PDA

View Full Version : Gas check shank diameter

cdet69
09-30-2012, 05:18 PM
What is the gas check shank diameter for a 30 caliber mould. Mainly a Lyman 311041? The mould I have is dropping them at.287 with a band size of .310 for both cavities. I am using wheel weights that are water quenched. The only way to seat the gas check is with a small hammer, not a good way to start out.

cdet69
09-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I see most 30 cal. moulds have a .284 gas check dia. It looks like I might need to call Lyman tomorrow. Still any ideas would be great.

Sagebrush7
09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
The shank has to be measured at the very bottom of the the bullet. They are supposed to have a 2% taper up to the first band. Very hard to measure the little buggers. I bet your bullets are close to factory tolorance. Lightly bevel the base of your bullet and tap lightly on. I like them tight!

Ben
09-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes, better tight than loose.

Ben

cdet69
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Would an aluminum gas check fit easier?

Ben
09-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Would an aluminum gas check fit easier?
One made out of .009 " most likely would.

Ben

GP100man
10-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Sometimes I get to going too fast ,too hot & the bases have a little flashing on em that`s a pia to get GCs on

How does the NOE tool help in seating GCs does it trimm this flash off ???

44man
10-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Sometimes I get to going too fast ,too hot & the bases have a little flashing on em that`s a pia to get GCs on

Too fast can get a tad of lead on the mold top or under the plate. That makes the flashing.
I make my molds for a tight check and it takes a long time to get them on. I hate loose checks. Many of mine can not be seated in a lube sizer. None will go on upside down in a Lee die.
It is a pain but I use a little fine file to break flash off. I bought a Lee deburr tool but it needs shortened so I can give it a twist at the boolit base.
I made a check seater for my press but mostly I tap them on on my bench top.

TCFAN
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM

In a word ..........Yes it works very well.Also will put a slight bevel on the GC shank and that helps to get a GC on........Terry