PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Papers this week

bruce drake
10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Its been a long time but I think I'm about ready to call it a career in the Army. The wars are about complete and I can say that I've done my part to help our country.

The final call was when the Army due to the current budget problems decided that my Year Group of Officers would not be a priority for the Intermediate Level Education at Fort Leavenworth. They have decided to focus on the younger Majors for that and because I spent the first couple years in Afghanistan and was not able to attend the course prior, I've been given the option to complete the course through the Internet to "Check the Block" versus attending the course here at Fort Leavenworth in person. This will not aid me in selection for higher grades when I will be competing against those same younger officers with the Masters of Military Science degrees in their resumes.

So after 23 years of service, I walked into the ACAP (Army Career and Alumni Program) office here this afternoon and started the process to retire next summer after the school is out for the boys.

Tomorrow I have an appointment to fill out my Federal Troops to Teachers program application and I hope by this time next year I'll be a few months into my first year as an Elementary or High School Teacher in a rural community somewhere back in the South.

So, my thanks are to the US Marine Corps and the US Army who have allowed me to support my family and given me so many opportunities for success over the many years since I joined the Services in 1989 . Until I retire in June, I will continue to do my duty to train the upcoming generation of Army Public Affairs Officers so that I will have a legacy of good work following my departure from the Army.

And perhaps after I retire I can finally start focusing my cast boolits projects to the point where the results will be published in shooting magazines for others to enjoy.

Bruce Drake
Major
US Army 1997-2013
USMC 1989-1997

Love Life
10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Are congrats in order here or is this a more somber message?

Either way thank you for paving the way.

rockrat
10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
And Thank You for your service

DIRT Farmer
10-01-2012, 09:59 PM
An old guy here who has one in, I like the idea of experienced officers leading when I have a son in the ranks.

Thanks for stepping forward and taking the oath.

plmitch
10-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Thank you Sir for all you have done and all that you do.

contender1
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
First,, from an old Huey crewchief,, "Thanks for your service brother!"

Next,, I understand how you feel. You've earned your retirement from them,, so step aside & hold your head high. Glad to know you are heading south,,,,!

skeettx
10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks to you for your service and thanks to your family for their support to you

May things go smoothly

Mike

RP
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for your service my son was in the reg army but he did not reenlist for one reason or another. But he is in the national guard I was hoping he was going to take his collage but instead he asked to go to back to the sand box for 9 more months. I really do not understand his thinking but I am proud of him serving and proud of the others that give up life as a lot of us know it to protect us. Enjoy the retirement and again thanks for service.

10-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Thank you for your service, sir.

I'm sure you will make an excellent teacher. I suspect that your students will learn a thing or two about personal responsibility and respect for others, too.

A couple weeks ago, I thought intently about how my life would have been so much different, had I made the Air Force a career, rather than just one four-year stint.

runfiverun
10-01-2012, 10:16 PM
i'm taking this as a somber thread.
you'll enjoy the stability and homelife.
and thankfully [for the community that gets you] you are going into teaching where you can properly influence a younger generation.
thanks Bruce.
Lamar.

nicholst55
10-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you for your service, Bruce. I retired almost 20 years ago, and I still miss it. The transition will be challenging, and difficult at times. You will emerge from it a different person. I wish you happiness and fulfillment in your life after the Army.

scarry scarney
10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Believe me, I understand, I did 22 yrs active. Your transition will be a hard adjustment. It was hard for both the family and myself to always being home, but it will come with time, and feel quite natural. It's time for someone else to take charge, you have done more than your duty. Welcome home soldier!

JeffinNZ
10-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Bruce, it's good that you are finishing your service on your terms so that's a positive. It's a shame however.

TCLouis
10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Congrats and thank you for your service and sacrifices.

Frank46
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Bruce, thank you for your service from an old navy snipe. Frank

waksupi
10-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Welcome home, soldier.

