly because the 44 caliber has much better ballistic coefficients that I am saying what I'm saying. It may not hit quite as hard as a .50 at 500 yards, but it hits surprisingly close to as hard. And ft/lbs of KE isn't everything. Couple that with possibly being a little more manageable, flatshooting,and therefore maybe more accurate, and I'll chose the .445, thank you. That's unless you want to try to rule out bullet placement as being important. (?)

I'm not trying to say that the .44 out guns all of the larger calibers. All I'm saying is that in an all around consideration involving retained energy, and velocity; coupled with shootability etc., the best choice may not always be the biggest and baddest for an all around hunting handgun. That's why I chose to focus on long range, because that's specifically the weak spot for hunting handguns (except those using rifle cartridges, and those are smaller bore still). Just as most of the threads for many .45 cal rifles here with cast are overwhelmingly not full house loads, there's a reason for that. They don't want the bruises, hurt knuckles and wrists, and etc.

Now at 10 yards with a charging ewe sheep, (or a grizzly) there's no doubt the 50 is a better knockdown cartridge, especially IF you can hit anything with it.

PPpastordon
06-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Interesting thread, especially as I just bought a Handi in 500.
But I have to chime in here and state that claiming a 44 mag has more ANYTHING at 500 yards than a 475 or a 500 is simply wrong.

John;
First of all, "Hi, neighbor!"
Second, Don't know if your statements are directed at my lines. However, I agree with what you say. I am just saying that a .44 Mag, or a .500 for that matter, does not have to be fired at full maximum power loads to be a revolver that is useful. Even a .500 S&W can have versatility - just as my old .50-70-750 Contender was versatile with loads from 320 cast to 750 FMJ's; both as accurate as I can shoot and with the 320's even as low in velocity as the 750's.
BTW; my friend told me he saw a post somewhere that called the .500 in a rifle something like "A modern cartridge as versatile as the old .50-70."
We should get together sometime. I am just south of you in Crawfordsville.

PPpastordon
06-04-2007, 05:56 AM
JohnSmiles;
Tried to e-mail, but it was instantly returned.

twoworms
06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Rugarman,

The 375gr SWC looks like a great boolit, I'll have to get a mold someday for my little gun that I plink with. :) Got to love em the big hunk of lead.

Tim

dubber123
06-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Not to stir the pot any more, but I'm pretty sure the ballistic coefficient is higher in a 440+ grain 50 than a 300 gr. 44. Higher BC + Higher initial velocity should equal flatter trajectory and retained energy would it not?

leftiye
06-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Dubber, you might be right, why don't you look it up. If you read all of the posts you would see that I'm thinking of maybe a 300 gr Horny XTP @ up to 1750 fps in the .445 Supermag (higher initial velocity?), and there are better BC's than that in .44 bullets. I know that the original post said .44 mag, and I'm not sure why I said that, but the point was to illustrate the advantage of higher ballistic coefficient and smaller bore over bigger bore WFNs. Whatever else gets said here, those don't range worth a d@**.

dubber123
06-05-2007, 04:37 AM
I was going by twoworms response # 16 in here, which lists a Lee 310 gr at BC .218, and the Lee 440 at .296. I don't know what a 300 XTP BC's at, due to the pointier nose, or if the extra weight and length of the Lee makes up for it in the BC dept. Just going by the two #'s given, trajectory ought to be about the same, but theres an extra 140 gr.+ payload with one of them. I've never shot past 300 yds. with a WFN, and can see your point on the long range characteristics being crappy with that design, but they make pointy bullets for the big boys too. I'm not beating the drum for the .500, the only one I have experience with, (pretty extensive), I can say is total junk and I won't own one.

JohnSmiles
07-04-2007, 08:55 PM
First and foremost, for any statements to hold ANY merit, the bullets would have to be of similar bc to establish anything.
Comparing a 44 with a better bc to a 500 with a flat nose is meaningless.
Apples and oranges.
The original statement was incorrect, and that is why I commented on it.
A .454, or .445 has some very good ballistics for handguns, but the 44 is so outclassed it isn't funny.
You can only shove so much powder in a .44 casing.
No rocket scientist here, but I do know my 'goes-inta's'.
[smilie=1:
And Hornady now has a rather impressive offering in the .500.

