PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Abboud pewter?

mpbarry1
10-02-2012, 11:49 PM
I have been chasing kids and fires all summer and neglected my casting bud. But I found a bowl marked as Joseph abboud pewter in a little second hand store. I paid 20 bucks for it. But when I got home I noticed it doesn't say pewter on the bottom! Just Joseph Abboud and made in India. It is not magnetic. any advise on if this is pewter?

Suo Gan
10-03-2012, 01:15 AM
I have been chasing kids and fires all summer and neglected my casting bud. But I found a bowl marked as Joseph abboud pewter in a little second hand store. I paid 20 bucks for it. But when I got home I noticed it doesn't say pewter on the bottom! Just Joseph Abboud and made in India. It is not magnetic. any advise on if this is pewter?

No idea, if it bends easily it is pewter.

imashooter2
10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Put fire to it. If it melts at casting temperatures, it's most likely the real deal. That said, I've never seen any real pewter from India, just pot metal castings, really low quality brass and hammered aluminum. Is it a thick casting? Pewter is thin drawn shapes, sometimes with rolled edges for strength.

I'll Make Mine
10-03-2012, 07:14 AM
That said, I've never seen any real pewter from India, just pot metal castings, really low quality brass and hammered aluminum.

Warning -- pot metal (unspecified zinc alloy) melts at around lead casting temperature, but you don't want it mixed with your good lead...

arkypete
10-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Don't know the maker's name, but... My Mom and Dad sent me a set pewter cups made in India with wood bases for gin and tonics. This was back when the lead scare was going full strength and I found out that acidic drinks could leach out the lead. They became casting material and the dozen cups kept my happy for six of eight months.

A lot of my pewter that my wife has found at yard sales, Goodwill, and Salvation Army have been made in India.

Jim

clodhopper
10-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Indian pewter usually has a higher lead content than english pewter, I have found jewley boxes and incense burners in indian pewter.
Only worth 1/2 as much per pound as nice english goblets.