PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what these 'were'?

brotherdarrell
10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I know what they are going to be, boolits, just wondering what they were.

A little over 11" in diameter, shaped like a frisbee, one side machined flat and weigh between 25 & 30 lbs. They are too large to put under the Lee hardness tester but give a nice 'clink' instead of a 'clunk' when knocked together (or is that too subjective?)
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff489/brotherdarrell/DSC00062.jpg

brotherdarrell

3006guns
10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Future barbell weights? Oversize tiddly winks?

I sometimes get hard to identify bits of lead myself.....leaves me scratching my head sometimes but I don't lose sleep at night. I just melt 'em and shoot 'em.:cbpour:

Plate plinker
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Unborn boolits.

brotherdarrell
10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Hmm, good ideas all.[smilie=f:

It is always nice when you walk into the LGS and the owner tells you to back your truck and drop the tailgate.:mrgreen:

brotherdarrell

bumpo628
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
They look like skillet ingots to me.
or "skillingots"

waynem34
10-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I like the bar bell idea .How could you cast those I wonder?I posted first then read Back a few post and the answers already there.

hiram
10-02-2012, 11:37 PM
If they clink, put one in a pot of hot water to see if one melts. Could be cerrosafe. Not for boolits and costly.

3006guns
10-02-2012, 11:42 PM
If they clink, put one in a pot of hot water to see if one melts. Could be cerrosafe. Not for boolits and costly.

Not for boolits but boy could you sell it on here! First dibs!!

another gunslinger
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
+1 on the skillet ingots. those look like whats left in the last batch of WW smelting when I run out of propane and the whole thing cools in the skillet on the turkey fryer.

Stephen Cohen
10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
They do look like the ingots I used to cast and use as targets for my pistols. however I cast mine at least an inch thick so my 45 would not blast right through and the projectiles would remain in target. wast not want not I say

buck1
10-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Make some test cast boolits to be sure it casts well before you mix in your known good stuff.
I only made that mistake once.

Percival
10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I believe I've seen stacks of similar looking discs as weights on what I assume to be explosion vents on large storage tanks. I about had a fit when I picked up one that was laying in a stack at the base of the tank. They had holes in them though, so I can't be certain.

linotype
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Reminds me of my wife's sugar cookies.

brotherdarrell
10-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Skillet ingots is what I first thought when I saw these, BUTT!!!, these have a dome shape just like a frisbee. BUTT!!!! they could have come from a very, very, very shallow wok.

The interesting part is that the flat side has been machined flat. There are very faint marks left over and you can see where air bubbles were cut through with a nice shiny surface. In fact they are so flat that if you place two together you almost have to slide them apart, they almost suck up to each other. Hmmm, wierd.

They are also definitely lead, but I can barely scratch them with a fingernail. If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, I would say a bhn around 12-13. They will almost fit in my dutch oven so they will have to reduced some way. Maybe a sledgehammer to fold over a little bit.

brotherdarrell

b52fizzle
10-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Are they exact weight that would mean weights but for what, that would be one question answered for now.

badbob454
10-04-2012, 01:15 AM
probably what was hard to ladel out of his melting skillet into iingots ,,,
, when i started i had quite a few of these ,
now i insulate lift and pour whats left in the skillet into my ingots , stacks way easier

Sasquatch-1
10-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Don't know what it would have been used for, But, Could they be the end of a cylindrical cast cut off with a band saw?

Also on "How It's Made" they used something similar to that at a javalin factory to drive the tip into the shaft by throwing the javilin into a lead disk.

Bjornb
10-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Weights for floor lamps. Got several and they have mostly been soft lead.

The Black Spot
10-07-2012, 09:28 AM
melt some,see gow they cast, make a few bullets and compare weights with same bullet of known alloy. zinc will weigh alot less than ww or #2. just an idea.

brotherdarrell
10-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Melted two of these discs today. It appeared to take about the same amount of time as ww. While waiting for it to melt I put my 7MM soupcan mold on the warmer. When the lead was good and melted I poured 10 boolits. The two discs gave me almost 70lbs. of ingots.

