PDA

View Full Version : Shootin 50 BMG Barrett

Olevern
09-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, the guy up the mountain from me is shootin that 50 Barrett again. Sucker makes quite a bang, plus it makes me a little nervous as his "firing range" is from the mountaintop over my property to the next mountain. At least there is a lull in the shooting every so often as he drives his truck to the target and posts another target. I hunt occasionally in the woods behind my property (doesn't belong to either of us) and worry that he might start banging away with that thing and not have it properly sighted in. He shoots from his property to the property of another out-of-state friend but over the property of others. Fortunately he is not up in our part of the woods from downstate too often.

Superfly
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Um you may want to check state laws regarding firing over other peoples Residence

Olevern
09-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Um you may want to check state laws regarding firing over other peoples Residence

Superfly;

Not directly over my house, but over my property (that is if he has that thing correctly sited in)

5shotbfr
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
i think i'd stop and say howdy when he is out shooting next time . and mention the fact that he is shooting over your property and ask if he would kindly stop and let you know when he is going to shoot just to keep everyone safe and all of that nonsense

SciFiJim
10-01-2012, 12:48 AM
This would be like someone continuing to shoot while you are downrange at a multilane shooting range. Unless he is shooting from a canyon or concrete box that would make it IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally get a shooting angle on your house, then the only fair thing is that you get to fire shots past him while he is firing shots past you.

Olevern
10-01-2012, 08:23 AM
This would be like someone continuing to shoot while you are downrange at a multilane shooting range. Unless he is shooting from a canyon or concrete box that would make it IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally get a shooting angle on your house, then the only fair thing is that you get to fire shots past him while he is firing shots past you.

Good thinking, SciFiJim,
think I'll use that logic next time I see him.

Larry Gibson
10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
What you might do is next time he is shooting go over and express interest, he might even let you shoot a few rounds. That way you can see if there is really a danger shooting mountian top to mountain top or if it is just percieved danger based on noise.

Overhead fire is not necessarily dangerous and you might see that it poses no real problem and you might enjoy a neighbor that is also a shooting buddy and have access to his "long" range. If it does pose a problem then you will have 1st hand knowledge for a complaint to authorities. You might ask yourself if a :takinWiz: contest with the neighbor is worth it if there really isn't a danger.

Larry Gibson

x101airborne
10-01-2012, 12:27 PM
What you might do is next time he is shooting go over and express interest, he might even let you shoot a few rounds. That way you can see if there is really a danger shooting mountian top to mountain top or if it is just percieved danger based on noise.

Overhead fire is not necessarily dangerous and you might see that it poses no real problem and you might enjoy a neighbor that is also a shooting buddy and have access to his "long" range. If it does pose a problem then you will have 1st hand knowledge for a complaint to authorities. You might ask yourself if a :takinWiz: contest with the neighbor is worth it if there really isn't a danger.

Larry Gibson

Sound advice. There is always a chance of loose rounds, just ask anyone in artillery. But make sure there is really a need for concern and just talk to him. I am a very agreeable person face to face and will work with anyone acting like a grown up. Just ask him if yall could trade numbers so you know ahead of time and so does he that if you are going to be in the field, he knows you prefer him not to shoot. If he wants to shoot, you know to stay out of the field. Friendly communication can stop a lot of problems.

Olevern
10-02-2012, 04:59 AM
O.K. guys, it can't hurt to try talking with the guy, however, how far am I gonna get with someone who thinks it's alright to fire a major caliber weapon over several other peoples properties and a county road?

Wayne Smith
10-02-2012, 08:01 AM
O.K. guys, it can't hurt to try talking with the guy, however, how far am I gonna get with someone who thinks it's alright to fire a major caliber weapon over several other peoples properties and a county road?

You start out listening and finding out how he thinks before you try any argument. If you start confrontational you will have no chance to change his behavior, he will respond to your attitude rather than to your information. If you start out trying to understand his position you then have a chance to advise it.

popper
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
other peoples properties and a county road That one will get him shut down. Austin had a casualty this year, legal hunter missed the deer and the hilltop, hit a bystander the other side of the hill (06, I think). Document, legally, suggest he stop, if not call him in. You're not trying to be a bad neighbor - but if he hits someone, his property should sell cheap.

DukeInFlorida
10-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Tell him that you were in the woods, doing some scouting, in full camo, and you heard a few rounds go zinging by.
Ask him to find another place to shoot.

I'd be royally pissed.

garym1a2
10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Find out the laws in your area and make sure he follows it. If his shooting is legal you have no recourse.

David2011
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
In most places it's illegal to shoot across roads. In New Mexico it's illegal to shoot from or across a graded road. It can be an oilfield road, not recognized by a government agency. If it's been graded, it's a road.

David

popper
10-05-2012, 12:14 PM
illegal to shoot across roads Everywhere, including right-of-way. Trail or path is not a 'road'. I know it's picky but knowing it's going on and not stopping it might get you in court if somebody gets hurt.

starmac
10-05-2012, 11:35 PM
How much higher is his and the property and the property that he is shooting at, are we talking 10 feet or a couple hundred feet.

Plate plinker
10-06-2012, 12:42 AM
I'd say meet the guy and try to make friends first, but if all else fails you probably got him cause of the road issue. Be nice first!

Olevern
10-06-2012, 04:28 PM
How much higher is his and the property and the property that he is shooting at, are we talking 10 feet or a couple hundred feet.

Maybe a bit over 100 ft. From his shooting point to his target is roughly level.

2wheelDuke
10-06-2012, 05:05 PM

That sounds like a really bad idea, especially when the other guy has superior firepower.

felix
10-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Use cell phones. About the only thing they are good for, provided they even work in those woods where you are. Make sure each of the parties has the numbers of all the cell phones in the line, and nearby the target. Calling the cops is the last resort unless the parties are living there all the time. ... felix

Olevern
10-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Use cell phones. About the only thing they are good for, provided they even work in those woods where you are. Make sure each of the parties have the numbers of all the cell phones in the line, and nearby the target. Calling the cops is the last resort unless the parties are living there all the time. ... felix

No cell phone service, I have one, but only get to use it when we go to town or are traveling. The shooter is a "camp" owner, only comes up occasionally from downstate.

km101
10-06-2012, 09:48 PM
In most states it is illegal to shoot "from, along or across" a county road. Our game warden told me that it doesn't matter if it is 5 ft or 500 ft. If it is really a nuisance, ask him to stop. If that doesnt work call the authorities an ask them to have it stopped.

quilbilly
10-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Ask him if he ever shot cast boolits in it. They work and he can shoot more often with the money saved. Offer him some tech support. If he smiles at the idea, you may have another shooting buddy who will be a lot safer and will let you shoot it too. I did something similar for a neighbor including loading cast in his 45 and 38's and now I can hunt the back side of his place, fish his creek, and he even mows the hard to get to back of our place. You never know where a trail will lead.