PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Arms .22 six shooter

_Hawkeye_
09-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Looking for a .22 single action for small game and to teach my daughters to shoot handguns. How are the heritage arms weapons?

Mk42gunner
09-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I knew one guy that had one about ten years ago, he was satisfied with it.

My cousin just bought one and he likes it, I haven't seen or shot it yet.

Some are good, some are bad; like any other gun, look it over carefully before plunking down the hardearned green stuff.

RObert

GP100man
09-30-2012, 11:36 PM
The only problem I have is seeing that skinny front site with 50 yr. old eyes !!!

Lonegun1894
10-01-2012, 03:04 AM
I keep one in my duty bag for when I need to put down injured (road hit) animals (almost always hogs, biggest so far was a 150LBer). It came with the .22 LR and .22 Mag cylinder, and mine is the short barreled birdshead grip. It is plenty accurate out to the 50yds I have shot it to, and works fine for hunting small game also. Like has been said, check it over before buying because I handled a couple that were junk and several that were very good before finding this small one I bought at a fair price. I like mine, but compared to my Ruger Single Six, it is a junker, but it does the job I got it for well.

mroliver77
10-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Daughter has one in .32mag/ It does not shoot worth a darn no matter what I have tried. I have not tried any condoms ans prolly wont.

My cousin has one in .22 that is accutate enough but is psone to misfires. I wont try abother.
J

Jim
10-01-2012, 07:37 AM
If you can afford a handgun that is better, I encourage you to look further.

Lonegun1894
10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I think Jim has the right idea. I have seen Ruger 22/45s and Browning Buckmarks for about $275-300ish in the last six months, and really think they are a lot more gun for the money. I paid $200 out the door for mine, but I specifically wanted a revolver for my needs. Make sure you check out the gun before you buy it, and the good examples are very serviceable guns, but you can make quite a step up in quality without laying out a whole lot more cash.

Love Life
10-01-2012, 09:29 PM
If you can afford a handgun that is better, I encourage you to look further.

+1 on that. I bought one a couple years ago. It came with the 22lr and the 22 mag cylinders. It hit about a foot high and a foot to the left.

It quickly became my tacklebox gun relegated to getting wet and abused.

A big waste of money to me, but it had a really nice finish.

PS Paul
10-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I own a " blued version with convertible cylinders and have enjoyed it. Shoots to the right about 2" at 25 yds. No tack driver, but my kids both love it and I've introduced several new shooters to handgunning with it- with good results. I am aware of some of the junkers (most are zinc frames) and have seen more than a few with bent front sights. Got mine for about 125.00 on sale at Sportco.......

I cannot be the only one who has had a good experience? I knew I was investing in an "economy" pistol, so no illusions about what I have.

cummins05
10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I have one mine shoots quite well the federal champion ammo is by far the best in mine got it for 75 bucks at the pawn shop still in the box I would by another one for sure also my wife loves shooting it she shoots at least 100 rounds each time we go to the range it works well and shoots well and it was cheap what more could u ask for

MT Gianni
10-04-2012, 12:25 AM
My nephew has one and likes it. I am not sure that it is worth the cost of 5000 rds of 22 lr.

farmallcrew
10-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I have one, i use for trapping because they are a cheaper gun. But cheapness doesnt matter here because these guns are built decent. They are accurate for me to 50yrds, and can hit a piece of computer paper at 75 yds with dirt cheap ammo. To me it would make a good starter pistol to get someone started with, then after they graduate from this, through it in a ruff sack for trapping for what ever.

FergusonTO35
10-04-2012, 09:16 PM
I have one with the 6" tube and the wifey has one with the 3-3/4". Both are quite accurate and dependable for the price. If you are actually going to put a lot of magnums through I would go for the steel frame version.

kyle623
10-05-2012, 07:07 AM
i got the wife one of the birds head grip ones and it shoot just fine. the older ones were hit and miss, i had a 9" bbl one years ago i couldnt hit a barn at 20 feet with but the new one is accurate enough for the sights it has. one thing you dont want to do with these guns is fanfire them the internals are not strong enough to do this very often without getting damaged. other than that, they make great little trainers for youngsters and the safety is a plus when teaching them to shoot.