PDA

View Full Version : .22 Magnum worth having?

Lawyerman
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I have a chance to pick up a Mossberg 640 Chuckster at a very reasonable price. The rifle is in decent shape. I am mainly interested in it as a substitute for my .223's in the 100 yard range.

In the past I have not wanted another cartridge between the .22 LR and the .223 but with the price of .223 being what it is another option is needed and I really don't want to reload for another cartridge-dies, brass....not enough time!

I am looking to shoot prairie dogs, coyotes, bobcats etc.....at moderate ranges.

Worth having?

felix
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Not practical for a reloader having a 222/223. Now, if you want a close range 22 pistol with the 22LR power out of a rifle, then yes, but only in a pistol format. ... felix

Scrounger
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Have you checked the price of .22 Magnum ammo? Reloading is cheaper.

Dragoon
05-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I like the .22 magnum in a rifle but not in a pistol.

Around my house my .22 magnum is frequently the only rifle I have that I know for certain I have ammo for and is sighted in for that ammo.

Everything else is usually a work in progress. I never stop tinkering with loads.

Lawyerman
05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Reloading .223 isn't that much cheaper! Definitely not cheaper if your time is worth anything at all-

A primer is going to cost .02

Bullets run at least .08, for plain jane bullets in bulk

Powder is about .04-05 depending on load/type

That's .14 a round. I can buy .22 magnums for .14-20 a round depending on load. No time invested either, no tumbling brass, no picking up cases, no adjusting dies, no trimming cases NO MUCKING WITH IT AT ALL....shoot it and let it lay. That has a certain amount of value to me.

Bullshop
05-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I have had great interest in the performance of the 22 wmr(22mag) as I wanted to establish a base line performance level for my 22 CCM. I have the 22 CCM in both rifle and pistal and revolver. That is a mod. 37 Cooper with 24", a 10" Bullberry contender, and a 6" Ruger single six.
With a standerd 40gn 22mag 10" contender and 20" rifle were about the same at 1900 fps. If you need exact #'s and brands I will look it up. Same load in a revolver was 1300 fps.
In comparison the 22 LR in the 6" revolver was 900 fps and from a rifle barrel was 1300 fps. So you can see from this test that at least with this load the 22 mag in revolver was about equal to the 22 LR from rifle barrel.
The 22 CCM will out do the 22 mag on all counts. From the 6" revolver it is easy to get 1500 fps from a 50gn boolit. And the same load from rifle will go to 2100 fps. What I like about the 22 CCM is that you can tinker with the load to improve accuracy but with the 22 mag you can only try different brands of ammo. I also like the fact that I can load the 22 CCM for about .025 cents per round for PB or about .04 cents ea. with gas check. Up here last time I checked the 22 mag is about $10.00 PER 50 ROUNDS. So for increased performance over the 22 mag they run me about $2.00 per 50 rounds and for increased performance over the 22 LR they run me about $1.25 per 50 rounds.
See why I like the Cooper. I like it enough that I bought a reamer. Had it made for boolits with a 1 degree lead angle.
Sorry I went a little beyond your question, but I must confess to being a Cooperholic.
BIC/BS

carpetman
05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Lawyerman--You have not done enough research in presenting your case. The Mossberg 640 probably falls in the cheaper catagory of guns and those in that catagory seldom increase in value. Somewhat like buying a BIC lighter. You did factor in costs so this is a factor. Your comparison of reloading a .223 vs cost of .22 magnum is flawed in that you are comparing the cost of a jacketed round to the cost of a .22 mag round which is basically a cast round. To not have an apples to oranges comparison you would need to use the cost of reloading a cast round. In this case the cost of powder drops and the cost of the bullet about nil,but your primer cost is spot on(spot on until those darn democrats take over and drive up the cost of components). Back in the cave man days when people used film in cameras and paid developing costs,I never understood why people bought a poor quality camera and spent all that time taking pictures and spending all that money for film and processing to get a very poor quality picture. With a better camera they could have had a great picture. Very soon they have spent more on film and processing than what a good camera would cost and all they have is poor quality photos.
We are now to the point of reloading cast in your .223. Good luck. My .223 doesnt shoot cast. None of many combinations I tried worked. But that is good news. You indicated you really didnt have interest in something between .22 lr and .223. Get a 22-250. It is not in between--it's more. The monetary aspect being a consideration--you want something that will increase in value. It's my understanding that Freedom Arms makes such a fine product that they go up in value almost every day. I don't know if they make a 22-250 but if not Waksupi's place could probably convert it. Maybe use a barrel liner and not even have to buy a new barrel. A 22-250 using cast would do a bang up job on prarie dogs,feral cats,bobcats,feral cats,coyotes,feral cats,jackrabbits and feral cats at 100 yards.
So in answer to your question is the 640 worth having? Buy it if the price is right.

