PDA

View Full Version : Need info about Lemishine

Alan in Vermont
10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I have seen it mentioned here repeatedly, cannot find it locally, nobody has it in town. Any big chain stores that carry it and might be represented in the far corner of the supply chain?

What form does it come in? I thought it was a liquid but all I find in a search is a couple varieties of powdered product.

What ratio do you mix it with water if it is the powder you're using?

I want to try it for getting the hard tarnish off some of my older brass and maybe even brighten range scrap jackets so the local scrapper will take them.

Thanks in advance.

DGV
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Wal-Mart has it. it comes in little crystals. About $3.50 for a 12 oz. container

alfloyd
10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
You will find it in the dish washing soap isle.
It coms in a bottle about 8 oz size and it is grainular like sugar.
Use about 1 Tablespoon in 1 gal of water.

Lafaun

starreloader
10-02-2012, 12:12 AM
You can get prue "CITRIC ACID" powder here.. Can order online or call them at 256-340-4866, they sell it in quantities from as little as 1lb to 50lb pails... Much cheaper than buying Limeshine..

www.dudadiesel.com

SWANEEDB
10-02-2012, 12:55 AM
You can get citric acid from a Vet supply, used to put in water for the cattle, pigs etc, around $2.50 a lb, I mix about a cup full to 4 gal water, use it time and time again, let my brass sit in it for 20-30 min's, rinse with soapy water, lay it out to dry, then run it thru my tumbler, does a superb job.

adkpete
10-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Any place that sells wine and beer making supplies should have pure citric acid. I have used Lemon juice and it works just as good.

kd185
10-02-2012, 06:52 AM
i made my own out of lemon juice soap and a few other kitchen items

No_1
10-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Try this link (http://www.lemishine.com/) to their website. There is a store locator on the home page where you can enter your zip code and find a local store that stocks it or you can purchase it direct from them. It may seem expensive but you need very little to get the job done. I finally found some using the store locator and boought 8 containers. I am still on the first....

I use it in a rotary tumbler that only holds about 250 cases and only add 1 tablespoon to the batch. The amount you add will depend on the size of your tumbler. I suggest starting with a very small amount, check the results then adjust your recipe as required to get the results you desire.

Jim
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I bought 8 lbs of food grade citric acid from BULK APOTHECARY.COM (http://www.bulkapothecary.com/citricacid.htm?gclid=CJioouOj4rICFUqi4AodejYAKA) . I mix 1/4 level cup to one gallon of water and stir it well to disolve it. The solution can be reused many times over. Let the brass soak in this solution overnight and it will remove tarnish from brass that has turned GI green from months of exposure.

Alan in Vermont
10-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys, now I know what I'm looking for. I've got to go a couple towns south later today and will be near a wally-world so I'll check for it there.

Walter Laich
10-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Don't be afraid to ask at Wally World. At mine they had one row of it on the bottom shelf. They pointed it out and still almost missed it

w

Alan in Vermont
10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Don't be afraid to ask at Wally World. At mine they had one row of it on the bottom shelf.

I ended up having to do just that. Laundry and dishwashing products are NOT with the other cleaning supplies. And after hobbling all the way to the opposite corner of the store I found out they were sold out on bulk 22s.

TAMU74
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
The Wal-Marts here locally have citric acid with the canning supplies. That's were I got mine and I use a tablespoon in a gallon of distilled water with a teaspoon of dishsoap. I used distilled water because the water here is very hard and heavily chlorinated.

Roundnoser
10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Just as an option for cleaning brass: I use "Copper Glo" by Bar Keepers Friend. It works in the same manner as Lemishine and does a great job on badly tarnished brass. its also quite inexpensive. A bottle costs under $2.

Moonman
10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Lemi-Shine is a RINSE AGENT for Dishwasher hard water SPOTS.

A 9MM cap full in a Gallon of Water is suficient for a 15lbs
Thumblers Tumber load of Brass (2lbs)

and the S.S. Pins (5lbs).

zuke
10-05-2012, 09:09 AM
From Walmart/Canadian Tire

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1295.jpg

From Home Hardware

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF2047.jpg