PDA

View Full Version : What to do with LLA?

375RUGER
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a few unopened bottles of LLA. Before I decide to get rid of it-What could it be used for besides tumble lubing?

cutting lube?
put in somebodys gas tank:twisted:?
pancake syrup?
non-stick grill coating?
replacement for loctite?
fiddle rosin?
ball hitch lube?
chassis undercoat?

I have a feeling I should keep some in case I find a need for an additive for some other lube to improve it's physical properties or dynamic benefits. What say you?

No_1
10-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Take a gander at this (http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?t=67654) and decide if you have a use for it.

Shooter
10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I use it mixed with candle wax to pan lube.

Recluse
10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
In addition to using it as part of my 45/45/10 lube, I also use LLA as a rust preventive on my molds--especially the Lee molds that are aluminum blocks and steel frames.

A small, small drop on a q-tip, then applied evenly over the bare metal surfaces has kept my Lee molds from developing so much as even a speck of rust.

In addition, I use LLA--sparingly--on a patch with a jag to "rust/pit-proof barrels of firearms I store that are not fired often.

I've found that having liquid alox around the shop is a good thing.

:coffee:

mdi
10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Besides using it for tumble lube, it's a good ingredient for wax based lubes (soften beeswax with alox) and of course 45-45-10! I thinned some with mineral spirits and painted it on sone lock hasps that were getting rusty. Stopped the rust...

captaint
10-06-2012, 08:39 AM
OR - Sell it here or trade to somebody for something you need... enjoy Mike

FergusonTO35
10-12-2012, 12:29 PM
You could always send it to me...:wink:

I find LLA is very effective for rifle and faster handgun boolits if you apply it directly to the sides of the boolit with a cotton swab or a small paintbrush. You can lay it on alot thicker than tumble lubing and it avoids getting lube on the ogive or base of the boolit.

geargnasher
10-13-2012, 08:47 PM
It's a cutting oil/emulsion EP additive or corrosion inhibitor, use your imagination to see if you have much use for it. Other than the purpose No. 1 posted, I give it away or pour it on fire ant beds. I tried to light some damp wood in the stove with it once, worked great but the smell nearly got me divorced.

Gear

375RUGER
10-15-2012, 08:25 PM
fireants! does it kill 'em? I don't have fire ants but I have some that are hard to kill.

geargnasher
10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
It kills the ones it touches after a while, that's about it. It damages the chitin barrier and they dehydrate and die.

Fire ants are only good for one thing: De-fleshing European mounts. Be glad if you don't have them, they love electricity, cotton, and rubber.

Gear

375RUGER
10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm very glad I don't have them. I've lived in San Antonio, Fort Hood, and Longview. I've killed a bunch.

stubshaft
10-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Doesn't work as fiddle rosin! Might work as peg lube though...

geargnasher
10-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Use soap for peg lube, but not on pianos! Don't ask how I know....

Gear