PDA

View Full Version : Some recent stock work

Gunfreak25
10-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I am busier than a one armed paper hanger these day's but I thought i'd take a few minutes to share some recent stock work. The 1st stock is a P17 enfield that was sent to me with a duffel cut (forend sawed off). A replacement forend was included. I did not have a 1917 action laying around to aid in the repair, but I did have a very nice P17 stock. After prepping both surfaces and applying my resin I clamped both stocks together with the barrel channels facing one another. I simply set the forend on the stock and let the intact stock act as an alignment tool. The result was a perfectly straight and true repair done without the need of a barreled action. Additional reinforcements were added later to the joint of the repair. You can also see a large dutchman I installed on the left side of the stock just before the barrel band.

Gunfreak25
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
This was a M91/30 stock sent to me by a member at the SurplusRifleForum. I took a piece from a junk M44 stock and spliced it onto his M91/30 stock with a 1-2mm gap between the new piece of wood and the scope mount to prevent the mount from hitting the wood in the future under recoil. This was a very easy job and I had a really fun time doing it. After it was back together with the owner he sent me a couple photo's of the repair.

Gunfreak25
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
This is a Browning trap gun stock and forend sent to me by one of our members here. The stock had the factory ugly poly finish which hides all beauty in the grain, it had numerous little dings and chips in the finish. After a complete strip, prep and stain job I applied a dozen coats of Tru Oil by hand, fingers only. No spray guns, no rags. Probably give me cancer but what the hell, can't beat hand rubbed. :kidding:

He is sending another Browning stock in to be converted from Monte Carlo style down to traditional style and also wants the same refinish job done. Note the color appears off in the 2nd picture on the right, in person it is not that noticeable. The stain blended nicely on this stock and it's one of my favorites. Actually all of them are my favorite!

Gunfreak25
10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
More work will be posted when time permits.

danski26
10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Very Nice!

MBTcustom
10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I love your work. Keep it up!
I tried to send a coworker your way the other day, showed him pictures on your site, etc. but he decided to just do the work himself.
Oh well, his loss.

Gunfreak25
10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Many thanks for the recommendation, Tim!

Smitty's Retired
10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Excellent job as always Gunfreak. I always enjoy seeing your work. Have followed your and Candyman's recommendations for a while, here and on surplusrifle. It has helped me on a couple of stock cracks in the past. Thanks for your helpful knowledge.

Smitty

Gunfreak25
10-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Smitty, Lee (Candyman) was always a great mentor. He still won't tell me all of his secrets. Every once in awhile i'll email him with a neat trick I found or a tip, he just say's "oh yeah I known that for years Tom". Thanks for the kind words!