Dean D.
10-02-2012, 12:26 AM
A crisp, heartfelt and respectful salute to you Major. Thank you for your service to our great country.

I did the standard 4 years active, 2 years inactive. A career in the military was not for me but I have the utmost respect for all who followed their calling and did. Your choice of follow on occupations also shows the spirit of giving and I applaud you for that!

Good luck and best wishes in your future endeavors.

Kskybroom
10-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Thank You...

Blacksmith
10-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Bruce
Thank you for your service. I'm sorry you got caught in the squeeze. I look forward to your future endeavors.

SciFiJim
10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Bruce,
Duty is a heavy burden, but a difficult one to put down. You've done your duty to country, now it's time for duty to family. You've shown your boys what it means to serve something greater than one's self. Now you have a chance to spend extra time with your kids before they are grown and gone. It will be a special time indeed.
Welcome home soldier!

fatelk
10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Thank you for your service.

I never served, myself, but the older I get the more I truly appreciate those who do. Thanks again and best wishes for the future.

Char-Gar
10-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Bruce..These kinds of major life changes can be trying to say the least. But, you and your family will make the adjustments, settle in and have a great life. Teaching is a great profession and a way to make a real difference in individual lives. So, you contribution to our common good is far from over, it just takes a new form.

I am looking forward to reading what you write. Along with the other, I thank you (any your family) for your service to this great country and best of luck as you continue to do so in another way.

Charles Graff
Deep South Texas

BD
10-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Bruce, you've certainly put your time in. Thanks for your service, and good luck with your next path through life!
BD

Wayne Smith
10-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Congratulations, Bruce, for a job well done even if it is not completely to your liking. That's gonna happen in any beaucracy, not just the military. If you look at Jr. High throught High School remember that you are alrelady qualified to teach Military Science at those levels.

Jim
10-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Bruce, thank you for defending my freedom. I understand the costs.

sundog
10-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Bruce, thank you for your service. This is a time of some uncertainty, but also time to celebrate a good career and a great, supporting family! They will appreciate the part of no more deployments.

I retired in '94, forced out as part of the Clinton draw down. That was okay, because it lead to other good things. Since you have a plan, you can make it work any way you want it.

Enjoy life, enjoy family, and rejoice! You earned it.

dragonrider
10-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks Bruce, Your time spent in service to our country was time well spent.

cobroller
10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your service to our country. Welcome to our economy.

David2011
10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Bruce, thank you for your sacrifices and contributions. May your transition to your next stage in life be a happy one.

David

kenyerian
10-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Thank you !!! may you have a long and prosperous second career.

EMC45
10-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Thank you for your service Bruce.

DRNurse1
10-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Sir:

I concur with the general tone of this thread, thanking you, wishing you well in your new endeavor, wishing you could stay and continue your good work. I am glad you took the time to reflect on your service and project that learning toward your new career. This process will serve you well. I only wish the civilians could follow orders in a timely and appropriate fashion without cajoling from me. I hope you have better luck than I.

This retired Chief (one of those other services) commends you for your service, and salutes you smartly as you move along. Fair winds and following seas, sir.

DRNurse1

blackthorn
10-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Congratulations on your retirement!!! I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours! Thanks for your service to the world.

Gray Fox
10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you for your service and best of luck in your future plans. Please, however, look very closely at the Troops to Teachers Program. The folks in charge of that program are rewarded based on how many people they find to attend all their seminars, etc., not how many eventually get jobs. In all fairness, however, they have absolutely no control or influence on any state's hiring program.

I retired from the Army in '92 as a CW4 in Military Intelligence after 26 years of service, and my wife was riffed as an MI major in '93 just when we thought she would be on the track to making Lt. Colonel. We both thought with our degrees and background we would do well as teachers and our undergraduate degrees supported that. We, too, hoped to find positions in a rural area of our state.

We went through the program and got to the point where we interfaced with the state school districts only to find that not only was there no money to hire new teachers, many current ones were going to be let go. The economic situation now is much worse.