Lawyerman
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
It's my understanding that .22 WMR bullets are actually miniature jacketed bullets and not just plated. I may be wrong about that but I have been reading some online articles about the round to try and brush up and that was mentioned. They also are making quite a few lighter bullets these days in the 33 grain range that are ballistic tip types etc....

If I need something more than a .223 I will step up to my .243....again I try to limit the number of bullets, types of brass, dies etc....that I have around.

The Mossberg is a cheap gun indeed but for no more than I plan on using it it should suffice, at $75 it seemed like a good possibility. I would rather count angels on pinheads than attempt to cast .22 bullets again....I have done it but it's a little more demanding than I care to mess with.

May pass on this idea. Thanks guys.

357maximum
05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I have had this argument with myself on a few occassions......I still own a 22 mag rifle, because when it was absent from the stable I missed it waaaaaay tooo much..

All costs and stuff aside...it is nice to have a nice 125+or- yard woodchuck gun that does not need to be handloaded......the luxury of having one gun with plenty of shells ready to go without no labor involved does have it's merits....I would buy the gun if it were I.

Cabelas sold me a bunch of severely discounted 22mag solid points to last for many many moon...this gun is not really used for nothing other than homestead vermin patrol, but it serves that purpose admirally....woodchucks/crows/meows fall to it alot...and it does not beller loudly like my other tools either....

just my nickel

mooman76
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Reloading .223 isn't that much cheaper! Definitely not cheaper if your time is worth anything at all-

A primer is going to cost .02

Bullets run at least .08, for plain jane bullets in bulk

Powder is about .04-05 depending on load/type

That's .14 a round. I can buy .22 magnums for .14-20 a round depending on load. No time invested either, no tumbling brass, no picking up cases, no adjusting dies, no trimming cases NO MUCKING WITH IT AT ALL....shoot it and let it lay. That has a certain amount of value to me.

If that's the case, why reload at all? No insult intended!

Lawyerman
05-29-2007, 03:57 PM
There are plenty of reasons to reload other rounds. Cast bullets are one of them-factory offerings are slim AND they are generally considered to be a cheaper alternative! Right now though the run up in metals prices and the outrageous demand for everything in .22 cal jackets has made reloading less attractive when I can get "enough" performance without it. While it may seem heresy on a reloading website, reloading is NOT always the answer in my opinion though often it is-

Take the .45 ACP for example- there is almost NO advantage in jacketed bullets- you can't run them any faster than lead, they are at least as accurate and often more so than jacketed and if you buy them locally or cast your own they are always cheaper than jacketed bullets.....At least three reasons right there for reloading just one cartridge.

By the same tolken how many "average" reloaders do you know over the last few years who have been reloading 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 8mm Mauser? I would venture to say VERY FEW. Why? Cause cheap surplus made it a whole lot more attractive to just buy some ammo, shoot it up, drop the cases on the ground and spend time with the family (or shooting?) instead of tumbling cases, trimming cases, reloading cases etc......

