PDA

View Full Version : Dies- RCBS, Dillon, or?

rfp357
10-02-2012, 11:59 PM
I've been using a Lee Pro1k and have gotten good results from it. I'm new to reloading and have borrowed a friends older RCBS press and really like using it. It is so much slower than the progressive but I like taking my time while I reload.

I will buy a used RCBS press since I like it so much and wanted to know what dies you think I should buy to reload 9mm? Another friend swears that Dillon dies are the way to go although he doesn't knock other manufacturers dies.

I got a set of .38/.357 RCBS dies with the Pro1k and have been using them w/the RCBS press and I like them. Should I just buy the RCBS 9mm dies or spend extra money to get the Dillon dies? Is there any advantage to the Dillon dies?

Alvarez Kelly
10-03-2012, 12:33 AM
I own lots of Dillon equipment... but... in my opinion, if you are not loading on a Dillon, you won't get the extra money's worth out of a set of Dillon dies. Buy the RCBS dies and save some money.

Dillon dies have a large chamfer at the bottom of each die, to smooth the entry of the case into the die if the case is out of line a bit. You don't really need that if you are loading on most single stage presses. Also, the Dillon dies do not come with a belling or case flaring die. Dillon presses use a powder funnel to "bell" the straight wall cases. You will need a case flaring die if you load on a single stage press.

Now... if you PLAN to buy a Dillon in the future, that is different. Buy the Dillon dies. Buy a single case flaring die. A Lee die will work fine... The Dillon dies (plus a flare die) will work fine for now, and you will be VERY happy when you use them later on your Dillon. :-)

rmcc
10-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I have all kinds of dies from old Herters to RCBS, yes, and Dillon. For me, short of calling Dillon, I would go with what Alvarez Kelly says when it comes to Dillon stuff. I load on 3 presses, a Hollywood "Senior", Lyman All American turret, and a Dillon 550. Other than for the expander issue with Dillon dies, I would use Dillon just because of the flared mouth of dies.

Rich

LUBEDUDE
10-03-2012, 03:45 AM
I primarily load on 3 Dillons, 3 Hollywoods, and 2-3 other older Turret loaders. Like rmcc, I have dies all over the map as well. I think AK nailed it.

Moondawg
10-03-2012, 04:32 AM
I have a Dilllon 550 with four seperate shell holder heads. Two of the heads have Dillon dies, one has Redding Progressive dies and one has RCBS dies. All of them work equally well. On my Redding turret press I have both RCBS and Reddng dies. Both work well. I also have a set of Forster dies that are top notch.

r1kk1
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
One of these best features of Dillon dies is the quick release feature of removing a pin and place hand under die to catch the innards. Makes cleaning dies a breeze and assembles very quick.

Take care

r1kk1

jakharath
10-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Ditto what AK said. The Dillon dies shine on a progressive.

MT Chambers
10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
For me the Redding dies are absolute tops, followed by Forster, then RCBS but note that I have reloaded for 50 some years and never used a progressive press, so can't comment on Dillon dies.

DCM
10-09-2012, 09:08 PM
The Dillon seating die is great for loading cast as you can completely disassemble it to clean out built up lube without losing your seating setting.

Lance Boyle
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I use Dillon for pistol dies and Redding, RCBS, and Hornady for rifle. Preference in that order.

I read that the Dillon dies in rifle calibers are held to small base dimensions. I don't need SB dies for my guns.

Shiloh
10-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I have and use both. The quick release aspect if the Dillon seating die is great for cleaning accumulated
lube off of it in a hurry.

Shiloh

MT Chambers
10-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Like I said earlier, Redding for me, but all these dies get Forster lock rings for use in the Co-ax press and instant change out, without unscrewing anything, much less trouble then bushing set ups.

wv109323
10-11-2012, 08:41 PM
The only dies that I can badmouth is a set of Lyman in .223 Remington. I break a decapping pin about every 1-200 rounds that I resize. The Lyman use a special headed decapping pin. I have broken a total of 8 decapping pins in the LYman dies and maybe 2 pins with all my other dies.

PB234
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Yesterday I bent the depriming pin in a RCBS die. Called RCBS and said that is was my fault the pin bent and could I buy another from them. They took my name and address and are sending a pin no charge. Customer service woman laughed when I told her I took some wire out of a mouse trap to use as a pin while waiting for the new to arrive.

Second time I have had this level of service from RCBS.

1874Sharps
10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
+1 on what ALVAREZ KELLY said.

lhead71
10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
RCBS service is fantastic but so is Dillon's. Either way they both make great dies, Dillon's are more expensive but have some features that are worthwhile as mentioned above.

AMProducts
10-14-2012, 10:53 AM
I prefer RCBS, mostly because RCBS truely has a lifetime warranty on their dies, including decapping assemblies and knock out pins. RCBS dies are also more flexible as they can be used in a wide variety of setups. Dillon dies are great if you load the dillon way, and only the dillon way. As soon as you start doing something different their dies really start to show the places where they are inadequate.

That said, I do like forster, and lyman dies, and own more than a few sets of them. I usually avoid lee dies at all costs. I do occasionally use specialty dillon dies (carbide .223 sizing die), .223 trim die for the RT1200...

r1kk1
10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Dillon dies are great if you load the dillon way, and only the dillon way. As soon as you start doing something different their dies really start to show the places where they are inadequate.

Not picking on ya brother but could you elaborate where the Dillon dies fall short minus the expanding die and the limited amount of calibers? I use CH4D, Redding, RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman for some other stuff.

Just curious,

r1kk1