So, for your family's sake, please do a lot of research into the financial situations of any rural areas you would like to retire in before you pull the plug. Had I known in '92 that my wife was going to be riffed one year later I'd have taken what was going to have been a really crummy assignment rather than experience the turmoil that came later.

Again, the best of luck to you and yours as you move forward. GF

gbrown
10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
We went through the program and got to the point where we interfaced with the state school districts only to find that not only was there no money to hire new teachers, many current ones were going to be let go. The economic situation now is much worse.

First, thank you for your service, we appreciate it. I know it is a hard life at times.

Gray Fox is right. In Texas, back in 2011, the legislature cut about 7 billion from public education. RIF's in teaching and ancillary staff. I retired after 23 years from a small rural district, in part, to help them face this. In 2006 I retired after 23 years from the TxARNG (CW3 311A). What I know about the Troops to Teachers program in Texas, it is designed to help districts who have trouble filling positions. Most of these are inner city districts, not rural ones. If Texas is an option, I would look at areas to the north and west of Killeen, 50 + miles out. Also, I'm not sure what your career fields in the Army were, but there are a lot of opportunities for government service in both San Antonio and Killeen. Ft Sam, Randolph AF base (SA) and Ft Hood (K). If your career field could transfer to anything within insurance, look at USAA in San Antonio. They hire a lot of retired service members.

**oneshot**
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Congrads on retirement! Thank you for your service. You are going to miss it.

RugerFan
10-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Congrats Bruce and good luck!

JeffinNZ
10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
My major (no pun intended) concern is that Mrs Bruce will now have to learn to live with you again! Lucky she's a wonderfully tolerant lady. ;-)

koehn,jim
10-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Mk42gunner
10-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Bruce,

I transferred to the Fleet Reserve eight years ago. It takes a while to realize that you are not on call 24/7 anymore.

One thing that is supremely easy to get used to is staying in one place; no more transfers every 2-3 years. I counted all my moves up the other day, if I haven't forgotten any; I moved 23 times in twenty years in the Navy.

I don't plan to mave again.

Robert

firefly1957
10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your service and good luck on your new career. Some of my best teachers were former military in fact my high school physics teacher was former Marine involved in nuclear weapon development. (guess what we got extra chapters in)

skeettx
10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I have an interesting question

You will have military retirement
At the proper age you will have Social Security

If you start teaching and get a teacher retirement that cuts you out of Socail Security

Is this correct?

Mike

richhodg66
10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Bruce, I'm still on retirement leave until the end of October, but working full time (and then some) as a JROTC instructor. I'm enjoying it tremendously, gotta admit, I was bored with BCTP and getting tired of it, more than I realized.

Leavenworth is a pretty good place to retire. Go out to the VA hospital there and do your stuff through the VFW or American Legion guys (they share an office and do the same thing) the guy on post is a good guy, but he is swamped, and once you're done, the VFW will still be around to help you. Good luck.

By the way, the BCTP S-1 shop is as worthless as the proverbial tits on a boar hog. Stay on them and question everything they tell you. That new XO up there may have jacked them up enough by now to have changed things, but I doubt it. The one guy, Eric, is the only one who can think his way out of a wet paper bag, so try to deal with him as much as possible. All the installation staff is good to go. The two ladies in retirement services will take good care of you once you get to that point.

scarry scarney
10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Go out to the VA hospital there and do your stuff through the VFW or American Legion guys (they share an office and do the same thing) the guy on post is a good guy, but he is swamped, and once you're done, the VFW will still be around to help you. Good luck.
True statement concerning any VA Rep. I filled papers with the VA, and 13months later no action, got my DAV involved, and got it resolved two months later. Yes, VFW, AL, and DAV are here to help you. Join one of these groups, strength in numbers.

kmag
10-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Thank you for your service and wish you success in your teaching career.

bruce drake
10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Bruce,

I transferred to the Fleet Reserve eight years ago. It takes a while to realize that you are not on call 24/7 anymore.

