PDA

View Full Version : Best lube in RCBS LAMII for 10mm and .500 S&W Mag.?

21Glock
10-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi guys,
I have been tumble lubing for the last 5 years since I got into casting. I'll be getting a RCBS LAMII soon to use for my 10mm, .45 Super and .500 S&W Magnum cast loads.
What is the best lube in your opinions for higher velocity rounds like the 10mm and .500 S&W Mag.
We're talking about velocities in the 1200- 1450fps range.
I've been looking at the Midway site at the Lyman Orange Magic lube and was wondering if that is a good lube to use.

I'll be getting a heater as well with the RCBS LAMII.

Thanks!

Bullshop
10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Thats not high velocity, 3650 fps is high velocity. That is what we have pushed Lotak to.
The bore was clean and shiney as new. Accuracy was 2.5 to 3 moa but more than likely due to the alloy not being able to handle the pressure.
Still very high velocity with no sign of lube break down.
If your going to shoot fast try Lotak.

ShooterAZ
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
White Label's BAC would work well for those applications. Also does not need a heater. Beyond 1500 fps I use their 2500+, it does not need a heater either.

21Glock
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Thats not high velocity, 3650 fps is high velocity. That is what we have pushed Lotak to.
The bore was clean and shiney as new. Accuracy was 2.5 to 3 moa but more than likely due to the alloy not being able to handle the pressure.
Still very high velocity with no sign of lube break down.
If your going to shoot fast try Lotak.

Where can I get Lotak and does it need a heater? Thanks!

21Glock
10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
White Label's BAC would work well for those applications. Also does not need a heater. Beyond 1500 fps I use their 2500+, it does not need a heater either.

Where can I get White's Label's BAC?

Thanks!

21Glock
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Also, guys, a very important point on both of these lubes, can they used on bullets that will be shot indoors, since I do alot of my handgun shooting at the local indoor pistol range.

I've heard that some lubes are not recommended to be used on cast bullets that are shot indoors.

ShooterAZ
10-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Where can I get White's Label's BAC?

Thanks!

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Does not smoke nearly as bad as Alox on a TL boolit.
Randy Rat's TAC-1 is supposed to not smoke either. I have not tried this one though.

21Glock
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Randy Rat's TAC-1 is supposed to not smoke either. I have not tried this one though.

THANKS SO MUCH! I like their products and their prices. I'll be getting some of their lubes soon to get me started on my RCBS LAMII

21Glock
10-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Do you have a phone number for lsstuff? I looked on their web site and they had a business card with a phone number on it, but it was so small I couldn't make it out.

I just ordered my RCBS LAMII and sizing dies and want to get some of this lube ASAP.

Thanks!

Jim
10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
501-605-1224

21Glock
10-02-2012, 09:58 AM
501-605-1224

Thanks! I take it from reading their web site that the prices of their lube sticks are $1.65 and $1.90 a stick, etc.

That beats Midway and their prices by a "long shot".

Tazman1602
10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
501-605-1224

Jim,

Thanks for the big print version. Need new bifocals and am tired or reading posts with my opti visor!

I need to try some of these lubes, been using Lyman orange in my Lyman 4500 for years for my handguns and use Rooster Red in my LAM II for rifles. Rooster Red has gotten expensive and I don't even know if you can get it anymore.

To the original poster GOOD FOR YOU for going with the LAM II! It is a MUCH stouter sizer than my Lyman which likes to break links if it is stressed too much. LAM II is built like a brick outhouse...

Art

ShooterAZ
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
You will not be disappointed with either the LAM II or White Label Lubes. The BAC is my hands down favorite for all of my handgun loads. For rifle loads I like the 2500+. Heater not needed for either one is a bonus too.

Lance Boyle
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm a newb but I've been using White's 2500 for both rifle and pistol loads. I did use some LBT blue for both but I like the White's lube better. The LBT blue seemed to quit working before the end of my Krag. Also the 2500 works great in the RCBS LAM (original) and doesn't extrude the lube out the bottom of of the sizing die like the LBT blue did. No need to re harvest the blue extrusions to reuse.

Only downside with the White's 2500 is that it's harder to see how completely it fills the groove compared to the opaque blue lube. Inspection takes a half a second longer.

21Glock
10-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I just called and talked to Leah and she said she had just lost her dog and wanted to call me back later. I'll call her back later this p.m. if I haven't heard back from her. I'm a dog lover too and hope she finds the pooch.

At these prices, I may get 3 sticks for BAC and 3 of 2500. It will be great to shoot higher velocity rounds in my 10mm and .45 Super and .500S&W with little to no leading.
Jacketed bullets? Don't need them anymore.