10" test barrel
Muzzle - 2075/2868
50 - 1885/2366
100 - 1706/1939
:Fire:

No idea why my email would turn up invalid.
johnsmiles1961@insightbb.com

My webpage is http://www.johncthiel.com
Be warned, my views are not for the faint of heart, and they are expressed their.
:bigsmyl2:

leftiye
07-04-2007, 11:36 PM
John, When you get a boolit with a B.C. like the .44 cal. 350 grain hand swaged spire point with the whole ogive being exposed lead (reads WILL expand) that I make, then we'll talk.

I totally reject your contention that B.C.'s must be matched to make comparison. Actually, a comparison of ctg statistics was not what I intended. The original post clearly mentioned WFNs out of the larger bores as compared to such as the above spire point. No one cares how many mack trucks worth of energy you have if it all goes away so fast that you think it was a mirage. This of course happens just prior to losing all stability and accuracy. What you can't hit doesn't care much what you shot AT it! The post was only typed to make the comparison with the 50 gallon drum shaped hard cast boolits fired ahead of 50,000 psi. loads as an absurd creation in the least.

JohnSmiles
07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
John, When you get a boolit with a B.C. like the .44 cal. 350 grain hand swaged spire point with the whole ogive being exposed lead (reads WILL expand) that I make, then we'll talk.

I totally reject your contention that B.C.'s must be matched to make comparison. Actually, a comparison of ctg statistics was not what I intended. The original post clearly mentioned WFNs out of the larger bores as compared to such as the above spire point. No one cares how many mack trucks worth of energy you have if it all goes away so fast that you think it was a mirage. This of course happens just prior to losing all stability and accuracy. What you can't hit doesn't care much what you shot AT it! The post was only typed to make the comparison with the 50 gallon drum shaped hard cast boolits fired ahead of 50,000 psi. loads as an absurd creation in the least.

Dude, you just admitted in a previous post you did not really mean 44 magnum.

And actually I'm thinking more of a .445 Supermag, though I know I said .44

Now here you are, defending it again, 'rejecting' my contention, and basically telling me that I don't have a clue compared to your wealth of knowledge, and to come back if and when I attain your omnipotent level of ballistic knowledge. . .
:coffee:

I am not a newbie to reloading, and I do have a fair working knowledge of the ballistics involved in shooting.
Your original statement about 44's was off base and you know it.
Now you are throwing in handmade spire points in .44, yet if you go with a 475-500 gr of similar spire point design in .500, your comparison will still put the .44 to shame.
Apples and oranges.
Your original statement:

The point being that a 500 S&W (not hammering your peestola Happy7) and the larger linebaughs, etc. won't hit as hard as a 44 mag at 500 yds.

And THAT is incorrect, period.
A certain HOT .44 mag load with a better bc may hit harder than a certain less-than-fullhouse .500 load wadcutter at 500 yards, and that is as close as it ever gets.
As my FIRST reply to you clearly stated.
All the other smokescreens you have thrown in since haven't changed that.

The original post asked for some advice on lighter loads to plink with.
A couple of you acted like it was the stupidest question you had ever heard, for some unknown reason.
It wasn't.
Almost everyone who owns the stiffer toys sooner or later develops some lighter loads to simply plink with.

There is no reason to respond in such a condescending manner, to me or to anyone else here.
It is clear you see shooting anything above .45 as the root of all that is evil and reserved only for morons and those who missed the previous 100 years of gun wisdom.
Whatever.
I have one of the big toys, and I have no intention of shooting several hundred full house loads a year just because it CAN.
My dodge ram will run 117mph before the limiter kicks in, but it has only seen that speed once.
It can run that fast, but there is no current need to do so everytime I fire it up.
This isn't an abortion site, its a SHARED KNOWLEDGE forum, where people are encouraged to ask questions and post answers.
And give some advice, not just project a 'far superior than thou' attitude.
I don't post here much, but I do read a great deal of the articles, and that seems to be the accepted standard here.
As it should be.
A .44 and a .500 are worlds apart, always will be, and its ok.
So drop it, have a beer and chill out.
:drinks:

leftiye
07-06-2007, 10:59 AM
John, I had no intention of being "condescending." I'm sorry if you took my post that way. Still, if YOU want to shoot with one hand somthinng that develops the ME of a 30-06 and fires a 500 grain or heavier bu/oolit- well have at it! Enjoy. Knock yourself out.