One thing that is supremely easy to get used to is staying in one place; no more transfers every 2-3 years. I counted all my moves up the other day, if I haven't forgotten any; I moved 23 times in twenty years in the Navy.

I don't plan to mave again.

Robert

That is one of the plus I am looking forward to as well.

Bruce

DCM
10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Congratulations and many thanks.

bruce drake
10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Bruce, I'm still on retirement leave until the end of October, but working full time (and then some) as a JROTC instructor. I'm enjoying it tremendously, gotta admit, I was bored with BCTP and getting tired of it, more than I realized.

Leavenworth is a pretty good place to retire. Go out to the VA hospital there and do your stuff through the VFW or American Legion guys (they share an office and do the same thing) the guy on post is a good guy, but he is swamped, and once you're done, the VFW will still be around to help you. Good luck.

By the way, the BCTP S-1 shop is as worthless as the proverbial tits on a boar hog. Stay on them and question everything they tell you. That new XO up there may have jacked them up enough by now to have changed things, but I doubt it. The one guy, Eric, is the only one who can think his way out of a wet paper bag, so try to deal with him as much as possible. All the installation staff is good to go. The two ladies in retirement services will take good care of you once you get to that point.

Thanks Rich, that is some good advice that I'll push out to the rest of us who are debating retirement options at this time here at the Command. I'm the first to officially drop papers but if you call back to Alpha you'll find there are a lot of Majors affected by this recent change.

Mission continues on though. Heading to Korea in a few weeks to train a Brigade there with OG Charlie. I probably won't take myself off the rotations until April but after that its simply out-processing and going PTDY to do job interviews. Right now, a move back to GA is looking pretty good but I'll teach wherever they offer a job (short of NY or any other Northeastern State) that has a salary that matches what I'm dropping from my current salary to go on the retired lists. Looked today and found I still have 71 days of vacation time with an additional 24 days to be earned before I retire. I think I will be taking a lot of time off in-between missions and still have a bunch of leave to take before I go off the Active rolls.

Bruce

MT Gianni
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Bruce, I am sure that your decision did not come lightly. Enjoy your time with family and recognize that the military will go on without you. Thanks for your service but continue to look forward, Gianni.

Echo
10-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your service, Bruce. You have made a wise choice - in fact, a couple of wise choices. Re teaching - a rural setting is preferable (IMHO) to a citified setting. My son wants to retire and teach science and coach baseball in HS. He wouldn't last a week in a public school in a large city - maybe a private school - but could do well in a smaller school district environment.
The way to get promoted in large school districts is to not make waves. Don't make ANY waves, and one might get to be a Principal. And Political Correctness is rampant because of it.
In any case, be well...

bruce drake
10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I've gotten a couple of email replies from various state Troops to Teachers Administrators (Missouri, Florida and Indiana) today and a pathway for an expedited Teaching Certificate for MO as well, so things are positive so far.

garbear
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Sir enjoy your retirement.
Garbear

starbits
10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
In another 22 months I will have been retired as long as I was in the military. Like sundog I was forced out in 94 by the shrinking military. Miss the people, but only occasionally the job.

Good luck on the new career and thanks for your service in the old career. Oh!, all that free time you are looking forward to, good luck finding it too!

Starbits

PS Any extra leave you sell will be paid in a check 6+ weeks after you muster out so don't plan on having it paid in cash at the end like I did. Messed up a great trip to Alaska.

gbrown
10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I have an interesting question

You will have military retirement
At the proper age you will have Social Security

If you start teaching and get a teacher retirement that cuts you out of Socail Security

Is this correct?

Mike

skeettx: Does not cut you out of Social Security (SS). WEP (Windfall Elimination Program or Provision) comes into play if State opts out of SS for State retirement, as in the case of Tx. I know, I'm there. Reduces SS payment (they now call it an entitlement?) by about 1/2. Does not affect anything else. IMHO, a stupid act, as most teacher retirements are good, but far less than others. If you make your quarters with SS, you should be treated equally with others.

richhodg66
10-03-2012, 11:19 PM
"Looked today and found I still have 71 days of vacation time with an additional 24 days to be earned before I retire. I think I will be taking a lot of time off in-between missions and still have a bunch of leave to take before I go off the Active rolls."

