PDA

View Full Version : CVA Kodiak problem

corvette8n
05-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Kodiak 209 Magnum blue 50 cal
After the first shot I have to clean before re-loading. It seems to be leaving a ring
of crud and wont let me push the projectile where it need to go it stops about 1/2
above full seating.
I am using two triple 7 or pyrodex pellets, I don't have any loose powder to try.
Here are the primers I tried so far:
Win muzzleloading 209 primers
Rem Kleanbore muzzleloading primers
CCI 209M
regular Win 209's
REM 209's

Do you think it has a rough spot in the bore
spent 3 hrs at the range cleaning after every shot.
I did get it sighted in.
getting about a 3in group at 100 yds.

I am about ready to send it back to CVA
this is my 3rd CVA muzzleloader and never had a problem
with the other two.

versifier
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Those powders, especially 777, are notorious for "ringing" like you are experiencing when used in certain rifles. IME, it has nothing to do with what kind of primers you are using, but rather the rifle you are firing them out of. My personal pet theory is that certain barrel steels react with those powders unfavorably. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that CVA uses several sources of barrels for their rifles. I do not think it is a rough spot, or you would have known it while pushing and pulling patches through it as often as you have been, and you would have felt it even when you had the barrel squeaky clean. Unless there really is a rough spot, switching to regular FFg black powder should eliminate the problem, as would using a lubed slug like a MaxiBall, or just upgrading to a better grade of M/L like a T/C or a Knight. If it is a rough spot, then you should definitely upgrade - there's no excuse for that kind of poor quality control today.