PDA

View Full Version : gun show blues

exile
09-30-2012, 04:17 PM
I went to a local gun show yesterday. First one in a long time. This was a fairly large show for our area. I had some things in mind, a rare model of a threaded Ruger Mark III, some magazines for a Smith and Wesson M & P Shield, a re-sizing die for a .44 magnum, etc.,. Of course, I did not find any of those things.

The most disquieting experience was the fact that there was not, to my knowledge, a single box of .22 long rifle ammo in the place. I saw some quantities of center-fire pistol and rifle ammo, but no .22's. I believe I saw one box of .22 magnums, but that was it.

My thought was that if I did not find anything else, I would buy a box of .22's, something that I would not ordinarily see on someone's shelves. Nada. Nothing.

Should I be concerned? I guess I already am. Never been to a gunshow before without a large selection of .22 ammo.

I did spend several hours there and looked at all the tables.

The best thing there was an older gentleman who was selling off his private collection. All his guns seemed well used, but well cared for, good prices.

I did see a Smith and Wesson Model 57 with a six inch barrel and a Springfield Armory Garand chambered in .308 that I liked, but could not afford those.

Anyway, not big news, just kind of strange.

exile

rockrat
09-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I seldom see 22 ammo at shows around here. Its too heavy to cart into the shows for such a miniscule amount of profit, if any, as I have been told

Artful
09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
2008 the ammo emptied off the shelves - I couldn't get 45 ACP, 9x19, 380ACP, 44 mag, 38 spl or .357 mag - 22LR was in short supply then also - only ammo that didn't disappear was 40 S&W (I know own a pistol in that caliber).

I remember getting up at 6:30 to get to ChinaMart to stand in line to see if the delivery truck brought anything I could use. The clerk would wheel up a shopping cart full of ammo and most of it didn't even make it to the shelves.

sparky45
09-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Always can find .22 ammo at the big shows in Tulsa. One coming in November.

frankenfab
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
China_mart has 30 cal plastic ammo cans with 1600 rds. of CCI mini-mags fro $98.00 right now. Both stores in my area have them. I think I am the only person that has bought one from the store I go to. I've been checking to see how many were left when I am in there. The regular smaller 500 or so bulk packs of various 22 ammo go quickly when they come in.

The plastic 30 cal cans have 16 regular100 rd. plastic boxes inside. I guess $100 is a lot to spend on 22 ammo, but it is good ammo, and I bought a can to get me over the 10,000 rd. reserve mark. I'm just gonna replace it as I shoot it from now on.

exile
10-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I buy .22 ammo fairly regularly when I am out, but am thinking about buying a Ruger Mark III and thought I would buy some various 50 round boxes of something like Eley Ten-X or RWS or something to test it out. So, hence my disappointment. I would love to buy 1600 rounds of the CCI if it was hollowpoint stuff. For some reason CCI Blazer seems to shoot better in my Savage. I was out the other day with the Mark II and was not hitting the cans very well. Put in some Winchester X-pert standard velocity lead HP's and starting doing well. I think that stuff must be the only standard velocity HP out there. It is in a white box.

exile

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Out a couple weeks back to one of the local stores with a large sporting goods dept, and their supply was good.

I bought a couple more bricks of CCI Blazer. This ammo shoots well for most all general shooting, but then many ammos shoot well from my Clark Custom 77/22.

I don't do Remington ammo, just to many duds in every box, unless it is Eley/Rem which is not made by Remington anyway.

As per the comments about 2008, well the smart folk have a good stash of ammo and reloading components always on the shelf, just like they have a good stash of food on the shelf.

The dumb ones were crying their eyes out for about 30 months before supplies caught up.

Be included with the smart folk just in case there are enough dumb ones to again cause us an obamanation. NOW is the time to make sure your well supplied.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't know why there was none at that show. I expect it was just a coincidence.

At the shows I attend, about 10% of the tables are ammo only and there is plenty of .22.

BUT

Just in case, you really need a long term supply on hand because IF the Obamanation gets re-elected it will be gone.

pietro
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
AFAIK, cmp is again bulk selling (5K) .22LR for $125................................

NoZombies
10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, the CMP page doesn't read as being sold out, but their order page doesn't list it as available either...

gnoahhh
10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Deals are still out there. A couple weekends ago while out for a Sunday drive, I stumbled onto an old fashioned hardware store- a pretty rare thing in and of itself. While scrounging around the dusty aisles, I casually asked the clerk if they had any .22 ammo. He led me to the section where there was the usual selection of Remington and CCI hi vel stuff, at 'normal' prices. Then he said he thought there was some older stuff in the back, and that he would go check. He came out with two bricks of old W-W Mark III Match, the old yellow boxes, with about a 1/4" of dust on them. No price tags, so I encouraged him to call the boss and find out if they were for sale, and how much. The kid came back and said "$20/box". So I said I would take a box, which would've been high for a box of 50, but what the heck. The kid rang me up, and put a whole brick in the bag. Thinking on my feet, I said I changed my mind and that I would take both "boxes" after all. While ringing me up the kid mentioned that he had asked if he should break the "boxes" open and sell them individually, and the owner replied, no just get them out of here. He asked if they were worth more than what he was charging me, and I said "yep". He just shrugged. I walked out to the truck grinning like the Cheshire Cat!!

waksupi
10-11-2012, 02:44 PM
There are lots of good deals at gun shows. I see them every time I go with no spending money.

gnoahhh
10-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Ain't that the truth! And then when I go with money, there are no deals.

I'll Make Mine
10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
There are lots of good deals at gun shows. I see them every time I go with no spending money.

Ain't that the truth! And then when I go with money, there are no deals.

And that's the rules, in a nutshell. :sad:

bob208
10-21-2012, 08:54 AM
yes been there done that many times.

another one is you go to an auction every one is paying retail or more. then you stay home and everyine is telling you about how xheap things were at the one you missed.

Buckeye509
11-04-2012, 05:56 PM
There are stores called Fins, Furs and Feathers in NE Ohio. Really nice and lots for the sportsperson. Bought a brick of Federals for around 15 bucks this past weekend. If you can, check them out.

Longone
11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
It's probably a good thing I don't live near Fin Fur and Feather, they show up at the Nationals each season and have very good deals on powder and primers and more. If you are near them it's worth the ride to stock up.

Longone

thegatman
11-24-2012, 12:12 PM
.22 ammo is the easiest to stockpile. It hardly takes up space and it fits a variety of firearms. Your bug out bag can store a lot more stuff if you pack a .22.