PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92' 357 question for owners

1bluehorse
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Okay, heres the deal. My wife has a Legacy Arms Puma in 357. Guns probably 8-9 years old, couple hundred rounds through it probably. Well I was shooting some wasp killer loads in it today, (160gr. /2.5gr BE) absolutley deadly at close range if ya hit em' right. :mrgreen: anyway, darn thing quit ejecting mtys...:confused: I mean seriously this thing is like new...well I tore it down for a little inspection and after getting there, thought may as well do the "Kiowa Jones" thing, ran the CD (been a long time since I did my 45 colt) got to the part of putting everything back together and (for the fellas that have seen the CD) when the time comes to install the lever by shoving a dummy round up under the ejector then hold the round down with your finger (holds everything together) then slide the bolt in.....well the ejector wouldn't hold the rim, hmmmmmm..says I, I then notice the ejector is a wee bit shorter than the bolt as you look at the top of the bolt like 1/16in or so. Yes the ejector still has a "lip", but if someone out there has a Rossi 357 would you be kind enough to just take a look at the ejector on top of the bolt and tell me if it's the same length as the bolt or a bit shorter. Gonna have to replace it irregardless but I'd kinda like to know if it's supposed to be shorter or not...thanks..

runfiverun
10-01-2012, 11:33 PM
they stick past the bolt face.
if you look at the bbl you'll see a notch there at the top for the extractor to fit into.

now the ejector pokes out from the face of the bolt [on the bottom] hinging the case off the extractor [on the top of the bolt] flipping it up into the air onto your hat brim or down your shirt.
it pushes against the bottom of the bbl when you close the bolt.
if the ejector spring is too strong it will dent the case mouths on the thinner cases [44-40 38-40 etc] pinging them against the chamber wall as they come from the neck area.

so to answer your question the ejector is always away from the bolt face untill the bolt is closed then it's pushing against the bottom rear of the bbl or the rim of the case.
and the extractor is also longer than the bolt, it hinges over the case rim and goes into the notch at the top of the bbl.

1bluehorse
10-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Yep. I understand how that works. I called it the ejector, should be the extractor, my bad..What I would like is for someone who owns a Rossi 92 357 to open the bolt, (lower the lever) look at the top of the bolt and tell me if the extractor (the piece that runs down the center of the top of the bolt) reaches all the way to the edge, the end, or is even with the forward face on the bolt, (however you want to describe it) or not. Mine doesn't..thanks..

Buckshot
10-02-2012, 01:26 AM
.............Just checked my Rossi Puma 38/357. Looking straight down on the bolt, the flat top of the extractor ends even with the top of the bolt (give or take 0.010" thousandths for machining tolerances). But from there the extractor continues forward at a downward angle at maybe a 30º angle, and extends beyond the top (and the face) of the bolt. This forms the top of the hook which is undercut on the bottom to accept the rim of the case. Obviously the extractor (as a complete piece) DOES extend beyond the top of the bolt.

...............Buckshot

1bluehorse
10-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Thats just the info I needed Buckshot, thanks a lot...I was pretty sure that's the way it is supposed to be, but ya never know...the one on the wifes is close to 1/16th in short, just enough that the extractor "hook" barely extends beyond the bolt face. It will barely catch the edge of the cartridge rim. Easy fix if I can get one. Thanks again for the assistance..

runfiverun
10-03-2012, 01:44 AM
those can sometimes get bent.
i had one on a model 94 that was bent and come up short.
i believe that's also why i got the pre-64 rifle for 300.00
i pulled it out and straightened it in my reloading press and put it back in and had no more problems with it.
i did order a new one and replace it asap though.

1bluehorse
10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
With the extractor in place, the ejector in the bolt, press a "dummy" cartridge up under (for want of a better way to put it) the extractor, it will not hold the rim of the cartridge. To me it looks like a very poorly designed/ machined part. The "hook" isn't near long enough to reliably catch the rim..trying to get a new one from the place that does the warrenty work for Puma/Rossi..

Calamity Jake
10-03-2012, 02:44 PM
..trying to get a new one from the place that does the warrenty work for Puma/Rossi..

Get one from Steves Gunz it'll be quicker and at a better price.

1bluehorse
10-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Get one from Steves Gunz it'll be quicker and at a better price.

I e-mailed him about the issue I was having. He agreed the extractor was probably the culprit, but didn't say anything about having them for sale. I know he sells springs, plugs, and such (I've bought a bit of stuff from him) but didn't know he had "hard" parts..I'll give him a call tomorrow. Thanks for the idea...