But, when it costs as much or more to reload and any performance "boost" is lost due to the short range- for my outlay of time....it doesn't make sense. I am nothing if not practical about things, just because I CAN reload doesn't mean I MUST reload...... Make sense?:mrgreen:

Mallard57
05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
How could you go wrong for $75.00?
Jeff

MT Gianni
05-29-2007, 11:21 PM
How could you go wrong for $75.00?
Jeff

Ask the owners of Remington 5mm's. I prefer to cast and load for far more versitility than the magnums good performance vs cost. Gianni

Mallard57
05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Ask the owners of Remington 5mm's.
?????????????????
How about asking all the owners of the .17 HMR?
Jeff

IcerUSA
05-30-2007, 01:02 AM
.17 HMR [smilie=1: I like mine, but then again I liked my 22mag when I had one, and I still compare all the rimfires that I have to the 5mm I had in the 70's, that old 5mm was one son of a shooter once the barrel got broke in, best squrill(SP) gun I ever owned, hoping the .17 comes close to it tho :)

Bullshop
05-30-2007, 01:46 AM
IcerUSA
Say icer I still have one of those 5mm's and yes I do reload for it. Got one of the center fire conversions for it from Shroader bullet works. I dont care for it as well as the 22 ccm cuz I dont have a mold for it,YET.
BIC/BS

Bass Ackward
05-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Lawyerman,

I would say that when you got the impulse to make your first rebuttal, that you already made up your mind. :grin:

Life is too short. You want it, and it's a good price, I say grab it. You never know what might happen in the future. And if for some reason primers were off the market, the competition for 22LR is going to be fierce.

So having another, off the shelf, option isn't such a bad idea really.

7br
05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I am having a lot of fun with a 10" contender in .22 hornet. 55gr RCBS, in front of 4+ grains of 231. I think I am sneaking up on 2" groups at 100yds. They run about 1650fps. I guess it would be a triple duece. .02 for primer, .02 for the check and .02 for the powder. And that is my .02.

frank505
05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
We gave a 22 mag to our hired man on the farm for varmint control. I think it was a ? bolt action. He loves it.
I used a Ruger 10/22 mag for deer culling and killed many with the Federal 30 grain hollow point and then switched to the Winchester 34 grain hollow point for the rest of my tenure. I still have the Ruger and also a Winchester 94/22. Maybe havent shot them for a while but I cannot get rid of the Ruger, it made me lots of money and was absolutly reliable no matter the weather conditions. It is kinda nice to have a rifle I don't have to load for sometimes.

Mallard57
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
It is kinda nice to have a rifle I don't have to load for sometimes.
Exactly!
Jeff

jh45gun
05-31-2007, 01:50 AM
75 bucks is a no brainer that is dirt cheap for a 22 mag rifle of any kind. I would jump on that like now. I am enjoying reloading cast for my 30 cal centerfires and others but I like the 22 mag for what it is and it kills big for its size. It is a nice round. I have a 22 mag Henry that is extremely accurate and a joy to shoot though with the price of ammo I keep it for critter control and not plinking. If I want to plink I will shoot my 22lr's or cast loads. But for a truck gun as a go along gun for when out and about the 22 mag goes along a lot.

mparks
05-31-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd never be without my .22 mag. Just the right tool for chucks around the yard where I don't want to touch off a centerfire. It's a little much for squirrels, where I think the .22LR is still king, but with a headshot it doesn't matter.

For chucks, the .22 mag has it all over the .22 LR. If you can place every shot in the head than it doesn't matter but the mag allows the luxury of a body shot and they die right there. With the LR, I had too many good hit chucks get down the hole leaving me wonder how long it took them to die.

I have an HMR as well and it's fine, but I still prefer the .22 WMR. You can't compare the 17 HMR and 22 WMR to the old 5mm Rem. Shells will be available for these too popular calibers long after we're all pushing up daisys. Way too many guns out there to feed already.

Lee
06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
My vote?...Get it!...You can always sell it later if you really don't fall in love with it. Just be sure to lay in a stock of .22Mag fodder for it. Those prices aren't going down, IMHO they will not go down. I believe the cartridge companies have discovered what the gas companies have known for a long time. We will moan and gripe, but we will pay. And get in line to do it! Even the .22LR prices are going out of sight. But I digress. Buy it!...............................Lee;-)

HORNET
06-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Get it! All my .22 centerfire ammo tends to be test loads so the .22 mag gets used on stray critters that are too big for the .22 rf.
Mossbergs tend to need glass bedding to remove excess slop and, like the other rimfires, tend to be ammo sensitive. Get an assortment and see what it likes. It could surprise you. Some ammo is loaded with actual jacketed but there's lots out there that use plated and usually costs considerably less. Enjoy..

azcoyhunter
06-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I love my Marlin.