ShooterAZ
10-02-2012, 12:29 PM
You might want to consider getting a few more sticks than that...it will take 3/4 of a stick to fill all the recesses in your new sizer. At any rate 3 sticks won't last very long. I would suggest getting at least a dozen of each (bagged sticks). This will last you for a little while.

21Glock
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
You might want to consider getting a few more sticks than that...it will take 3/4 of a stick to fill all the recesses in your new sizer. At any rate 3 sticks won't last very long. I would suggest getting at least a dozen of each (bagged sticks). This will last you for a little while.

Ok. Will do. I might get 6-7 of each. I may use the BAC for mid-range or target loads and the 2500 for the hotter, higher end loads in each caliber.
Although if BAC is good up to 1500 fps, I should be OK either way.

21Glock
10-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Or, I could just get a dozen sticks of 2500. Do any of you use 2500 for your pistol cast bullets?

And how does it work for you?

ShooterAZ
10-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I like BAC for my pistol loads, including magnum. 2500 IMHO is better as a rifle lube. Either will work.

21Glock
10-02-2012, 05:13 PM
I just talked with Glenn and am ordering 6 sticks of BAC and 6 sticks of 2500 to get me started.

Do both lubes flow good for you as well without having to use a heater?

Leah found their dog too. Great to know, love my two doggies.

ShooterAZ
10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
No heater needed for either unless you are lubing outdoors in northern Minnesota in January.

21Glock
10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
No heater needed for either unless you are lubing outdoors in northern Minnesota in January.

Thanks! LOL Nothing like that here in Georgia.

Lance Boyle
10-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Good news on the dogs!

I don't need a heater for 2500+. have not tried the BAC but was really thinking on it.

Jim
10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the big print version. Need new bifocals and am tired or reading posts with my opti visor!.....Art

That's why I used to bold and size three everything. Then I started getting complaints that I was shouting, so I had to find a different way to do it. Nobody ever took a minute to ask my why, they just complained.

Elkins45
10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I have no experience with the .500 but I shoot a bit of 10mm. Most lubes, including something as simple as the Darr formula (50/50 parrafin wax + vaseline) will perform well at 10mm speeds.

21Glock
10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
GOOD NEWS! My new RCBS LAMII came today. All I need now is my top punch from theperfessor and the lube from lsstuff and I'll be lubin and sizin !!!!

I can't believe how small the RCBS LAMII is, that's great because I'm pretty cramped in my shooting/reloading bench area now. I got the Lyman heater too, just in case I'll need it later on.
Looks like a simple, well built piece of machinery.

Tazman1602
10-05-2012, 11:17 AM
GOOD NEWS! My new RCBS LAMII came today. All I need now is my top punch from theperfessor and the lube from lsstuff and I'll be lubin and sizin !!!!

I can't believe how small the RCBS LAMII is, that's great because I'm pretty cramped in my shooting/reloading bench area now. I got the Lyman heater too, just in case I'll need it later on.
Looks like a simple, well built piece of machinery.

Good for you for getting the heater also in case you need it, you will NOT be unhappy with that LAM II.

Just out of curiosity what molds are you using for your various calibers 21?

Man isn't the wait AWFUL? Whenever I get a new mold, tool, press, etc, I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus to get here. I hope none of the other *older* crowd here has these juvenile feelings..............<grin>

Art

21Glock
10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Good for you for getting the heater also in case you need it, you will NOT be unhappy with that LAM II.

Just out of curiosity what molds are you using for your various calibers 21?

Man isn't the wait AWFUL? Whenever I get a new mold, tool, press, etc, I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus to get here. I hope none of the other *older* crowd here has these juvenile feelings..............<grin>

Art

LEE 6 gangers for .45(230gr) and .40(175gr) cals. two of each. The .500 is a two cavity mold, LEE as well. This was my first one.
The truncated cone molds in the .45 and .40 are the ones I'll use with the RCBS LAMII, as the other ones in those calibers are LEE tumble lube design. I like the LEE 2 ogive,tumble lube round nose .45 mold feeds well in my Glock 21 with a/m barrel. The TC .45 mold I'll load up and use with some .45 Super loads since I won't have to worry too much about leading anymore.

21Glock
10-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Just curious, I'll mount the Lyman heater underneath the RCBS LAMII when I mount it on the bench.
Do the holes usually match up on the RCBS LAMII and the heater so I can mount it to my bench together or do I need to drill new holes in the heater?

Tazman1602
10-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Should line right up mon!

ShooterAZ
10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE= since I won't have to worry too much about leading anymore.[/QUOTE]

This will hold true ONLY if the boolits are sized properly to fit your guns. The luber and lube by itself won't solve this problem if it is one. Fit is King!

garym1a2
10-05-2012, 03:34 PM
BAC is good stuff. I like it better than their CR which is also good stuff. their 50/50 was also great for 45acp.