PDA

View Full Version : Why not anymore 35 Rem bolt guns?

RU shooter
10-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Ive been following this GB auction out of curiosity since I'm lucky enough to own one of these fine rifles in 35 rem http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=308375901

I was amazed at what It got to !:holysheep Now to my question ,Why isnt anyone making a short light carbine like these anymore in 35 Rem.? The remington model 7 action seems like a perfect fit ,Add a 20 -22" barrel and you would have quite a potent hunting rifle in a slim and light package that would handle the needs as far as power and range of the majority of hunters in the field today especially the eastern side of the country. Maybe it would help if they marketed it as the ultra short, thin magnum the "35 USTM":-P

Gtek
10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Cause it does not travel at twice the speed of sound, and only drop 1/2" at 300 yards, clean the deer, and have it secured ready for transport. I will be the big 51 this week and I am real glad I am not influened by the gun rags. If you watch TV, it takes $1500 dollars worth of gear to bag a turkey. I have way to much of the production stuff, but I usually require building what I want now. It is not the cheapest route, but you end up with exactly what you had in mind. What about a cheap 700 from some rack with .30 cal bolt face, Sako mod the extractor. Cartridge tail only .013" smaller. After fire form cases and with boolits might just make you giggle! Gtek

RU shooter
10-02-2012, 08:04 PM
The old 35 doesn't get much respect because it has been loaded to low pressures for some old weak rifles.

If you look at Ranch Dog's load data, the 35Rem only gives up 100fps to the 356 Winchester when both are loaded to the same pressure level and same weight boolits. Most of his 40Kpsi loads are in excess of 2200fps, and the top velocity getters are knockin' on 2400fps from a 20" barrel.

I know a guy with a cast boolit silhouette rifle in 35 Rem, and its on an old Rem 722 action. Your right, I have those RD load pages saved for further reference quite a bit warmer compared to common loading manuals , Ive loaded mine up fairly warm with jacketed bullets but a light 6 lb rifle takes the joy out of it fairly quick so I stick to mostly standard loads I dont think that extra 2-300 fps is gonna make them animals any more dead.

fatnhappy
10-02-2012, 09:06 PM
why buy a .35 remington when I can stick a .358 in the same sized action and use military brass?

That's near as I can figure the reasoning. Sadly I have no .35 remingtons in my gun room since I gave our father's marlin to my brother. I have a plan...... and a 95 mauser action.

Lefty SRH
10-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I've been playing with my .35 Rem 336 a lot here lately and have actually been considering having LH Savage SA rebarreled and chambered for .35 Remington. Its an outstanding cartridge!

cz75shadow
10-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I love the 35 remington as well, just bought a new 336 marlin, yet to fire it.

izzyjoe
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
i don't know why they stopped making them, i've alway's liked the look's of the Rem 600, the one with the rib barrel, i'd love to have one in 35 rem.

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Its a personal thing but ive just never wrapped myself around the need for a bolt in 35 3030 or something like the 44 mag. A lever gun in those calibers can be just as accurate, is better handling and has much more firepower. Plus they are much cooler.

MBTcustom
10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
why buy a .35 remington when I can stick a .358 in the same sized action and use military brass?

That's near as I can figure the reasoning. Sadly I have no .35 remingtons in my gun room since I gave our father's marlin to my brother. I have a plan...... and a 95 mauser action.

Yeah, it kinda steals its thunder as a bolt gun. 358 can easily be down loaded just a touch and put you in 35 remington territory. The 35R is getting harder and harder to find brass for (at least its expensive) and I have not found any made by the better quality brass manufacturers.
The 358 is just easier in every way.
However, if you really want a short, handy, bolt gun in 35 Remington, I know somebody who can make it happen. [smilie=1:

cuzinbruce
10-03-2012, 07:59 AM
That is a cool looking gun. I don't think I have ever seen one for real. $1100 is a lot for a deer rifle.
The.35 Rem I have is a Model 141 pump gun. Nice gun to hunt with, handy and quick.

bob208
10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
i remember back in the day the 91,93 and 95 mausers were rebarreled in .35 alot. i guess there are still some of them floating around killing deer and black bear.

smokemjoe
10-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I had one gun with 4 barrels, 1-17 twist,1-14,1-12 and 1-10, Go in 1-12 for all bullets, 1-10 for 300 Grs. +, Joe

RU shooter
10-03-2012, 10:31 AM
That is a cool looking gun. I don't think I have ever seen one for real. $1100 is a lot for a deer rifle.
The.35 Rem I have is a Model 141 pump gun. Nice gun to hunt with, handy and quick.

Yep there a little different than the normal . I would imagine the price went that high as it's in real clean shape and they only made around 3 thousand in that caliber and it was on made for two years I believe 1963/64, mines got a sn in the nine hundred something range. But it's not in that original condition as my dad removed the vent rib from it .

357Mag
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
RU -

Howdy !

Once saw a Remington "Custom Shop" M700KS, chambered in .35Rem.
This was back when the M7 action was pretty new. They had a $1,100 price tag on it, then !!

An XP-100 chambered in .35 Rem, would make a great starting point for build-up of a .35Rem bolt gun. An M7 also makes sense, as mentioned previous by others

IMHO:
With today's M-336 XLR's having a 24" barrel, the .35Rem of this century is nearly a whole new deal. One would have to want a bolt gun for some specific reason(s), when the .35Rem XLR already shoots so well ( mine sure does ).

With regards,
357Mag

0verkill
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Or what about a good pump action?

MBTcustom
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Or go find you an old Remington model 8 semi-auto humpback rifle? (gotta get me one someday)

izzyjoe
10-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Or go find you an old Remington model 8 semi-auto humpback rifle? (gotta get me one someday)

that and the model 81 are dandy rifle's, rem made several pump rifles in 35 rem. the 141, 760. Rem. offer a model 7 in 35 rem in the custom shop, but the price is crazy high!

o6Patient
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I too like the 35 rem had a 336 marlin and really liked it..don't know why I ever sold it.
Which brings us to the question of bolt gun, if there was a demand they would.
One can always load a 358 win down but you can't load the 35 up to that point.
35s are not terribly popular anyway so a niche for a 35 rem in a bolt just doesn't
seem likely. Why don't more 280 rems get chambered? That's a much under
appreciated and useful caliber?? and on and on with many great but now obsolete
calibers: If there was a market niche they would have one. There is always custom.
Just be very careful choosing a custom gunsmith..They are not all created equal...
I got taken by one up in Maine building a 350 rem mag. for me. Later learned he had
been doing this to a lot of people..with impunity.. do a little research first.

Doc Highwall
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I would have to agree with the 358 Winchester for a bolt gun, plenty of 308 Winchester brass.

Doc_Stihl
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I had one gun with 4 barrels, 1-17 twist,1-14,1-12 and 1-10, Go in 1-12 for all bullets, 1-10 for 300 Grs. +, Joe

Hey I have a rifle JUST like that. :)

MJR007
01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I like the 358win a lot!I just picked up a used Rem7600 in a 243 that I hope to rebarrel into a 358win. I think it is the perfect black bear on bait rifle. If someone knows a outfit that works on pump rifles please let me know. Hart Barrels does most of my rebarrel work but they only do bolt rifles. The good thing about the 358 you can make into a 35rem with just a little less powder...

Houndog
01-02-2013, 09:21 PM
The 35 Remington (and the 358 Winchester) are like a couple of old plow Mules. They are strong enouth to get the job done and dependable as all getout, but they just arent sexy and fast enough for the sometimes "hunter" afflicted with magnumitis. Look at the rounds we KNOW are good, like the 35 Remington and .358 Winchester as well as the .280 Remington, 25 Savage, 257 Roberts and several other "oldies but goodies." There's nothing wrong with any of them! They just don't appeal to the sometimes hunter, and if a gun maker has slow sales of ANY chambering, they drop em in a heartbeat.

scb
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
If someone knows a outfit that works on pump rifles please let me know.

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

MJR007
01-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Thank you scb.

TNsailorman
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
maybe we could just repackage it as the .35 R magnum, put it in a short action like the Marlin 16 1/4 barrel models and load factory ammo up to its full potential and "viola", hot seller.

IndySteve
03-20-2014, 08:37 PM
My apologies for digging this thread up from the achieves.

HARDLY "factory" but probably the only bolt gun in 35 Rem I've seen in a LOT of years ......so I contacted a buddy......we hashed it over.....and it should arrive in another week or so.

I am curious to see how loads work out in it.

Small ring mauser, bolt, safety, trigger work supposedly done.
19 inch lightweight barrel
35 Rem
Butt plate, no stinking butt pad (I hate butt pads!!)

Trimmed to 1.8 its legal for deer here and while NOT great on the chamber/neck it wont get shot much that way. All workup loads can be shot full length then double check with the trimmed neck to make sure POI is the same but doubt more than 5 rounds a year get shot in it in the short form.......IF I have anything to say about it.

Just sharing........I might be back for ***********HELP*********** since I know diddly about Mauser actions except a **** load of guys like em. Not sure yet if its a 96 or......????. I CAN say I've always wanted to get my hands on a couple to see what the big hoo-rah was about them.

No more than we paid for it, it wont be a biggie doing some work if needed........as long as it IS correctable.

Pig in a Poke Purchase.......but I think it's COOL. Obviously built as a "lightweight" carry rifle. Should be a winner for the ranges intended. Indiana has a bunch of those ranges. :razz:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/Steve692/35Rem_zps4b7eb414.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/Steve692/media/35Rem_zps4b7eb414.jpg.html)

Taking donations in 35 Rem brass and dies..... (dang I just SOLD all that stuff last year.)

God Bless

nekshot
03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Indysteve, thats as nice for deer as they can get. I had a 95 action laying here for years waiting to turn it into a 35 but I just but a 7mm tube on it and it will stay on as long as I have the gun. Now to find another action!!! and wait for a 35 barrel.

Shiloh
03-22-2014, 11:03 AM
If you watch TV, it takes $1500 dollars worth of gear to bag a turkey.

Yep, Amazing isn't it. Some of the locals here still bag turkeys with the old Montgomery Wards 12ga. Just like great grampa used to do.

Shiloh

catboat
03-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Now to my question ,Why isnt anyone making a short light carbine like these anymore in 35 Rem.?

WHY? Probably 2 reasons: 1) not enough demand. #2), Costs more to make. The case head on a 35 Rem is not a "standard" case head diameter of a rimless centerfire rifle. The case head diameter of a 35 Rem is something smaller, in the area of .444". The "standard" non-magnum case head diameter of the .243/.308 Win/358 Win/300 Savage/30-06/270 Win is .473". It takes more machining (cost) to make a "35 Rem" diameter bolt face.

Low demand for a product, and higher manufacturing costs are not good issues for product success.

I just wish there were more options for a 358 Win chambering. It's almost criminal that Winchester doesn't make "classic" runs of their model 70 bolt in 358 Winchester. A 35 Rem bolt would be great, but I don't see it happening. Let's face it, how many Marlin 336's in 35 Rem do you see being shot (or made) these days? If the 35 Rem isn't showing up in Marlin's line up (a true classic pairing of the 336 and the 35 Rem like "peas and carrots"), it's not going to be showing up anywhere in production runs. The only place it might, I'm guessing, is from Ruger-but that would be a loooong shot.

The 35 Rem is a highly overlooked cartridge. It has the problem of getting the job done without recoil or pizzazz. That's old school, and not very marketable these days. Just look at all the marketing for the short mags. All pretty much DOA. Maybe Lipsey's could convince Winchester or Ruger to make 1000 of their bolt rifles into 35 Rem carbines. I bet they would sell out.

richhodg66
03-22-2014, 05:26 PM
My apologies for digging this thread up from the achieves.

HARDLY "factory" but probably the only bolt gun in 35 Rem I've seen in a LOT of years ......so I contacted a buddy......we hashed it over.....and it should arrive in another week or so.

I am curious to see how loads work out in it.

Small ring mauser, bolt, safety, trigger work supposedly done.
19 inch lightweight barrel
35 Rem
Butt plate, no stinking butt pad (I hate butt pads!!)

Trimmed to 1.8 its legal for deer here and while NOT great on the chamber/neck it wont get shot much that way. All workup loads can be shot full length then double check with the trimmed neck to make sure POI is the same but doubt more than 5 rounds a year get shot in it in the short form.......IF I have anything to say about it.

Just sharing........I might be back for ***********HELP*********** since I know diddly about Mauser actions except a **** load of guys like em. Not sure yet if its a 96 or......????. I CAN say I've always wanted to get my hands on a couple to see what the big hoo-rah was about them.

No more than we paid for it, it wont be a biggie doing some work if needed........as long as it IS correctable.

Pig in a Poke Purchase.......but I think it's COOL. Obviously built as a "lightweight" carry rifle. Should be a winner for the ranges intended. Indiana has a bunch of those ranges. :razz:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/Steve692/35Rem_zps4b7eb414.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/Steve692/media/35Rem_zps4b7eb414.jpg.html)

Taking donations in 35 Rem brass and dies..... (dang I just SOLD all that stuff last year.)

God Bless

That's a slick rifle! Wish it was mine.

wrench man
03-22-2014, 11:15 PM
The Remlin web sight currently shows the 336C as available in the 35 Remington chambering, there are plenty of good Marlins around if a guy really does want a rifle in 35 Remington!
I wouldn't trade my 336A 35 Remington for ANY bolt rifle!

IndySteve
03-24-2014, 06:49 AM
In total agreement on the lack of both the 35 Rem and even more so the 358 Win round.

The wildcat I made from a 350 Rem mag short duplicates the 358 Win and was the goal from the start. It's amazing in a deer round.

This one appears to be destined to be fully tested and loads worked up for to end up in the hands of my buddy's 15 year old grand son to help continue on our hunting heritage. While one I too would like to have kept, I can come up with other options. For a slender young man, this should be a real winner for decades to come.

Funds dictate not doing so for some time but while my wildcat is on a mag bolt face, another on a standard bolt face also keeps swirling in my noggin. A slightly short necked, (compared to the 350JR), shoulder set back, 284 Win (6.5x284 brass usable since cut off .375") necked to .358 would probably not show a noticeable change without chrony from the longer necked 350Jr I completed. Capacity shouldn't be much more than a couple grains difference. The deer won't notice either.

Several are shooting the 358 Win short (358 Hoosier) with good success ...but knowing me, following someone else's path simply takes half the fun out of it all......even if it works great. :-P

There is "talk" of IN going towards standard rounds allowed and while I'll have to see it to believe it, I certainly could be mistaken. That said, the wildcats will still be more fun and still be as effective.

Thanks for the replies
God Bless
Steve

One Gun Andy
12-12-2018, 09:52 AM
We've built several .35 Remington bolt guns on the fine M96 Swedish Mausers, and they've all shot very well with minimal alterations to the actions. As a matter of fact, we have one in the works now with a 20" barrel and Mannlicher-style stock...

FergusonTO35
12-12-2018, 10:46 AM
As far as I know, Savage will chamber a rifle in any SAAMI cartridge for a fee. That was posted on their website awhile back.

ajjohns
12-12-2018, 11:03 AM

I just did an 1895 Chilean this fall in 35 Rem. It works wonderful, light and handy. So far shoots good.

Three44s
12-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Also there are a number of barrel companies who make pre-fit barrels and/or customs to fit a Savage bolt gun. A few years ago I bought the tools for barrel swaps and received my edumucation over on the Savage Shooters forum. Been doing swaps ever since.

My latest was a Savage short action left hand I bought for $289, a stainless flat back in 243, swapped it to 6mm BR Norma. It shot fine but could not feed rounds from the magazine so I had to single feed it. I just swapped it to a stainless Axis barrel I bought off the net and now it is a 22-250 running one grain below max and putting three @100 yards into .230”.

Three44s

crankycalico
12-12-2018, 12:38 PM
factory ammo sucks, is that helpful? I had to clean up a cousins 141 in 35 rem. it was supposed to be sighted in for 100 yards, but at 30 yards it was hitting 18" off. and it wasn't penetrating the railroad tie any better then a 30-30

uscra112
12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
factory ammo sucks, is that helpful? I had to clean up a cousins 141 in 35 rem. it was supposed to be sighted in for 100 yards, but at 30 yards it was hitting 18" off. and it wasn't penetrating the railroad tie any better then a 30-30

In a word, no, it's not helpful.. The ammo isn't why your alleged cousin's alleged 141 wasn't shooting where you wanted it to.

As much as I am a fan of the .35 Rem., the ammo makers are probably not. It has an almost unique base diameter, which means more setup when doing a run of brass. It also requires a unique bolt face, which doesn't please the rifle manufacturers.

Long ago I stocked up on brass for my Dad's last deer rifle, a Marlin 336.

richhodg66
12-12-2018, 10:00 PM
I like the .35 Remington and have a late 1940s vintage Marlin and a Remington 141 in .35. I also have a Savage 99 Brush Gun in .358, which is a better rifle than either of the .35 Remingtons and easy to load to .35 Remington ballistics. That would be my guess why there aren't more bolt guns chambered in the .35 Remington, easier to get a .358.

I still love the .35 Remington though. Old school cool at its finest.

RED BEAR
12-12-2018, 10:07 PM
i have read several articles about why 35 calibers don't make it they just don't sell for what ever reason. all admit it seems like the perfect deer cartridge but people just wouldn't buy them.

samari46
12-13-2018, 12:59 AM
Remington at one time did a bolt action pistol in 35 Rem. Try and find one today and wait for sticker shock. Pretty sure they did one of the 600 or 660 bolt action rifles in this caliber as well. This is one caliber that I have dies, brass and factory ammo for but no firearm to shoot them in. Frank

dragon813gt
12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Let's face it, how many Marlin 336's in 35 Rem do you see being shot (or made) these days? If the 35 Rem isn't showing up in Marlin's line up (a true classic pairing of the 336 and the 35 Rem like "peas and carrots"), it's not going to be showing up anywhere in production runs.

I see a lot of them. But it’s still a popular cartridge in the North East. It hasn’t faded away because it flat out performs in the thick forests around here. I know it’s not popular in most of the country and the rifles are hard to find. But it’s hard to find a family that doesn’t have a 35 Remington 336 in the safe. Same goes for a Remington 760/7600 Gamemaster. Another regional favorite that doesn’t get any love outside this area.

Marlin is still producing the 336 in 35 Remington. The only one currently cataloged is the 336C. They don’t make as many variants as they used to.

ajjohns
12-13-2018, 11:10 AM
I wish someone would make another rifle in this gem of a round. Even if it was limited build. Anything to help get the brass and components back down to better prices and easier to find.

rockrat
12-13-2018, 11:30 AM
I don't think the 35 Rem xp-100 bolt face is any different from the 308 bolt face. IIRC, the head diameters are only 0.012" different, .460" vs .473". Always though when Remington brought out the 673 in 350mag, since they had 35 cal. barrels, they could have just used a 308 bf bolt and chambered some guns for 35 Rem.

northmn
12-13-2018, 11:37 AM
I have a Marlin 35R and it is a good rifle and takes deer well. As for paying anything extra to get one in a bolt action, I don't feel the cartridge itself is worth it. I like bolt actions and lever actions but each has its place. The Marlin is a light handy brush rifle. It works well for deer and black bear. Some used it on bigger stuff. Marlins carry well, maybe easier than a bolt.

Bolt actions are also great, but I prefer them for my stands overlooking fields and in situations where I may have a longer shot. Why a 35R in that configuration when any 308 based caliber is better and more common. If we were to give it serious thought, caliber is not all that important. There is nothing really magical about most calibers. I could find a less expensive alternative that would work as well in a bolt action in a more common caliber. Nothing wrong with the 35R but nothing magic either.

Hornady makes 35R brass for reloading which is available at MidwayUSA. The Hornady LE's work fine out of my Marlin.

DEP

rking22
12-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Simple answer, they don't think they will sell. They are probably right. There is the 358Win, great round and it dosen't sell either. Maybe if they renamed it 9mm Rhinoceros or 9x51Tatacal they would sell. Sadly neither the 35Rem or 358Win have the marketing appeal in todays climate.

8mm
12-13-2018, 08:21 PM
I have two Marlins in 35 Rem: a 336ADL, and a 336C. This summer I treated myself to a Traditions Outfitter G2 35 Rem single as a candidate for cast bullet loads. Guess you could say I like the 35 Rem as well as the other non magnum 35s. I have no real need for any of them inasmuch as I don't hunt anymore. I just like reloading and shooting them. They are relatively inexpensive to feed and if the deer hunting virus struck me again, I would not feel under gunned.

I don't think of myself as a visionary but even in the late 70's when I bought my first Marlin 35, I noticed that ammo and components were becoming less available. The compulsive hoarder in me kicked in and I scooped up every carton of once fired brass that I could find at local gun shops. Last winter one of the major suppliers of reloading components had a sale on 35 Rem brass (Jamison brand I think). I scooped up 150 rnds of that virgin brass for future use. So as far as feeding my 35's I am all set. 357 pistol bullets work just fine for casual shooting, but since this forum is cast bullet oriented, I cant think of a better hunting cast bullet for the 35 Rem than the RCBS 35-200 GC or the variations available.

The original topic here is the unavailability of 35 Rem bolt rifles and I would agree with some of the posters that there is still the 358 Winchester. Though never a wildly popular cartridge it is still available from Browning . As far as reloading components, a plentiful supply of 308 Win brass and RCBS 358 Win dies (tapered expanding button) and you have all the 358 Win brass you want. Starline now produces 358 brass.

So there are no new 35 Rem bolt rifles made but there are new alternatives available today.

Hickory
12-13-2018, 08:42 PM
A lot of people opt for bigger is better and chose a 7 mm magnum, 300 magnum or the 375 magnum to kill a punny little deer. When a 30-30 or 35 Remington is the right medicine!

richhodg66
12-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Doesn't CVA make their break open single shots in .35 Remington?

Texas by God
12-13-2018, 11:12 PM
If I didn't have a 30-30 and a 38-55 lever action, I'd have a .35 Rem lever action. If I didn't have a Mauser bolt action 30-30, I'd have a Mauser bolt action.35 Rem. It is one of the best and it just may be a JMB design.....

Earlwb
12-14-2018, 12:52 AM
I still have my old ancient Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem caliber. I used to use it for pig hunting a lot and bear hunting years ago too. But I think that there are more current calibers that work as well if not better nowadays. So the manufacturers have little incentive to make more rifles for it or even ammunition much anymore. Not many LGSs or even the big box stores stock the ammo for it now. Wal Mart maybe 20 years ago had a clearance sale on .35 Rem ammo, I bought all of the boxes they had at the time. I think I remember seeing some ammo at Cabelas out here a while back, but I haven't looked recently though. I think it is still a good short range brush gun cartridge though. Like someone said already, it is still fairly popular in the North East.

northmn
12-14-2018, 09:06 AM
I can buy ammo at the local Fleet hardware store. Only had trouble one year buying ammo and at that time you could not even order it from outfits like Midway. Hornady started loading for it and its as good of ammo as any. I think a Marlin 336 using Hornady ammo kind of trumps a bolt action 35R anyway and I saw a new built one on the shelves a while back. Those that had bolt action 35's were loading them with spitzers and heavier bullets and souping them up a bit over the levers. However, the spitzer bullets in a 35 may have not performed as well as desired. I see some load spitzer bullets for the 30-30 and only load 2 or in bolt actions, but I question that as those bullets are made for faster cartridges.

My daughter uses a 300 Savage I fixed up for her and I am not sure that the spitzer bullets for that work as well as they could. I see Hornady is making 300 Savage spitzers and may get her some of them. I loaded 30-30 bullets in the Savage for her at slightly reduced speeds but hotter than a 30-30 and they were very effective. That might be an issue with a bolt action 35. One is best off using bullets engineered for a 35R and as such there is no real gain in using one. What would one do that a lightweight 308 would not do except cost more to shoot?

I like the Marlin 35R and they are pretty accurate.

DEP

dragon813gt
12-14-2018, 09:12 AM
The only time there’s no ammo for it on the shelves is a few weeks around hunting season. Even then you just have to got to another store to find it. It’s certainly a regional cartridge. There’s no shortage of 300 Savage either as it’s another popular cartridge. Not to the extent of the newer cartridges but as the parent of the 308 it has a deserving place in anyone’s safe. Especially if it’s a Savage 99 [emoji2]

RU shooter
12-14-2018, 09:27 PM
I don't think the 35 Rem xp-100 bolt face is any different from the 308 bolt face. IIRC, the head diameters are only 0.012" different, .460" vs .473". Always though when Remington brought out the 673 in 350mag, since they had 35 cal. barrels, they could have just used a 308 bf bolt and chambered some guns for 35 Rem.
Your correct rockrat , on my model 600 the bolt face will accept and hold a 308 (.473) dia case rim without issue

Texas by God
12-14-2018, 10:32 PM
A .35 Remington model 788 would have been fun. So would a .358!

RU shooter
12-15-2018, 09:01 AM
As I said 6 years ago when I started this thread it I ever find a donor model 7 action cheap it will become a 35 Rem with a 20-22" barrel

Texas by God
12-15-2018, 11:13 AM
As you know by now, cheap model 7 actions(or rifles) are Unicornish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

quilbilly
12-15-2018, 01:54 PM
i don't know why they stopped making them, i've alway's liked the look's of the Rem 600, the one with the rib barrel, i'd love to have one in 35 rem.
You and I are in a particularly small minority. I bought my 600 in 1965 and I still think its looks are the "cats meow" with that rib barrel. Mine is in 6mm.

RU shooter
12-15-2018, 07:53 PM
As you know by now, cheap model 7 actions(or rifles) are Unicornish.

Yes indeed they are I had two of them in the past but we parted ways one was a 7-08 and the other a stainless 308 .
Might be cheaper to find a 600/660 Mohawk in 308 and have it rebored to 358 or even the 6mm bored out to 35 to make a 9x57 in a round about way

crankycalico
12-15-2018, 08:01 PM
PERHAPS as someone once said to me,,,,, IF the bolt head can use both calibers, and the cartridge can fit inside the action,,, a really low cost savage axis can be turned into something useful now and then with a new barrel.

The .358 Win does seem to be a rather interesting cartridge. Just how well does it work with 148 grain wadcutters?

wrench man
12-16-2018, 06:07 PM
One of the guys at work picked up a Remington XP100 in 35 Remington last week, says it's a hand full with LeveRevolution!?, I've got some Hornady 180grn SSP bullets I said he could have for it.

Texas by God
12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
I'd love an XP100 in .35 Rem. Mild to Wild. Actually I'd take one in any caliber[emoji846]

uscra112
12-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Occurs to me that the skimpy shoulder of the .35 Rem may discourage some riflemakers.

Earlwb
12-16-2018, 10:28 PM
I had wanted a XP-100 too. But I never got around to it for various reasons over the years.

shaman
12-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Over about a 10 year period, my Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen accounted for a bunch of deer, at least 1 per season.

I finally started asking myself: Why was I using this rifle? It was way more than I needed for whitetail. Rounds were twice the cost of a 30-06, and the recoil was significant.

After leaving on the rack for a couple of seasons, I got the itch to do something with it. I ended up using an RCBS 200 grain powdercoated lead bullet over H4895. I started getting really accurate results as I passed 35 Remington velocities, so I just left it there.

uscra112
12-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Another round with a skimpy shoulder, notorious for headspace problems, but when it's right it's right.

fatnhappy
12-19-2018, 10:13 PM
the biggest problem with the .35 Remington is that a .358 Winchester fits in the same size action. Given the ready availability of .308 brass vs the dearth of .35 brass, why anyone would bother with the Remington in a short bolt action is something only a true rifle loony would debate.

Mind you I'll never part with my .35 Remington and a huge contingent of my cousins in St. Lawrence county would never surrender their .35 remingtons for any other cartridge either.

For awhile the remington custom shop listed their nifty little mannlicher stocked model 7 in .35 remington. I wish I had 1/2 dozen of them.

uscra112
12-19-2018, 10:26 PM
That nails it. Not a single bolter made today that's not capable of handling .358 pressures. So why build for the tiny niche market that wants the .35 Rem?

The Remmy still has a place, albeit small, in single shots and levers which can't use the .358, but that's about all.

Uncle Grinch
12-20-2018, 09:26 AM
That nails it. Not a single bolter made today that's not capable of handling .358 pressures. So why build for the tiny niche market that wants the .35 Rem?........

Why? Because some of us really like the 35 Rem, enough to build our own. Mine is based on a SR Mauser, which a 358 Win is pushing it’s limits. Many of our “less popular”.... 280 Rem, 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, 222 Rem, 30-40 Krag and many more are facing extinction due to manufacturers limiting production. It’s up to us to keep them going.

RU shooter
12-20-2018, 09:45 AM
All good points I agree , yeah 358 can easily be made from 308 BUT when was the last time you saw a box of factory 358 ammo on a store shelf ? I bet for me it's been 20 years minimum 35 Rem not a problem at all in most of the eastern side of the country anyways .not all shooters and hunter are reloaders or what to deal with forming X out of Y , Yeah it's shoulder dia is not too big either BUT all those model 8, 14,141 336's and the few bolt actions never had any problems dealing with it ? Like someone already said it don't shoot a pointy streamlined bullet at warp factor 3 and have that 500 yds point blank range that everyone these days seen to want to shoot a little deer at 75 -100 yds .

uscra112
12-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Why? Because some of us really like the 35 Rem, enough to build our own. Mine is based on a SR Mauser, which a 358 Win is pushing it’s limits. Many of our “less popular”.... 280 Rem, 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, 222 Rem, 30-40 Krag and many more are facing extinction due to manufacturers limiting production. It’s up to us to keep them going.

Not enough of us, obviously, or sales would be driving the mfgrs. to produce more. :-( Nothing resists the tide of economics.

Drm50
12-20-2018, 08:29 PM
I never had a 35Rem BA but had two 350Mgs, both bought used at LGS shortly after they were sold.
I never shot them that much, I bought them for canoe guns. I remember same dealer had a 35R 600
that gathered dust for a long time before he sold it. The 35R is one of my favorite woods guns. My
favorite is a Rem 141. My first deer rifle was a Rem 8/35R when I was a kid. I also have a Rem 14.
I just sold a Marlin JM and a Rem 14. I have shot a truck load of deer with the 141, it is a more natural pointer for me than the #8. One thing I found with the Rem 14,141,8 & 81 is they all like RN
bullets. So the 14 & 141 twisted magazine was a feature I didn't use.

high standard 40
12-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Occurs to me that the skimpy shoulder of the .35 Rem may discourage some riflemakers.

The 300 Blackout has a skimpy shoulder and it is available in many rifles.

EDG
12-21-2018, 02:24 AM
For 40 years I hunted with scoped high velocity rifles.
A few years back I bumped into a like new Rem 141 made in 1946. So I bought it an when deer season came I took it hunting. The place I hunted was partly wooded and partly open with several hills that I could climb and glass from. Concerned that I might miss a long shot at a nice buck I solved the long range short vs range dilemma by carrying 2 rifles. One scoped 25-06 and the old 141 in .35 Rem. I didn't think my eyes would be good for more than 100 yards with the iron sights and I could never locate a Lyman tang sight for it. Anyway deer are unlucky and that day I got a good look at a very nice 10 pointer at about 80 yards. The old 35 hit him at about a 45 degree angle in the back of the rib cage and it exited his right front chest. Out of sight he ran. Thinking I had a tracking job to do I walked past the cedar where he was last seen and he was dead about 15 feet away. Total distance covered - about 30 feet. Almost no meat was damaged.

Tripplebeards
12-21-2018, 11:05 AM
I'm down to a 100th anniversary 336 and limited run 2006' 7600 carbine in 35 rem. I also bought a 2018' limited run 7600 35 whelen carbine this year. Wish I had a model 600 in it. I'll settle for the 243 chambering I own. It makes a good walking coyote zapper. My buddy just picked up a 600 in 243 for $300 out of a shop out west. He already has one in 308 and knows how awesome they are so there's no way I'm getting it out of his hands to rebarrel it to 35 rem.

randyrat
12-23-2018, 10:03 AM
If your looking for 35 Rem bullets, they mainly make them available late summer for the November White tail season, limited amount. That was my experience. There are still a few tactical hold outs that use 35 Rem lever guns around here.

uscra112
12-23-2018, 03:17 PM
If your looking for 35 Rem bullets, they mainly make them available late summer for the November White tail season, limited amount. That was my experience. There are still a few tactical hold outs that use 35 Rem lever guns around here.

If I did, (and I don't at the moment), out would come the lead pot and the Lyman 358315 mould. The .35 Rem is just right for a 210 grain casting of 50-50 wheelweights and pure lead. Properly gas checked, sized and lubed, it's good for 2000 fps over a slightly compressed load of 3031, and as accurate as any j-word.

RU shooter
12-24-2018, 01:22 PM
If I did, (and I don't at the moment), out would come the lead pot and the Lyman 358315 mould. The .35 Rem is just right for a 210 grain casting of 50-50 wheelweights and pure lead. Properly gas checked, sized and lubed, it's good for 2000 fps over a slightly compressed load of 3031, and as accurate as any j-word.
I've tried and tried again with that bullet in mine and could never get good results past about 16-1700 fps with that undersized nose it has , my mould drops them around .347-.348 on the base of the nose . For plinkers they work great in the 1200 or so fps range .

uscra112
12-24-2018, 02:16 PM
I've tried and tried again with that bullet in mine and could never get good results past about 16-1700 fps with that undersized nose it has , my mould drops them around .347-.348 on the base of the nose . For plinkers they work great in the 1200 or so fps range .

I have never thought to check that diameter before, but mine drop at ~ .350 there. (Note that the bullets I'm measuring were cast several years ago.) It was my Dad's mould, from when the rifle was his. Now I have to wonder if maybe he or some previous owner lapped it out? Hmmmm.....

BTW I used a .360 die in my lubrisizer; barely sizes the base part at all.

Are you casting softer? Nose slump maybe? (I do, to be wholly truthful, add 2% tin to that mix.)

uscra112
12-24-2018, 02:34 PM
I lied. My notes say I was getting ~1900 fps., not 2000.

RU shooter
12-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Tried my soft 50/50 alloy ac and quenched also straight WW with some pewter both ac and quenched still no joy gotta be that unsupported nose on it me thinks , I did experiment a few yrs ago and bumped (squished) the nose till it was .350 and they shot a lot better even killed a doe with one that year . Maybe they were designed with that small nose for good feeding /chambering in the semi model 8 and 81 ?

uscra112
12-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Probably so. The Lyman handbook describes it as being for the .35 Remington, and the 8 and 81 were back then the primary rifles that used it. They weren't Microgrooved, of course. The taller and wider lands would have supported the nose better. I've had a .357 Maximum Contender for some years now. That has Ballard rifling, but only 12" of barrel. Frankly, I hate the gun, so haven't tried this bullet in it.

Buckshot
12-25-2018, 01:38 AM
...............I built a 35 Rem on a 1894 (FN made) Brazilian contract SR Mauser action many years ago..................

http://www.fototime.com/89E2F2C1A9E4DC7/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/8A4CCD7559D0176/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AEC40C4BAA66E93/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/DA9985F72A3A411/standard.jpg

IIRC I 'think' that was a Ramline plastic stock that was on sale for $39 (don't remember who) but I do remember it was $39 :-) Stuck a Remington 700 front sight base on it. No mods required to the extractor, ejector, or bolt face. It fed without a problem.

http://www.fototime.com/74A2D8886BDF7D4/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/347AB486CF7FA9E/standard.jpg

4 loads with 35 Rem using Rem 200 gr C-L jacketed ..............................3 light loads in the 35 Rem. Info shown on targets. All groups fired at 50 yards.
I'm at my Dad's in Pima, AZ and don't have access to my load data for further load info. The above is off my Fototime page. A fantastic cast slug for the 35 Rem is the Saeco #356. It's a 200 gr FNGC, and works a treat in the 35 Rem (Or a Ruger 357 Mag for that matter!

I had the rifle built during the time we lived on 20 acres in the boonies. Those 38 cal cast slugs were great fun and instant death on ground squirrels, and pretty quiet out of the 20" bbl. I still have the rifle, but it's been ages since I've shot it.

................Buckshot

RU shooter
12-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Thanks for posting buckshot, I remember seeing your posts on that rifle a few years back always liked it , 2300+fps ain't too shabby with a 200 gr jacketed bullet in a 20" barrel �� 41 gr is about the limit of case capacity even with ball powder

crankycalico
12-25-2018, 08:51 PM
Don't forget the bullet companies aren't making new bullets for it. Hornady yes, but how many others have released a new bullet in this caliber in the last 20 years?

RU shooter
12-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Cuz they got it right from the very beginning the ole 200 gr RN ! Lol been killin stuff dead since 1908 .

Texas by God
12-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Cuz they got it right from the very beginning the ole 200 gr RN ! Lol been killin stuff dead since 1908 .
And if it would fit in an AR15 mag it would inspire awe!
Really I think it still outsells a lot of modern cartridges.

Tripplebeards
12-26-2018, 06:46 PM
A 35 solcom would bring 35 cal bullets back from the dead. Probably be as fast as a hot 35 rem pushing 2350/2400 fps.

RU shooter
12-26-2018, 07:03 PM
And if it would fit in an AR15 mag it would inspire awe.
I think the 35 Grendel is about as close as it's gonna get

uscra112
12-26-2018, 08:43 PM

Including, if the legends are to be believed, Bonnie and Clyde.

6.5 CM
12-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Nope that was a 30 Remington.

What are there none ? Probably because there are the 358 Win and 35 Whelen of one want a 35 caliber bolt gun which leads to another question ---- why them when there are the 9.3x57/62/64/370 SAKO all of which fill the need for a medium bore ?

Brownells does sell a short chambered Mauser bbl in 35 Rem, that would be an easy build.

Texas by God
12-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Actually Frank Hamer and company went to the LGS as soon as they heard they had a shipment of M8 Remingtons. Frank bought a .25 Rem that day and that MAY be what he used for the ambush. It is known that afterward he was given an engraved .35 Rem as a gift from his men.
The fact of the matter is that the average Joe Hunter won't buy a bigger than 30 caliber bolt action rifle. That's why the .338 Federal failed.

uscra112
12-27-2018, 11:58 AM
WW1 made the .30-06 and the Springfield '03 the paradigm for bolt actions in America for fifty years. If you recognize the .308 as just a .30-06 with the unnecessary airspace removed, it still is the paradigm. Millions of hunters over the decades haven't been able to think beyond the confines of that box.

crankycalico
12-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Actually Frank Hamer and company went to the LGS as soon as they heard they had a shipment of M8 Remingtons. Frank bought a .25 Rem that day and that MAY be what he used for the ambush. It is known that afterward he was given an engraved .35 Rem as a gift from his men.
The fact of the matter is that the average Joe Hunter won't buy a bigger than 30 caliber bolt action rifle. That's why the .338 Federal failed.

338 federal had more recoil then most wanted, .300 win has more recoil then people want. Hence the "rifle, used, .300 win 18 rounds of ammunition" is a popular joke.

The trend is for lighter and lighter rifles, kind of hurts the shooter a lot. Sure the gun writers claim that say perhaps a mauser or garand are too big and heavy and bulky to carry out hunting, but when these same writers start using rifles that weigh 6-6.5 pounds WITH A SCOPE, with full power 150 grain + 30-06,

they start tossing on shoulder pads, recoil pads, muzzle brakes to help tame that recoil.

fatnhappy
12-27-2018, 05:50 PM
funny the .338 federal got a mention here. when i bought a kimber montana 2 years ago my first choice would have been the .338 federal and a 2nd choice would have been the .358 winchester.

sadly kimber chambers neither anymore. so i got a .308

truth be told, the main reason i want the larger calibers is how well they play with CBs.

i'm sitting on a small ring action. i'm putzing around with a 7mm mauser right now. my savage 99 featherweight needs a new magazine spring.

eventually i'll get around to making a 20" barreled little scout rifle out of it. ive thought about the .35 remington but in actuality a 9.3 x 57 wouldn't require any magazine mods and be a hell of a little thumper

HangFireW8
12-27-2018, 06:55 PM
If someone made an affordable 35 Rem AR platform it would zoom in popularity and gun writers would be falling over themselves to boast about the ballistic advantages.

Then cans would be made for 35.

Then guys would demand bolt action 35's they could use the cans on both guns.

6.5 CM
12-27-2018, 09:15 PM
A 338 Fed AR platform is made and the performance is by any measure superior to a 35 Rem. 35 Rem is a nice old cartridge and fine with cast like the 32-40 and others of that ilk. I like my 375 win, aka 38-55 for cast too.

GooseGestapo
12-28-2018, 12:22 AM
CrankyCalico;
If you’re hunting railroad ties, that’s fine; use a .30/30.
But, for shooting deer or black bear, the .35 is head and shoulders better.

Good Cheer
12-28-2018, 08:54 AM
I love the .35 Remington. But I'd love to have a .350 Remington, especially for black powder.

uscra112
12-28-2018, 10:06 AM
If someone made an affordable 35 Rem AR platform it would zoom in popularity and gun writers would be falling over themselves to boast about the ballistic advantages.

LOL! You certainly got that right !

6.5 CM
12-28-2018, 10:51 AM
You can get an AR 10 in 358 win and there are plenty of cans available that will work with it.

The hole in the can does not have to be 35 cal, witness the GEMTECH ONE which works with everything up to 300 winmag. A 458 SOCOM can would work fine with the 35 Rem. So buy your mauser, get a Brownells bbl in 35 Rem, get it threaded, put on the can and report back.

You can always load a 358 down, change the buffer and get an adjustable gas port if you want 35 rem performance.

You can't load a 35 Rem up !

RU shooter
12-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Yes in deed , actually it does fit in a standard 2.26" length AR15 mag but one would only be able to load very short nosed bullets . And I bet someone would stick a new name on it like the "35 AR" and load it up to 55k psi

ulav8r
12-28-2018, 08:09 PM
Snip. ive thought about the .35 remington but in actuality a 9.3 x 57 wouldn't require any magazine mods and be a hell of a little thumper

A .358 x 57 or .358 x 60 would also have a thump and would use easier to find 35 caliber bullets. Larry Gibson has explained how to create .358 x 57 dies from 35 Whelen dies and reamers. The 60 is just a slightly longer version.

6.5 CM
12-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Trying to figure out why anyone would prefer a 35x57 over a 8/9/9.3x57.

BTW, none of these fit in an AR15, nor would a 35 Rem except loaded with handgun bullets.

A 450 SOCOM does fit in an AR 15 and has just a bit more stooch than a 35 Rem.

A 35 Rem commercially produced AR will never happen as it does nothing that is not already covered.

Dinny
12-28-2018, 09:32 PM
I have a Frankengun. It's a Rem M7 that I removed the .308 barrel and installed a .223 barrel. JES rebored and rechambered it to 35 Rem. It is accurate and fast handling. Easily one of my most favorite rifles.

Thanks, Dinny

6.5 CM
12-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Wuda been so much better has JES made the 308 into a 358.

McFred
12-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Better how? What will a .358Win do that a .35Rem will not in a strong bolt-gun, another 100fps?

A while back an original Rem M600 in .35Rem came up for sale locally. The guy wanted ~$1000 for it even with the bowed plastic trigger guard/floor plate. I wanted it but for that price I could have got a reamer and a barrel and made my own for less or send out an old Rem700 to JES for a rebore to .358Win.

In fact I already have my own .358Win reamer and I can get a 1:12 twist .358 No. 4 Wilson blank for $160. I should look for an old 700 or Seven to rebarrel for grins.

Dinny
12-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Wuda been so much better has JES made the 308 into a 358.

Choose the right tool for the job. I already have a 358 Win Model 70. It's alot heavier and longer. The Model 7 handles much better.

Thanks, Dinny

6.5 CM
12-29-2018, 12:46 AM
The M7 in 358 would handle just as well as one in 35 Rem.

Texas by God
12-29-2018, 12:54 AM
Thanks Dinny for un-drifting this thread. Most .358 Win shooters are handloaders and load to .35 Rem level anyway. I worked up a long range elk load but left those in the locker and used the RCBS 35-200RF @ 2100 fps in my .358 Jes m700. Your m7 .35 Rem will kill anything and carry easy doing it.

6.5 CM
12-29-2018, 12:56 AM
"Better how? What will a .358Win do that a .35Rem will not in a strong bolt-gun, another 100fps?"

Ballistics 101.

A 358 will shoot a 250 gr bullet faster than a 35 Rem will a 200 and will shoot a 200 400fps faster.

You can always load it down. Then there's ammo and brass availability. Who is chambering for the 35 rem today ?
Remlin and TC (?). What can you make it from ? Once there were the 25/30/30 & 35 Rem. Now we have the 243/260/7mm08/308/338/358. Who will be the last man standing ?

BTW I have an 8 in 25 Rem but would never want to rebarrel my 722 Roberts into that. Be like swapping out a your Hellcat Hemi for a flathead.

McFred
12-29-2018, 03:37 AM
So, what's your 250gr 358Win doing that a 200gr 35rem isn't again? If a 243Win or a 30-30 is good enough for elk, how's the 358Win's extra energy going to be put to use when it just falls out the other side? If you're going to quote flat trajectories and terminal energy then you might as well start with the 338Lapua and 250s and abandon the 35cal all together.

6.5 CM
12-29-2018, 10:11 AM
The 338 Lapua is a full auto cartridge and inferior to the 338 RUM for bolt/single shot rifles. Either works best with a 300 gr bullet.

If you don't understand that a 358 with a 250 gr hits harder than a 35 R with a 200 you best stay away from animals that bite back.

A 243/30-30 is NOT an Elk cartridge for 99.9% of hunters. Have you ever killed an Elk with either ? With anything ?

Texas by God
12-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Full auto .338 Lapua? That's dumb.

McFred
12-29-2018, 12:47 PM
.338 LM is not "full auto." A 10 second web search will attest to that.

I understand that a more massive projectile going faster has more energy, but there's "good enough" and the 110 year old .35 Remington is good enough for anything in the western hemisphere. Yes, there are many cartridges to choose from, but perfect is the enemy of good. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good).

I do not accept your statistics on what cartridge(s) 99.9% of hunters don't use. Where I live, 24 caliber-and-up centerfire rifle or pistol is legal for elk, as such it's legal to pursue elk with a .25 Auto pistol (not that I would). That said, there are and have been plenty of people using 30-30 and less on elk. FWIW, on my last elk hunt I used my 7mm magnum. I would have happily used my .35 Rem Model 81 were it accurate enough for the task, which unfortunately it isn't.

May I ask what cartridge you used on your last elk hunt, 6.5CM?

fatnhappy
12-29-2018, 05:06 PM
A .358 x 57 or .358 x 60 would also have a thump and would use easier to find 35 caliber bullets. Larry Gibson has explained how to create .358 x 57 dies from 35 Whelen dies and reamers. The 60 is just a slightly longer version.
Bullets? not my intent with such a rifle.
I'd thought about it and the bullets don't offer any real advantage over sticking a 9.3 in the same package. The biggest advantage though might be the ready availability of .35 gas checks.
Neither the 9.3 nor the .35 x 57 is overly practical. They'd both be niche cartridges. On the flip side though, I acquired a 270 grain 9.3 mountain mould years ago. I'm just in need of a rifle to put under that package.

If I hang a .35 barrel in the action it'll likely be a .35 rem rather than a .358 win or a wildcat. I already have dies, a fair stockpile of .35 rem brass and 3 or 4 moulds.

uscra112
12-29-2018, 06:41 PM
You can always load it down. Then there's ammo and brass availability. Who is chambering for the 35 rem today ?
Remlin and TC (?). What can you make it from ? Once there were the 25/30/30 & 35 Rem. Now we have the 243/260/7mm08/308/338/358. Who will be the last man standing ?

There is the crux of the issue from a commercial standpoint. The .35 Rem has an almost unique base diameter, so the ammo makers have to have a whole set of tooling to produce just that one result. As opposed to the .470 base diameter which is the basis for more than a dozen, ranging from .22-250 to .35 Whelan.

BTW the .25 and .30 Remingtons were rimless copies of the .25-35 and the .30-30, both .422 base diameter, so even at the beginning the .35 Rem with its' .457 base was destined to be an orphan. The only other case I can find in the pantheon today with that diameter is the .30-40 Krag, and it's rimmed.

ulav8r
12-29-2018, 07:04 PM
Since you have a 9.3 mold, it makes sense for you to go 9.3 x. For others a .358 barrel will give a wider selction of bullets, molds, and gas checks. A 57 to 60mm case length will work well in a non-modified Mauser 98 action. A full length action would be best used as a 35 Whelen, standard or modified.

6.5 CM
12-29-2018, 08:00 PM
guess Google failed you:

"The precursor of the .338 Lapua Magnum was designed primarily for long-range military tactical shooting. A secondary design consideration was a cartridge that could be used in a General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG). "

That's why is has body taper not present in the 338 RUM.

To suggest the 35 Rem is appropriate for anything that walks the Western Hemi is just silly. It is low powered, has a rainbow trajectory and poor bullet choices. Anyone who actually hunts game beyond Whitetails would never pick it as in the top 10 choices.

But what the heck, debating this is pointless as facts don't matter. The next time you find a real big game outfitter who suggests you bring your 336 35 Rem to the Western high country or Alaska rather than a 30-06, post his name here.

Time to move on.

uscra112
12-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Yes, please move on. This is a .35 Rem thread.

6.5 CM
12-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Hmmm --- appears the facts have caught up with the dream.

Dinny
03-25-2021, 05:40 PM
I have a "new" 35 Rem bolt action rifle. Wayne York turned my Winchester Model 70 FW into a 35 Remington. He replaced the 243 barrel with a 223 FW barrel that was rebored and rechambered. He also installed a Sako extractor into the PF bolt and changed out the follower and magazine spring. It looks, feeds, and shoot well.

Last weekend I shot the NOE 360-183 FN and 181 HP with 10 and 11gr of Red Dot. Average velocity was just over 1500fps and the 15 shot group was just under 2" at 50yds. CW cast and PC'd those bullets for me. [smilie=w:

Thanks, Dinny

Buckshot
03-26-2021, 01:02 AM
..............I built a 35 Rem using a small ring Mauser action. Very nice rifle. I wish I could post a photo of it but FotoTime is apparently offline, but I hope not forever as I have quite a few valuable pics (at least to me) on the site.

..............Buckshot

eastbank
03-26-2021, 09:31 AM
while most rifles chambered in 35 rem are pump-lever action-semi auto, factory ammo is loaded on the light side for them. a good bolt action would be able to handle higher pressure, how much of a increase in speed i don,t know. but with my 722 rem in 300 savage i can beat factory speeds pretty easy, 150 gr nosler bt at 2800+ fps(i will not shoot that load in a 99 savage) and thats right on the tail of a .308.

Daekar
03-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Going to play Devil's Advocate a little bit here: What can the 35 Remington do that the 358, 35 Whelen, or 8mm Mauser (or others like 8mm-06, 8mm-08, whatever...) can't do?

Ajohns
03-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Going to play Devil's Advocate a little bit here: What can the 35 Remington do that the 358, 35 Whelen, or 8mm Mauser (or others like 8mm-06, 8mm-08, whatever...) can't do?

Nothing. But, it can make for a dandy little rifle. Smaller rounds, less powder, and enough power for anything most need. Why are there so many of the new whizbang rounds today? a lot can't do what the oldies did already.

uscra112
03-26-2021, 11:49 AM
All those need a fairly long action. The .35 Rem shines in actions that are short, light, and quick-handling, and is all the power anyone needs in the eastern deer woods where shots rarely go beyond 100 yards or so. The best fit for the .35 Rem is the Marlin 336 carbine. Hard to find a bolt action that is as light and handy.

Ajohns
03-26-2021, 12:56 PM
A shorter barreled small ring Mauser does that task quite well

Drm50
03-26-2021, 02:05 PM
I’m a firm believer in the 35 Rem. I started deer hunting at 12 with a Rem 8/35 cal. It wasn’t the slickest handling rifle for a 12year old. In those days they planted me on a stump and wasn’t allowed to run around the woods. Killed my first deer that year with it. My favorite 35 has become a Rem 141 over the years. Until recently I had five 35cal rifles, including a Marlin 336. I just sold the Marlin and had in cheap soft case in cardboard box to ship. Was surprised that it weighed just a bit over 8lbs. I’ve always preferred the Marlin over Win 94 for scope mounting.

1hole
04-03-2021, 01:51 PM
First, for whitetail deer and black bear shot inside 150-200 yards, no better cartridge than the .35 Rem has ever been made. Dead is dead and nothing kills them any deader. I doubt that more than two-three percent of legal big game east of the Mississippi are even seen further away.

Second thing, it's low impact velocity means MUCH less meat is shredded. In fact, as ol' Elmer used to say, "I can eat the bullet hole" and I've learned to like that.

Thus, my excellent .243, .308, .30-06 and 7 mm Rem Mag rifles have mostly set in the gun safe for the last 30 years simply because dead is dead and I like eating bullet holes.

IMHO, it would be a sin to build a bolt rifle in .35 R. If that's what God wanted for deep woods hunters he wouldn't have made so many superb 336 Marlins and 2x or 3x 25mm 'scopes.

Drm50
04-03-2021, 08:41 PM
The 35 is probably my favorite in the woods deer gun. I would be hesitant to go to the trouble to have a BA built for it. I’d go 358 or 35Whelen. I had a 600 in 350mg. I got it used a week old with 1/2 box ammo. This is no joke it resides on the bottom of river above Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario.
Might be in James Bay by now. The following year I picked up another. I though they made excellent rifles for beaters where you didn’t want to risk a good rifle. That one resides in Canada too. My old man gave it to a friend of ours up there. I always wanted to pick up another 350 and have it rebarreled to 458 American. Would have be economical build. I know a guy that has a 660
Barreled to 45 Win Mag. He is still working on feed system.

uscra112
04-03-2021, 09:22 PM
IMHO, it would be a sin to build a bolt rifle in .35 R. If that's what God wanted for deep woods hunters he wouldn't have made so many superb 336 Marlins and 2x or 3x 25mm 'scopes.

Dittos, IMHO.

Even in a 336 carbine, the recoil of the .35 Rem is almost trivial compared to those big .35s. Nobody ever developed a flinch shooting the .35 Remington.

Only thing "wrong" with the Remmy is the short neck. Limits your choice of cast bullets. But then, the 358315 sized .360 for the Microgroove is all you could ever want for deer, black bear, or pigs, and any old .35 caliber SWC works for lesser critters or plinking, so who cares?

Texas by God
04-03-2021, 11:16 PM
I would happily hunt deer anywhere with a .35 Remington bolt action rifle. Especially a light short barreled one like a Remington model 600 or model 7. A small ring Mauser would be nice, too. Even though it came before them, I usually lump the .35 Rem in with the .250 and .300 Savage cartridges- just the right amount of power and polite to shoot.

M-Tecs
04-04-2021, 12:06 AM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/10/23/america-s-rejected-caliber?fbclid=IwAR1Y_ebpcZEv9hSBwPJO-yP8xG1JhFLPZIaPkr3pkfG8PLlP6BvbucZEFeI

444ttd
04-04-2021, 12:20 PM
i have a win m94 that was sent to JES Reboring and he got a 35/30-30. its almost as good as the 35 rem but it really shines on heavier cast boolits(250-280gr). although i don't use heavy cast boolits, i find that rcbs 200gr fn gc is so good, that i'm afraid to try the heavies!!!

i have a carcano that will be rebarreled to either a 7.62x39 or the 35 rem.

sighting the m94 in at 100 yards

https://i.imgur.com/nBFtFB6.jpg