I found out the hard way that you can't take use/lose leave as retirement leave. If you plan to take that much, make sure it doesn't straddle the end of a fiscal year, you can't do it. This was my biggest beef with that incompetent S-1 shop; I spelled oyut my plan a year in advance on the memo like you're supposed to, then they didn't bother to read it and didn't tell me til I dropped my DA 31s when it was too late for me to change it, basically. And, oh by the way, they had approved my full bird boss' leave which was almost the exact timeline as mine, so they had to go back and tell him they screwed up (not pretty for them, Big Jack was not a pleasant guy to staff pukes who didn't work for him, but a terrific guy to those of us who were loyal and worked for him. He was an awsome boss). Anyway, like I said; question everything and don't be shy about calling them to task on stuff. That office needs to be shaken up badly from time to time.

They tried real hard to convince me to sell back 30 days of leave and I wouldn't do it. The raping you take on taxes just isn't worth it. I still ended up having to sell back 13 days, but I still got loose early enough to be available for the start of the school year.

Take a look at the JROTC thing, it's a good gig and pays a whole lot better than most public teaching jobs do. I'm having a lot of fun, though it is keeping me real busy. All the doom and gloom about American youth you hear isn't entirely true, they have some challenges, but there are a lot more great kids out there than one would think, and a guy like you can make a big difference.

bruce drake
10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks Rich,

The Big Boss called me into the office to try to talk me out of retiring. It didn't work. JROTC may be interesting as well. You have a point of contact for the KS region?

I'm taking a bunch of leave over the next 60 days in between trips to Korea and Ft. Campbell. Another thanks on the warning about the Leave papers though.

Bruce

HodakaGA
10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Bruce, you mentioned GA. Is that home or one of your past ones? We'd like you back.

Consider a position at North Georgia College. My son's a 2nd year cadet there and I'd get a chance to run up with you. Beautiful area and a real nice small town but close enough to the city to enjoy and get back out by dark.

richhodg66
10-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks Rich,

The Big Boss called me into the office to try to talk me out of retiring. It didn't work. JROTC may be interesting as well. You have a point of contact for the KS region?

I'm taking a bunch of leave over the next 60 days in between trips to Korea and Ft. Campbell. Another thanks on the warning about the Leave papers though.

Bruce

Go to the JROTC web site, they have a vacancies list which is kind of up to date. It'll also tell you the process for applying. Basicaly, retired NCO or officer, current physical, last three eval reports, some online training certificate that'll take you about an hour and a few other things. You do have to interview with a DAI (if a district has multiple JROTC units, the have a senior guy that is kind of boss of them). It can be any DAI, doesn't matter where. Since the closest in Kansas is in Wichita, I went across the river and interviewed with the one in St. Jo. Here's the link if I do this right;

http://https://www.usarmyjrotc.com/

Go to the employment opportunities link, there are six openings for an officer in Georgia assuming they're all still current.

Honestly, it was pretty easy. Passed all the requirements with flying colors, then interviewed with a school in Omaha, one in Wichita and this one in Topeka which was the one I wanted and could have had a job at any of them. It is rewarding work and very refreshing after BCTP, I didn't realize how that was wearing on me, some guys love it, I really didn't.

bruce drake
10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the links Rich, there are several opportunities in states I'm thinking of retiring too. I'll have to wait until I'm six months out from retirement to apply according to the reference webpage so it is sitting on my taskbar for follow-up. It would also help my transition into full time teaching of other subjects as well.