.44 mag? Where? Ya know the .445 is .44 caliber too?

There may even be someone out there who could shoot such a thang and also hit something. I'm not even going to try. And yes, as I said earlier, I do load my .454 down to .44mag levels, and no I don't disparage loading down thangs that kick so hard that they HURT, duh.

Abortion site? So who's loosing their cool here? I'm done.

JohnSmiles
07-07-2007, 10:39 PM
John, I had no intention of being "condescending." I'm sorry if you took my post that way. Still, if YOU want to shoot with one hand somthinng that develops the ME of a 30-06 and fires a 500 grain or heavier bu/oolit- well have at it! Enjoy. Knock yourself out.
#1. I have a .500 Handi-Rifle.
#2. I have never shot it one handed. :Fire:
#3. I hunt with a scoped Redhawk in .44 mag, and do not much care for shooting full house loads past 265 grains myself.
#4. Full house loads, even in the Handi Rifle, leaves bruises.
I discovered this after my first 40 round session. . . .

.44 mag? Where? Ya know the .445 is .44 caliber too?
. . .here

I know that the original post said .44 mag, and I'm not sure why I said that. . . .
. . .here

The point being that a 500 S&W (not hammering your peestola Happy7) and the larger linebaughs, etc. won't hit as hard as a 44 mag at 500 yds..
. . here

That's why for personal protection I prefer a .45 Colt or ACP to a 44 mag. They do almost as much damage, and don't kill five bystanders down the street.
You were clearly talking about a .44 magnum.

There may even be someone out there who could shoot such a thang and also hit something. I'm not even going to try. And yes, as I said earlier, I do load my .454 down to .44mag levels, and no I don't disparage loading down thangs that kick so hard that they HURT, duh.
I have no use for a .500 handgun period.
I wouldn't pass up shooting one at the range of course . . [smilie=1:
However, porting them tames the recoil down a bit, and they are no less accurate than any other gun.
They simply require more discipline to be as effective as they are capable of.
A .22 is easier to be accurate with than a .500 for the average guy.
People who buy .500 cal revolvers are most generally NOT average guys.
And devote a lot of time and money into becoming proficient with their $800-$1200 deer gun.

Petander
07-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I need a load for my 500 S&W. My 75 year old uncle wants to shoot it but at this point in his life recoil is not his thing. I could figure out something, but figured some of you have almost certainly played with this and if you have a good recommendation, I would rather use that than guess. Looking to downgrade to 44 spl type recoil. Probably will use the Lee 440 grain boolit.

I have a "plinker" 500 S&W load for 350 Hornady. My wife and some other females like to shoot it with the S&W 500 long barreled ported revolver, it´s not bad at all. Much milder than, say, an SBH with a medium load. I sold my SBH because the 500 is such a pleasure to shoot - over-the-top -loads aside, obviously. I get better long range accuracy with the 500, another reason to give up on 44. 500 can do everything that my 10" 44 was able to do. Model 500 can also handle some crazy stuff which I´m not gonna publish here.

Back to my 350 "plinker" load:

It uses 51 grains of Vihtavuori N120 and it chronoes around 1500 fps depending on the seating depth which is critical, mine is 2.100". With this slow a powder it´s quite easy to "load down" , this is about the lightest load that I´ve used on a 500 though. Otherwise the fired brass gets smoked on the outside pretty bad because of too little pressure. You can only load down so much.

As a comparision, I use (a very nice fitting) 420 LBT boolit with 48 grains of N120 and it goes 1700 fps. A faster powder like N110 gives a sharper recoil at a given bullet/velocity -combo. I shoot that 450 grain Lee with 35 grains of N110 and it´s quite powerful at 1550 fps. I have no mild load for the 450, it seems.

