PDA

View Full Version : Good place to find Local tin suply

flipajig
09-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Where is a good sorce for tin?
Walmart,Auto part /Auto zone , scrap yard.
Thank you
Flip

500MAG
09-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I use pewter. I pick it up at flea markets and thrift stores and I get it cheap. I melt it into different smaller ingots than my lead so I can add it in proportions that I want. I picked up 10 pounds last week at a thrift store for about $6.

geargnasher
09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Plumber's solid-core, lead-free solder is mostly tin and the rest is good stuff (silver, copper, etc.) Garage/estate sales are the best place to find it, it's expensive to buy new. Radiator shops often (not always) use a 50/50 tin/lead solder that has the right slush phase for the sort of work they do. Their "dripping" collect in the bottom of the tanks over which they do their work, and they collect this stuff when they clean out the tanks periodically. Some of them will give it to you, but most want more for it than the tin percentage would cost you brand-new in pure ingots. It is an extra source of income for radiator shops, and the bigger ones usually contract with a recycler along with the copper/brass/aluminum scrap they generate. Check around, a coffee can full of radiator drippings will treat a hundred pounds of wheel weights quite nicely.

Gear

I'll Make Mine
09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
You can buy solid core 95/5 tin-antimony solder, also; if you find the best price it's cheaper than tin ingots (I wouldn't pay more than $12/lb). Industrial suppliers will have it, plumbing suppliers might.

imashooter2
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I use pewter. I pick it up at flea markets and thrift stores and I get it cheap. I melt it into different smaller ingots than my lead so I can add it in proportions that I want. I picked up 10 pounds last week at a thrift store for about $6.

My source as well, although 60 cents a pound is an exceptional score. I've paid as much as $4 a pound, but these days I have plenty on the shelf and walk on by if the price goes over $3 a pound.

flipajig
10-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Thank you for the replys I'm gathering info for a good hunting bullet for my 44 mags TC contender and a M 94 winchester the molds that I'm useing are 429244 and the Lee 310 RF both Boolits my guns like very well.
Flip

500MAG
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
My source as well, although 60 cents a pound is an exceptional score. I've paid as much as $4 a pound, but these days I have plenty on the shelf and walk on by if the price goes over $3 a pound.

Yeah, down here in South Florida you can pick it up really cheap. I got a pewter bowl, a couple of weeks ago at the flea market, this thing was the size of a fruit bowl and had to be 2.5 to 3 pounds for $3. I have a place in NC and when I am up there I can't find any in the thrift stores.

arkypete
10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
My bride loves to yard sale. It doesn't really matter what she buys as long its a bargain. For years I had her unload her car at the carport, so that on Monday when she went to work I could take it to the street for the trash men.
Well, I told her I could use pewter, after a couple of false starts buying Alumiinum, we got her focused. I have an ever increasing supply growing in the loading shed.

Get your bride, girl friend, daughter, mother to look for the pewter and you will be the pewter king of your town.

Jim