HodakaGA -Georgia was the assignment before the last one and the family and I liked the state as well as having relations nearby as well. I'm from Maine via South Carolina and my wife is from Indiana but her family has been moving south over the last 20 years and she now has a bunch of relatives in the Atlanta area.

captaint
10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Thank you for your years of service to your Country, Bruce. OUR country, Bruce... Interesting, the way the military works, no ?? When I did my 2 years, I was often puzzled by the way they did things. Thank you again. enjoy Mike

Boerrancher
10-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Well Sir,

I saw where you had gotten a way to expedite your teaching certificate from MO. I can say that I would love to have you as a neighbor. If you can a Job in the Franklin, Crawford, or Washington county area, I know lots of smaller farms that have gone on the market, as well as lots of homes that are nice but inexpensive.

I told the wife about the changes the Army made that will "save money", and explained how it will effect Officers in our peer group. The wife being a career army wife and knowing how the DOD operates, stated that it was BS. Let's face it, they don't want older more experienced officers who were prior enlisted anymore. I am still a bit sore over the fact that they pulled my promotion to Maj once they found out there was a possibility that I might not have recovered from my injuries. Which was true I never have, but I still feel I had lots to contribute, as I am sure you as well.

Good luck my friend and thank you for your many years of service. When you become a teacher no matter where it is, make sure you teach your students about freedom and liberty. Tell them about all of those who sacrificed before us. Many young people today do not know the sacrifices that were made, because they are not taught about what it takes to remain a free people. God speed on where ever you choose to go. Also my wife wanted me to tell your wife, "Thank you for supporting your husband through all the lonely weeks and months, and raising your children on your own. It takes a special kind of woman to stay with a man who is away most of the time."

Best wishes,

Joe

WILCO
10-06-2012, 06:27 PM
And Thank You for your service

+1! [smilie=s:

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Thank you for your service, Bruce. I retired almost 20 years ago, and I still miss it. The transition will be challenging, and difficult at times. You will emerge from it a different person. I wish you happiness and fulfillment in your life after the Army.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on my retirement thread, The Missus is having the most difficulty with the idea of transitioning at this point. She's been a Military Spouse for nearly 18 years for the USMC and the US Army and she's got a new life ahead of her as well. The boys are ready for me to be done. We've moved a lot for the Army in the last 10 years in addition to all the deployments.

I've got a meeting with the MO Troops to Teachers this week to set the ground work for the Teaching Certificate for the state. If things work well, I'm guaranteed a 3 year contract with whichever school district hires me on. By that time, I'll have additional certificates to allow me to teach multiple subjects or move onto the Administration side (I would ultimately like to move onto be a principal somewhere.)

I'd prefer to teach in a rural community but I'll teach in a bigger city if I need to. I WILL live rural wherever I am working so I can finally get that backyard range everyone else on the forum seems to have :)

Bruce

JeffinNZ
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, as I said to you the other day, moving to teaching you will still be serving your country well and unlike most teachers (no disrepect intended) you have seen a lot of the REAL world, more than most of us would ever want to see. Your maturity won't go amiss either along with having kids of your own. I can see this being a very good move for you all.

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks Jeff,

One day I may be the Civics Teacher teaching US Kids about our history over the last 30 years in the fight against Islamic Terrorists and this is what they'll probably be seeing...

But then again, my personal opinion is unless you serve the country at some time in your life, you don't deserve the right to be called a citizen but that's just my personal opinion.

Bruce

Yeah, a blatant reference to Heinlein's book/movie "Starship Troopers".

Ben
10-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome home Bruce.

I'm a retired school principal here in AL, I'd have loved to of hired you to teach at my school.

Ben

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Ben,

you got any pull with the current admin? I can teach science, history as well as math and I'd be available in June of next year...

Oh, and Cleveland, AL is less than 3hrs from the Brother In Law's family in GA as well.

not too close and not to far if you know what I mean...

Bruce

Ben
10-07-2012, 11:22 PM
PM Sent

bruce drake
10-08-2012, 05:24 PM
thanks for the PM Ben! Looking forward to discussing this more in the future.