Very Accurate, and a joy to shoot.

Clint

excess650
06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I had downloaded my M70 Fwt 223 to somewhere between 22mag and 22 Hornet velocities, and it was quite deadly, but sold it. I HAD a Stevens 44-1/2 with mismatched barrel relined to 22 Hornet and it was a shooter, but someone talked me out of it. I've since picked up a Ruger #1 22 Hornet, but not had time to cast and load for it. A few weeks back I was at the range and a friend showed up with several guns he was selling for a widow. He offered me a like new Savage 65M 22 mag for $100, and I couldn't refuse. I've wanted a 22 mag for quite a while, but never enough to pony up real $ for one. When I went to buy ammo I was shocked at how expensive it IS.:holysheep I remembered 22mags being $6 a box, but now they are double to triple!

The 22 mag boltgun is quie a bit lighter than the #1 Hornet, and I won't be out much $ if something happens to it.

cowboy
06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Howdy-
LOVE my .22 mags! Picked up a used Marlin 25M at a show for around $80. Discovered on the Rimfire site how to improve the trigger pull considerably. Fell in love, wondered how I'd overlooked the round all these years.
Bought a new CZ 452 American to scope- I see Timney makes a trigger. The story continues....:lol::lol::lol:
Oh, Yeah. the ammo thing. Picked up some more CCI from Wally World- $9 and change for 50. That I can bear.

HeavyMetal
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
When I got a hair up my nose for a rim fire rifle in the "Mag" class I did a bunch of research before spending my cash.

Being left handed really bends the cards a bit but in the end I bought a Savage left handed bull barrel 17HMR and have been real happy with it.

Bought 500 rounds from Cabella's and, even though the price has gone up buying in bulk is the only way to do rimfire ammo.

Now if I had the chance to buy the Mossberg at 75 bucks I think I would if for no other reason than to try it out.

I also see the sense in a 22 mag versus reloading the 223. Never been a fan of stepping down performance! If I need 223 I shoot 223, if a 22LR will get the job done I use it.

Time means something to me as well and the point is one worth some thought.

thx997303
06-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Bringing up a thread that's been dead for 3 years.

Crazy people.

jh45gun
06-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Crazy people.

No big deal ya see that a lot on forums. I don't I just start a new thread but others may want to continue a discussion especially if they just got a product that fits that thread.

JIMinPHX
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Howdy-
LOVE my .22 mags! Picked up a used Marlin 25M at a show for around $80. Discovered on the Rimfire site how to improve the trigger pull considerably.

Would you mind pointing me towards that thread please?

JeffinNZ
06-18-2010, 05:34 PM
No, in short. Buy a .17HMR or handload a .223 or Hornet.

smkummer
06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
As stated in the above posts. Ammo is not cheap but its a really fun caliber to shoot and plink with. Flat shooting to the 100 yard mark. I have a single shot bolt action Colt in this caliber. You can duplicate the performance with the Lyman 225415 bullet in a 223 for less cost than 22 mag. ammo but its work. I can find it for $9 per 50 in this neck of the woods. You can also fire the sometimes cheaper CCI 22WRF in these guns.

rollmyown
06-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Had an Erma in 22 mag 20 years ago. It shot great. Don't exactly know how it grouped, but it shot well above it's weight on game. Wish I still had it! I have a CZ 17hmr and I regret to say so far I'm very dissapointed. Have bought a different batch of ammo in a different brand and hope it shoots better. Off to the range tomorrow Time will tell....

jh45gun
06-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Had an Erma in 22 mag 20 years ago. It shot great. Don't exactly know how it grouped, but it shot well above it's weight on game. Wish I still had it! I have a CZ 17hmr and I regret to say so far I'm very dissapointed. Have bought a different batch of ammo in a different brand and hope it shoots better. Off to the range tomorrow Time will tell....

