PDA

View Full Version : Pickling spice recipe?

DHurtig
10-02-2012, 04:07 PM
All this talk of pickled eggs and sausage has got my mouth watering. I've tried some of the packaged spice mixtures, but they've all been to sweet for me. Does anyone have a recipe for a good savory spice mix that would be enhanced by the addition of a few hot peppers? Dale

gbrown
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Google up Kosher Dill recipes. There are a lot out there. I use a packaged mix for Kosher and its good. I'd have to go to the store and look it up. I think it may have been a Ball recipe. A green and white package. Small one for 6 pints and then a bulk size one.

Oreo
10-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know about pickling eggs or sausage but making regular cucumber pickles is easy-peasy.

I start with a 25% water / 75% apple cider vinegar, and salt to taste. To each jar (after boiling) I add two habaneros sliced in half. That will get you some good spicy pickles. Now, fresh dill, mustard seed, garlic, etc. can be added to the brine either before or after boiling. None of the measurements seem very sensitive to me. I just kinda eye-ball it. The pickles always come out delish.

gwpercle
10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Here is a savory recipe for pickled eggs and I don't see why you can't use the same mix for pickled sausage if you like it.

This is for 12 to 13 hard boiled eggs....peel eggs and place into clean quart jar or 2 pint jars.

In a sauce pan place:
2 cups vinegar ( 5 % acidity )
2 cups water
3 tablespoons canning salt ( non-iodized )
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dill seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 or 2 cloves garlic ( whole or sliced )
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers sliced

Bring the spice mix to a boil and let boil for 3 to 4 min.
Pour hot brine over eggs in jar to within one-half inch from top and add any remaining spices, garlic and peppers into jar(s) with the eggs. If you got a sprig or two of fresh dill add it.
Place the lid on the jar , let cool, shake and place in refrigerator. Shake jar once
a day for 10 days before eating.
It's best to keep pickled eggs in the refrigerator before and after opening...they keep a long time or at least long enough for you to finish them.

There are methods to process pickled eggs for storage without refrigeration but the brine is extremely vinegary and salty. I like these better. I use the same spice mix for ref'g. pickles with thin sliced cucumbers instead of eggs...good.

gary

DHurtig
10-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Thank you guys, Dale