Bruce

bruce drake
10-11-2012, 09:56 PM
The meeting with the MO Troops to Teachers went very well today. I even got to meet the State's Director of Veteran's Education and got photographed with them for their monthly newsletter.

I'll be starting their approved teacher certification program next week and should be done within the next 8 months. One good thing about being stuck in a hotel room 2 weeks out every month means I'll have plenty of nights to work on this program before I retire.

I'll start canvassing Missouri school districts in Jan/Feb once they announce their planned vacancies for the 2013 school year. I impressed the State Director today when he found I drove 3hrs one way to meet with them when I didn't need to. I told them that the best way for people to potentially hire me is for them seeing me in their office dropping the applications off and being there in the appropriate dress (suit and tie) of a teacher.

Ben, thanks so much for you reaching out to give me some information about Alabama and the opportunities in Cleveland AL. Your friend Phil has been very helpful this week as well. Unfortunately, the Alabama State TTT program doesn't have the equivalent certification programs that Missouri offers.

Bruce

WRideout
10-12-2012, 07:16 AM
As a sometime writer myself, I have appreciated your posts and your advice on my questions over the past few years. I retired from the PA ARNG as the world's oldest living captain.

There is something very compelling about working with people whom you may have to depend on for your very life. I stayed in because of my comrades-in-arms. I'm sure you will do well in your next career, whatever it may bring.

Wayne

10-x
10-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Bruce,
Thank you for your service, wish you and your family the best. As posted before, we'd love for you come back to GA.( or N. FL.)
Dave

bruce drake
10-12-2012, 12:09 PM
First focus is Missouri but you never know where the Lord will send you.

richhodg66
10-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Something to consider; Kansas does not tax military retired pay as income and I believe Missouri does. I like Missouri as a place to live and work, but that is significant enough to me to be a serious consideration when choosing a state.

Of course, Texas, S.D. and a few others don't tax any income.

jed
10-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Missouri will not tax military retirement pay after 2016.

richhodg66
10-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Missouri will not tax military retirement pay after 2016.

Good information. Bruce and I were stationed on Fort Leavenworth which employees a lot of military retirees, many of whom live on the Missouri side of the river. I never could understand why someone would willingly take the tax burden of doing so, I guess they'll be OK in a few years.

GARCIA
10-13-2012, 10:34 AM
bruce drake I hope you and your wife the best in your upcoming new life!
A military wifes job has got to be one of the hardest ones around.
My wife did 7 years (EOD Tech) and then put up with all my stuff until retirement in 94.

Thank you and your wife for your service to the military and this country.

Tom

John Guedry
10-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you for your service. I am sure you will be an excellent teacher. My favorite teacher in high school was a gentleman who had jumped into Normandy on D-Day. He never spoke of his personal experiences,but gave things that happened to his unit as a whole.

bruce drake
10-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Rich,
Missouri has a better program for my license procedure and its a little bit closer to the inlaws in Indiana. I've served in MO before (St. Louis area) so its almost like I'll be heading to a relatively familiar area whether I end up near the KCM or St.L area of the state.

My retirement request finally cleared the S1 so I should be getting a retirement date for next year sometime before the end of this year.

I plan to start interviewing for job positions sometime after February.

Bruce

JeffinNZ
10-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Can we expect a visit to the South Pacific then?

bruce drake
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Jeff,

My retirement boat is an 8ft homemade rowboat. Not sure if it will handle the Pacific anytime soon. It will be a few years before Marti and I can make it to the Extreme South! ;)

Bruce

bruce drake
10-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Thank you for your service. I am sure you will be an excellent teacher. My favorite teacher in high school was a gentleman who had jumped into Normandy on D-Day. He never spoke of his personal experiences,but gave things that happened to his unit as a whole.

I'll probably never bring up my personal service either as there are a lot better role models and heros that have come out of these wars for our kids to learn about when they ask what we've done to protect them over the last 12 years.

Bruce