PDA

View Full Version : Pressure issue in 9mm?

Jal5
10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Been trying different loads using Bullseye and RCBS 09115RN as you can see in my previous posts. Recently shot 25 rounds which had pretty good Accuracy good cycling and little leading. Didn't notice anything unusual in performance of the gun S&W MP Shield.

When I retrieved the brass I picked up one with a fully split case. I think there is no way I didn't feel or see that? I have that one plus several others in the pics- what du you think about pressure signs? These were well below max loading too and not hot at all. Continued shooting another different batch of reloads without problem too.

Jal5
10-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Pics of case48265s I am questioning

EdS
10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
It looks like one piece of bad brass if all other indications are normal. If you keep your brass grouped by headstamp and number of times reloaded you can discard the group when you start to see splits in the neck, loose primer pockets or other signs of failure. -Ed

lotech
10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
May be nothing more than a faulty case or fatigued brass. How many times has your brass been loaded?

Moondawg
10-02-2012, 07:59 AM
I have had similar split cases and I know they were not due to over pressure. More than likely the spilt was caused by faulty brass or brass that had been reloaded one too many times, ie brass fatigue. A slightly large chamber could cause this. Many 9mm do have generous chambers. Most of my split cases have occurred in 38 spec. or 45acp brass that has been reloaded numerous times. Over pressure is more likely to show as flattend and enlarged primer pockets, or in a rifle when the shell case has almost welded itself to the chamber.

Shiloh
10-02-2012, 10:24 AM
How many times has it been loaded??
I get the occasional split brass.
Loaded too many times the brass gets work hardened and the metal fatigues.
I do however, have brass loaded at cast boolit velocities and pressures that has been loaded many many times.

Shiloh

runfiverun
10-02-2012, 11:05 AM
when you pick up your brass shake it in your hand that will get any loose dirt out of the cases.
it will also clink them together you will hear any split cases by the tonk sound they make.

you just had a case split no big deal.
i don't see any flow marks on the case head or oval primer pockets there.
now if you have a few more your next time out throw the batch of brass away and get new ones.
if you are using whatever from wherever and have once fired mixed in with who knows how many then just keep on tossing them as they split.
or set the ones that prime too easy off to the side when reloading and just let those ones go to the recycle bucket. [after firing of course]

Jal5
10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
These are range pickups for the brass so for me they were the first time reloaded that is all I know. I thought that with that kind of split there would be some thing I would feel or sense in firing it? Nothing out of the ordinary in that batch of 25 rounds at all. All of these were WIN brass, I do segregate by headstamp and happen to have much more WIN brass than anything else in 9mm. The primer pockets didn't look bad to me but I needed the expertise to back that up! Thanks. I will keep that tip in mind when reloading though if the primer seats too easily- could always segregate those and discard after firing.
Thanks.
Joe

fcvan
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Chuck it and replace it with another range pick up. Brass wears out and nickel plated splits faster. I had a guy give me some 45 Colt brass that was nickel. They are half gone from splits with only about 4 loads, with most of the loads being half the pressure of a 9mm load. I've been saving all my junk split throw away brass as a buddy plans on melting it in his forge and making some buckles. Frank

fredj338
10-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Brass wears out, just happens & it usually looks like that. If you use Brasso or other ammonia based polish, it accelerates the wear process.

captaint
10-02-2012, 07:27 PM
When I seat a loose primer, I mark the case with a black sharpie and it goes in the scrap pile after that firing. enjoy Mike

Jal5
10-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks all good tips!