PDA

View Full Version : Lube grooves

trying2learn
10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I am curious. Is there any specific rule or anything like that as to how many lube grooves you fill. I have a Lyman swc mold that has 2 groves in it. I filled them both last night with lube however it sure seems like a lot of lube I may be wrong on that.

I guess my main question is how do you know how many to fill. I only have experience loading single groove bullets. That I had purchased prior to my casting days. If I remember correct it is a 452492 mold. I will look in a bit at the notes in my phone to try and confirm that. I do know it's a swc 452 single mold for 45acp.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

btroj
10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Some have gotten better accuracy from 38 wadcutters by filling only 1 groove rather than 2.

Only your gun knows. Much depends on what lube you are using. Those with more "slick stuff" may do better with less lube, those lubes that are more like a crayon may do fine with more.

Try both and see if you notice a difference.

trying2learn
10-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Ok that was kind of what I was thinking I would have to do. I just wasn't sure if there was a standard. Saying if the manufacture put two grooves you have to fill them both. Or if the better idea was to fill one and test.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

runfiverun
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
i try to use as little as possible.
and as low on the boolit as possible.

captaint
10-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Everybody I talk to says - only lube one gruv. And after trying just that, I must say they're right. It works great. I think the only boolit I have lubed 2 gruves on is my 250 gr 38-55 boolit. The barrel for that rifle is 28 inches long. That's why I did both.. That worked great too. enjoy Mike