PDA

View Full Version : New caster

jaysouth
09-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Today I set up a cooker and iron pot to mix some alloy. I used 3 parts pure lead and one part linotype. I combined and poured into muffin tins for ingots. When I cast using my new Lee furnace, I will add some solder to bring the alloy up to an approximation of WW for .45 ACP SWCs.

Look at the photo of the small ingots and the 'dimpling' effect when I poured the alloy into a muffin tin lined with some kind of brown finish that I assume was touted to be non-stick. Any idea of what causes this dimpling effect.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/smokeyandlead019.jpg

In another photo, you can see the large ingots poured into an plain aluminum muffin tin.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/smokeyandlead024.jpg

The last photo is my outdoor smelting setup. When I cast I plan to move the bench up against the brick wall and plug my furnace into the outdoor outlet.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/smokeyandlead029.jpg

I did cast five .309 113 gr bullets from the pure lead before adding the lino. I will use these to slug a couple of guns.

Bill*
09-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking that the "brown finish" outgassed. The muffin tin is new, right? If so, it should slow down as time goes by. That brown finish wasn't designed for the temps we subject them to. Just to be safe, don't breathe the fumes. Though it may be harmless, why chance it.

jaysouth
09-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Bill,

The muffin tin is pretty worn, but I think your theory about some of the finish going gaseous when hit with the molten alloy is right on.

I always cast/melt outside and upwind from my gear.

lwknight
09-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Burn the muffin tin red hot to remove all the non sticky and it will cast smooth ingots.
Eventually it probably will anyway.
The non sticky is the right kind to get. If you had gotten a tinned muffin pan the ingots would have to be melted out.
Isn't it amazing how much gas is in a thin lining of non sticky?

a.squibload
09-30-2012, 04:33 PM
You can't fool me.

Those are Moon Ingots.

runfiverun
09-30-2012, 07:54 PM
your alloy allready has more tin than ww's do, you have enough to make good boolits.
don't spray the wd-40 in the ingot molds.

Dennis Eugene
09-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Good eye Lamar, I had to go back and look for the WD40. Dennis

shadowcaster
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking that the "brown finish" outgassed. The muffin tin is new, right? If so, it should slow down as time goes by. That brown finish wasn't designed for the temps we subject them to. Just to be safe, don't breathe the fumes. Though it may be harmless, why chance it.

You have got to be kidding... Right? Try reading this link on the dangers of teflon.

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/teflon4.htm

IMO cast iron or steel ingot mold are the only way to fly and don't have to cost much.

Shad

Slow Elk 45/70
10-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Yup, the WD-40 has no place in the muffin tin, if that is what your doing, I see why you have all the dimples, good luck and good casting:groner:

DrCaveman
10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
My experience with pouring ingots into steel muffin-sized pans (made for fancy condiment serving, maybe?) is that when the ingots have cooled sufficiently, they pop right out.

Shrinkage.
This just goes to echo the lack of need for any lubricant or even the use of non-stick pans.

Sounds like your mix might be a little light on antimony? I could be totally wrong about your contents but I can say that a fairly even mix of tin & antimony is a good thing. Shotgun shot is a good source, as far as I know
Prob doesn't matter for 45acp boolits though.

jaysouth
10-04-2012, 03:42 PM
When I finish casting, I spray the bullet mold with WD-40. At the next session, I wash the mold with real mineral spririts and scrub with a toothbrush and Q-tip before I smoke the cavities.

I think I am going to buy some cast iron ingot molds from three different manufacturers so I can easliy distinguish which alloy I am using. RCBS for lead, Lyman for WW, etc.

John Boy
10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
The muffin tin is pretty worn, but I think your theory about some of the finish going gaseous when hit with the molten alloy is right on.
Burn the finish off with a torch

fredj338
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
If you have access to scrap iron & a welder, you can make great ingot molds for almost nothing. A 3" wide channel iron about 4" long makes nice size ingots 1#-5#. Weld 2-3 together & away you go. I agree, lino @ 3-1 doesn't really need any add'l. tin.

jaysouth
10-04-2012, 11:44 PM
As usual I am awed by the depth of knowledge on the board and the willingness to share info.

Thanks