Buy a new Henry if you miss that Erma it is the same gun. The Family who owns Henry Repeating Arms had Erma make the gun. The same gun was also made under the Ithica and Iver Johnson Names. The folks that own Henry bought out Iver Johnson years ago I suspect for the machinery. I have a Henry 22 mag and it is very accurate.

markinalpine
06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I am looking to shoot prairie dogs, coyotes, bobcats etc.....at moderate ranges.

Worth having?

Might not be legal to use rimfire ammo for hunting some critters. :groner:
Better check your state laws.
Mark :coffeecom

StarMetal
06-19-2010, 03:17 PM
The cost of the ammo is starting to out weigh the great features of the cartridge.

cuzinbruce
06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes on the 22 WMRF. I have two, a Ruger 77/22 and a Marlin Levermatic. Fun and no hassles.

Shiloh
06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Have you checked the price of .22 Magnum ammo? Reloading is cheaper.

+1 to this!!

$10-$18 for a box of 50!!

Shiloh

Cactus Farmer
06-20-2010, 10:33 AM
My hornets (yes I have more than one,no they are not for sale) and 222 are way cheaper than 22 mags. The plus is they are more accurate and shoot alot farther and still have the umph to do the job.
Besides I enjoy reloading!

kyle623
06-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Personally I'd get a 17HMR for yotes at 100 yds. but for 75 bucks I'd also own a 22 mag.

Shiloh
07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Have you priced the Ammo?? $12-$22 for 50 rds. depending on brand and type.

Shiloh

82nd airborne
07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
ever shoot a raccoon thru the shoulders with a 22lr and a 22wmr? they ussually run off with the 22lr, not with the wmr. you could just shoot them thru the head, but at distance, and holding a flashlight thats tricky. we ussally kill several a night off of our deer feeders in the fall.

kyle623
07-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I've taken several raccoons with the lowly 22 short. always a head shot though. as far as ammo price, 17HMR and 22 mag are pretty much the same price in my area.

AZ-Stew
07-07-2010, 02:46 AM
I have two M-48 S&W revolvers in .22 Magnum, as well as a Winchester M-94-22M lever gun. All are a hoot to shoot. I'd rather compensate for drop and have a heavier bullet than to shoot a .17 cal.

Regards,

Stew

(Post # 2,000! [smilie=w: Two Boolits!)

leadman
07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I have a Savage 24DL in 22mag/20ga and a Savage LH bolt gun in 17HMR. I've shot animals up to coyotes with both and can say that the 22 mag with the Federal 50gr. bullet is a much more sure killer than the 17.
Some of the newer 22 mag ammo has jacketed bullets, but there are still plated bullets like the 50 gr Federal and the Armscor ammo available for around $10. You can also shoot the 22WFR out af a 22 mag. Just have to clean the chamber like one does with 38/357.
I used to kill rabbits in this area by a resivour(SP) that has rolling hills coming down from the mountains. All rotten granite in the area so you walk up one side, rabbit runs up the other, hit the granite next to the rabbit with 50gr bullet, dead rabbit with no holes in it!

9.3X62AL
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM

Crazy people.

You say "crazy people" like it's a bad thing. How sane is someone sitting next to 22# of 700* molten metal in 107* temps? That would be me today, BTW. :)

I've owned a couple 22 WMR rifles, and they add about 50 yards to what a 22 LR long gun can do. That's a substantial upgrade. I LOVE the cartridge in a revolver--it doubles a revolver's humane small game-taking range over that of a 22 LR short gun.

longbow
07-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Even though this thread is old and maybe I'm crazy I thought I would add my $0.02 here.

I have a Ruger Single Six with 9" barrel in .22/.22 mag. I am impressed with the .22 mag. It seems to perform all out of proportion to its size and rimfire status.

I have wanted but not yet got a .22 mag rifle. Looking at ballistics between .17 HMR and .22 mag I have to give my vote to .22 mag.

While ammo is somewhat pricey, there is good variety as mentioned above ranging from lead, plated lead to jackets and even Hornady Vmax bullets. Much better selection I think than for .17HMR and at about the same price.

When I have some spare toy money I will add a .22 mag to my gun rack.

Yup, you can load .22 Hornet and some others cheaper than rimfire but as mentioned previously, some of us don't always want to reload. A rimfire is a nice option.

Longbow