EDIT:

If I needed a mild load for that Lee boolit (mine drops at 450) I´d try some 38 grains of Vihtavuori N120 to start with. Based on my Quick Load memos it should be around 1300 fps with similar pressures to my 350 load. But it will obviously recoil more than the 350, although the recoil is "slower" , so to speak. A 450 bullet from any handgun will not be exactly low recoil.

Hope this helps. While on topic, I may get another light mold for plinkers, 500 is a dream to cast for anyway.

S.B.
10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
With the weight of the 500 pistols, you should be able to get a plinker load. My brother fiddled with Trailboss powder, which works great in large capacity cases. Accuracy didn't equal the full power loads, but was adequate for general plinking/fooling around. The formula for Trailboss in straight wall cases is: Fill a case to where the base of a bullet will be, and weigh the charge, 70% of this weight is your start charge. Just never compress Trailboss, they say it changes the burn rate dramatically. It's a very clean, easy to ignite powder.

You are kidding aren't you about getting low recoil reloads from a S&W 500(no such animal)??? I just read an article by John Ross on another forum about reloading 500s with Titegroup and the detentions that are posted on the internet.
Steve

grumman581
10-06-2013, 11:34 AM
You are kidding aren't you about getting low recoil reloads from a S&W 500(no such animal)??? I just read an article by John Ross on another forum about reloading 500s with Titegroup and the detentions that are posted on the internet.
Steve

After 6 years, I guess it might be interesting to know what the OP eventually tried and whether it was acceptable... :)

happy7
10-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I used trailboss, about 10 grains over a 440 grain bullet. Worked very well. Recoil was mild.

After 6 years, I guess it might be interesting to know what the OP eventually tried and whether it was acceptable... :)

grumman581
10-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I used trailboss, about 10 grains over a 440 grain bullet. Worked very well. Recoil was mild.

And what was your uncle's impression of it? He should be about 81 now, right? Does he still shoot with you?

happy7
10-07-2013, 03:12 PM
He was just visiting. He lives a days drive away and his health does not allow him to visit anymore. He enjoyed shooting it at the time. Recoil was not at all excessive for him.

cleah
04-12-2021, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, please help me out here. I fired my 500 mag for the first time a couple of days ago. I am using the Lee 440 gr cast bullet with gas check, and 10.0 gr Trail Boss. I got ready for a big recoil, and was a little disappointed to get less kick than my Springfield XDs in 45 ACP 230 gr with 5.7 gr Bullseye and 6.5 gr Unique. The case is only half full. Is 10.0 gr Bulleye the max? I don't want to harm my new gun, but a little more kick might increase the fun. Any advice/experience is welcome, please.

kayala
04-12-2021, 11:12 PM
I wouldn’t use any of the powders you’ve listed, cause they are too fast and you probably won’t be able to visually notice double or even a triple charge. If you want “safe” oomph you need to go with slower powders: H110, AA#4100, Enforcer, Alliant 300-MP, some rifle powders like CFE BLK by hodgdon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hanzy4200
04-13-2021, 11:23 AM
I have been playing with 10-11gr of Tightgroup in my 500 Linebaugh. Getting around 1,000 fps with 350 gr and just under that with 500 gr pills. Both powder coated hard cast. Still struggling with the 350's, but the 500's are quite accurate and pleasant to shoot.

I anticipated TG to be the last powder to use in a magnum, but the load was given to me by a seasoned Linebaugh fan, and darn if it doesn't shoot.

kayala
04-13-2021, 12:36 PM
Found a thread from 2018 (https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?352502-quot-Mild-quot-loads-for-the-S-amp-W-500-Magnum) by a 500 Mag expert with similar topic (mild loads). Good info.

bigboredad
04-14-2021, 12:00 AM
Please don't take this as a personal criticizm but I have never come to close to understanding the reasoning for taking a honking big caliber like .44 mag or .500 S&W or any one of a dozen others and loading it down like a .38 wadcutter to shoot. It's like getting a tractor and 53 foot trailer to cruise around the neighborhood or go to the 7-11 in it. When you don't want/need all that power, why not just plink with a .22 or 9mm or something like that. I know you can do what you want, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning...Well if you had read the op he has a 75 year old uncle that wants to shoot it. I never understand people that don't read the post but think they have the right to talk down to them. Or are you one of those just trying to get your post count higher

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk