PDA

View Full Version : Pure Lead, Gas Checks & Leading

Old Ironsights
05-29-2007, 10:37 AM
When using a GC boolit on pure pb with a decent lube, what is the fastest one can expect to push it without leading in a Rossi .357 barrel?

Without a GC it's somthing like 1200fps right?

Bullshop
05-29-2007, 11:00 AM
IMHO with a good lube leading is not the deceiding issue but accuracy is. Long before leading becomes an issue accuracy will be lost. When pressure exceeds the shear strength of the boolit metal weather pure or alloy accuracy will be lost. This will happen before leading occures all else being correct. The actual obtainable velocity with pure lead and good accuracy will also be dependend on the individual barrel and its conditions such as smoothness and depth of grooves, width of grooves, # of grooves and such.
Some of the fellas shooting conicles and pure lead in ML seem to feel that 1400 fps or there abouts is about the limit with a plain base. I remember the first 44 mag ammo from Rem. with the swaged SWC gas check and as I recall at a claimed 1500 fps. They were awful and leaded terribly. I think a big part of the problem there was lack of lube on the swaged bullet.
BIC/BS

Old Ironsights
05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks.

Would it make sense to comeup with a general BHN/velocity chart thatwould show those "average velocity ranges" for shear?

I know it will vary by twist, but it might be a good resource...

dubber123
05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Lube quantity, and possibly to a lesser extent quality seems to make a difference. I base this on my 21" barreled .54 BP carbine. I shoot a plain base, albeit with a Wonder Wad under it, (450 grain, pure lead plains bullet), to nearly 1,450 fps. with no leading that I can see at all. I clean up with straight water, and 2 patches and it's done. If it was leading, I should have seen a buildup by now, approx 200+ shots with no loss of accuracy between outings. The large quantity of lube is all I can see to explain the lack of leading.

Bullshop
05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks.

Would it make sense to comeup with a general BHN/velocity chart thatwould show those "average velocity ranges" for shear?

I know it will vary by twist, but it might be a good resource...
I think that may have already been done here a while back.
I remember some discussion on that subject.
BIC/BS

drinks
05-29-2007, 10:39 PM
OIS;
Buy the Lee second edition reloading manual, read it at least 3 times and most of your questions will be answered .

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2007, 05:01 AM
its not really fair to compare leading in a black powder gun with a smokeless. It takes alot more to make a black powder gun lead up. Black powder explodes it doesnt burn and its easier on a cast bullet. What bullshop said is about the facts. Your going to run out of accuracy first and in my experience its going to be somewhere around a 1000 fps.