PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights on Ebay..............

3006guns
10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I saw a new wrinkle yesterday on Ebone in the reloading category.......50 lbs. of wheel wheights for $51.00, including shipping. With the price of lead these days that's not a bad deal, however the ad copy stated that they were guaranteed all steel, no lead, zinc or other metals. Thinking the seller made an error, I sent him an email informing him that bullet casters are after lead and he should correct his ad. His response was:

"All steel, for balancing car wheels, much cheaper than buying new".

I shook my head in disbelief. I guess there really are people that dense.

kelbro
10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
There are steel wheel weights. I saw the ad for $59. He sells both lead and steel.

3006guns
10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
First of all, I think I need to apologize for my "dense" comment but I've seen this sort of thing before, where sellers put everything from car parts to children's toys in amongst reloading presses and dies. Why? No one's going to bid on them and you're PAYING for the placement of that ad. Most are simple mistakes, I'm sure but if a buyer looking for lead wasn't paying strict attention and hit the "buy it now"..........well, I hope he owns a tire shop.

I can't think of a single reason why someone would list steel wheel weights in with casting supplies.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
10-01-2012, 10:33 AM
The reason is quite simple, when you post on ebay you enter terms relating to the listing and ebay suggests categories to list the item in. The seller probably simply entered "wheel weights" and ebay suggested he post it in the reloading>molds section because of all the hits for wheel weight that come up in descriptions from people selling wheel weight ingots in that section.

HATCH
10-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I would never purchase lead off of ebay.
You take too many chances and there are too many unknowns.

Ingots..... Who know if the smelter runs a hot pot and there isn't Zinc mixed in with the lead in the ingots.

I just bought 1/2 ton of 96/2/2 lead from a local foundry. Cost $1070.00
And sorry the guy doesn't ship and doesn't really want to deal with me but he wants me to help him cast (i would of done it without the bribe).

3006guns
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
The reason is quite simple, when you post on ebay you enter terms relating to the listing and ebay suggests categories to list the item in. The seller probably simply entered "wheel weights" and ebay suggested he post it in the reloading>molds section because of all the hits for wheel weight that come up in descriptions from people selling wheel weight ingots in that section.

I'm sorry.........I don't buy it. When I sold on Ebay I carefully looked for the category that would offer maximum exposure to the group that would be interested. In other words, I didn't choose to offer steel wheel weights with baking ware. I'd offer them in a section devoted to tires/wheels/auto tools/garage equipment. Why would you do anything else if you're genuinely interested in selling an item?

I'm sure the seller had no insidious intentions and just wasn't paying attention. My problem is with the buyer who bids and then is stuck with it because HE wasn't paying attention. Not the seller's responsibility of course, but why offer them incorrectly in the first place?

I don't buy lead off of Ebay either.................