PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Load 400 Corbon without case lube?

RGMJ
10-03-2012, 12:52 AM
HI Guys,

I recently got a 400 corbon barrel for my 1911.

I also got a Hornady die set to reload this. I read in a Midway review of the Lee 400 corbon dies that you can reload this round without case lube by passing it thru a 45 ACP carbide sizing die first before running it thru the 400 corbon steel sizing die.

Any of you guys tried this method?

Does it work? Is it safe for the steel sizing die (unlube case that is)?

Thanks for your replies....

ReloaderFred
10-03-2012, 01:14 AM
You'll get fewer wrinkled necks (ruined cases) if you size the brass first in the .45 acp die and then neck it down in the .400 Cor-Bon die with lube. I've tried it both ways, and now lube all the .45 brass I'm going to neck down to .400 Cor-Bon, as I've had a much higher success ratio using lube. All I do to remove the lube is tumble the brass in untreated corn cob for about 20 minutes.

I also only use once fired Winchester and Federal brass for sizing down to .400 Cor-Bon, since they're the thickest in the case wall and just last better than the other brands.

I also limit my bullet selection to no heavier than 165 gr. JFP. I've had the best luck with bullets in the 150 to 165 grain range in this caliber. I haven't really liked the 135 grain loadings that I've tried, so I just decided to stick with what works best in my pistol.

Hope this helps.

Fred

44Vaquero
10-03-2012, 01:25 AM
I have reloaded 400 Corbon for a few years and yes it will work (Depending upon how springy the brass is). The question is rather "Is it worth the added step"? I treat the 400 like a rifle caliber and case lube is a cost of doing business so to speak.

It's a fun round to play with! I did have to buy a reamer for use when forming my own cases. Necking down 45 ACP thickens the neck quite a bit! LOL.

Be careful if you are not using a ramped barrel, the case head is still unsupported.

Hope this helped.

JAP

Moonie
10-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I do not lube 400 cases unless I'm forming new ones from 45 acp. I use a 45 carbide die then the steel 400 die. Not an extra step in my Loadmaster.

cylinderman
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
+1 on running them first through 45 ACP die then form 400 corbon. I always use case lube but only very little, I think it keeps things more consistent.

SOFMatchstaff
10-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I use the same procedure with the 357SIG and a 40S&W die set up as you describe for the Corbon. Works well and I only lube a case lightly every 10 or so. On a RL-1050 its a no brainer, plenty of extra die positions.

RGMJ
10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
I tried it and it works! Also plan on doing it for 357 Sig.....thanks again..

AMProducts
10-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Be careful running unlubed brass through a steel die, there is a strong tendency for the brass to gall and leave deposits in your die, which usually means getting out a dremel tool and a polishing wheel to try to clean it out.

As Fred said... just tumble it after sizing, for better effect, add a tablespoon of mineral spirits.