Compare the boolits from the mystery metal to my 50/50 pure/ww.

dimensionaly the mystery metal was maybe .0005" larger and +/- .75 grains heavier. Also ended up with a nice 'frost' on a couple.

My 50/50 alloy has a bhn around 8-9 air cooled and 12-13 waterdropped. I will check these ingots in about a week to see where they are. It would appear for now I will be able to shoot these as is.

brotherdarrell

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 06:44 PM
You didn't say where you got them but I believe they are wheel weights smelted in a skillet by someone who didn't have an ingot mold. Or who wanted larger ingots that would be easier to stack.

brotherdarrell
10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
You didn't say where you got them but I believe they are wheel weights smelted in a skillet by someone who didn't have an ingot mold. Or who wanted larger ingots that would be easier to stack.

I walked into the LGS last week and the owner told me to back my truck up and drop the tailgate and get this stack of lead out of his shop.:grin: They belonged to a caster that had recently passed away.

I am fairly certain they were not cast in a skillet as they are domed on one side and "machined" flat (as in perfectly flat complete with machining marks) on the other.

Don't know what they were, but it appears they will definetly end up being boolits.:lovebooli

brotherdarrell

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I walked into the LGS last week and the owner told me to back my truck up and drop the tailgate and get this stack of lead out of his shop.:grin: They belonged to a caster that had recently passed away.

I am fairly certain they were not cast in a skillet as they are domed on one side and "machined" flat (as in perfectly flat complete with machining marks) on the other.

Don't know what they were, but it appears they will definetly end up being boolits.:lovebooli

brotherdarrell

I can't explain the machining but I still bet they were smelted from wheel weights in a round bottom skillet ( they do exist ).

Are they all the same thickness? and or weight?
He might have been making ballast of some kind.

evan price
10-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I got a milk crate of those last year. They are weights for in the bases of stands for stage microphones. Had me wondering when I saw them, but the scrapper told the junk dealer what they were cause he was curious too. Said the local high school had thrown out some old mike stands during a clean out.

brotherdarrell
10-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I got a milk crate of those last year. They are weights for in the bases of stands for stage microphones. Had me wondering when I saw them, but the scrapper told the junk dealer what they were cause he was curious too. Said the local high school had thrown out some old mike stands during a clean out.

That would explain the flat bottoms.:Fire:

Until something better comes along I will go with that.

brotherdarrell

brotherdarrell
10-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Five days after pouring the bhn now sets at 10 air-cooled. These will definitely WILL make boolits, and I still have about 150 lbs to melt.[smilie=w:

Gonna have to water dropp some wide flat noses and check bhn on those.[smilie=s:

brotherdarrell

brotherdarrell
12-24-2012, 05:34 PM
A little over two months later I had an interesting discovery. I was checking some other alloys with the Lee hardness tester and decided to check on this lead. What I found was the air cooled ingots were now at 14+. I also had a pile of Lee 452-200-rnfp that dropped underside due to my mold going bad. These were water dropped about 3 weeks ago. The tester showed a bhn right at 30!!!! Now I admit that the nose of these boolits are not exactly flat, but pretty close to it and I got a very clear and round divot from the tester. Makes me wonder what this alloy makeup really is.

And, yes, I do realize the Lee tester is not exactly a precision piece of equipment but it has proven to be consistent.

brotherdarrell

WILCO
12-24-2012, 06:03 PM
They look like skillet ingots to me.
or "skillingots"

Yep. I've made a few of those.

nhrifle
12-24-2012, 07:00 PM
When Marines and Green Berets get issued a pass for R&R, they go to a beach and play frisbee with those :bigsmyl2:

zuke
12-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Looked like nice weight's for a lead sled

BAGTIC
12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Look like a zinc anode I recovered from an old hot water heater.