View Full Version : minimum Chamber meat - 303Brit

nanuk
10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Just picked up a P14 for the stock

the receiver has broken screws in the D&T'd Ring, and Bridge

the barrel also has two holes D&T's for a scope base, over the chamber

the ring has been turned down a bit, to try to match the barrel profile

rough job on that.

I have no plans to hotrod a 303Brit, but would indeed want it to be safe with factory loads

Everything I have read says 0.200 minimum over any part of the chamber, but that is for everything, even high pressure magnums.

What would be the minimum safe thickness for the ol' Brit?

'nuk

Frank46
10-02-2012, 12:31 AM
If I read what you posted correctly, that the receiver ring itself has been turned down to match the barrel profile?. If I remember correctly there is a section on the right side that sticks out and is that way for the right side of the bolt lugs to pass through before they lock up. Depends on how much has been turned off. If the section has been turned down to completely round I would say that the receivers structural integrity has been compromised. If you could post pics that would help. Frank

nanuk
10-02-2012, 02:10 AM
yeah, the last 1/4 inch or so has been turned down same diameter as the barrel...

I'll see what I can do about pictures.

Multigunner
10-02-2012, 05:25 AM
yeah, the last 1/4 inch or so has been turned down same diameter as the barrel...

I'll see what I can do about pictures.
Sure it isn't a "breeching ring" rather than the receiver ring itself ?

I have seen a relic Lee Enfield action that someone had filed down like that, likely due to rust having eaten away at the front of the ring. That stripped barreled action body had been found wearing a nice sporter stock, it had apparently been used by someone in preliminary fitting up of sporter stock sets, never meaning for it to be restored. You could see the top of a couple of threads.

Also one Krag sporter with the front end of the ring filed down but in a much neater fashion.

Some rifles with balance point At or just in front of the ring would collect sweat under the handguard from the hnd of someone having carried it by one hand at the balance point for years in the tropics and never oiling the metal.
Sweat is highly corrosive, even more so than seawater.
In trying to pretty the action up some remove a lot of steel trying to get the deep pitting out.

Frank46
10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I dug out a winchester 1917 action and tried to see what it would look like as you had described. And have a buba'd 14 to look at as well. The breech section of the barrel is just about the same size as the front of the receiver. Sounds kinda "iffy" to shoot with full power ammo. But may be ok with cast boolits. Those busted screws are going to be a pain to get out.
Can you measure the depth of the screw holes over the chamber?. Measure the diameter of the barrel at the chamber where it fits into the receiver, try and measure a 303 case approximately where the holes are and subtract that from the diameter of the bbl. That should give you an approximation of the chamber thickness. And if you have a small nail or something similar use that to get an idea how deep the holes are over the chamber. Sounds crude but may give you an idea how much metal is left at the bottom of the holes. And yes I flunked math. Hope this helps. Frank