PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Exclude Alaska and Hawaii if you can ship USPS.

Mooseman
09-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Hey Sellers,
Please don't exclude Alaska and Hawaii from being able to purchase from you if you are able to ship USPS especially if you use Flat Rate Boxes...They work for us too at the same price.
I see so many Items that say "ship to Lower 48 only" and that is cutting us out of deals on swap and sell, and it Irks me.
I understand if you only ship UPS or Fedex that it is cost prohibitive for us as well as ammo, powder, and primers cannot be mailed, but we are able to receive most anything else and Flat Rate boxes have been a blessing for Us here in the wilderness.

Thanks,
Rich

monge
09-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Mooseman right NY to AK 3 days no problem same price!

338RemUltraMag
09-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I have shipped to Mooseman, in Medium FRB, from Maryland all the way to Alaska for 11.35, def unfair not to write Alaska or Hawaii on the box!

Jeff H
09-30-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm glad you posted that because I have been operating under a faulty assumption.

I have posted "lower 48 only" myself a time or two. My apologies to folks in those states.

I only ship USPS anyway so it wouldn't matter.

Thanks.

yotatrd4x4
09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for posting I always see folks that say no shipping to AK or HI unless you pay the extra cost and flat rate is good for the whole USA for the same price.

phaessler
09-30-2012, 05:36 PM
I just sent a SFRB to SPRINGFIELDM141972 , Valdez AK, and gladly offer what I can to "50 states".
I admit I was suprised to see it delivered so fast.

Pete

cdet69
09-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Maybe the thik Alaska and Hawaii are not part of the United States. Funny thing is when I send stuff to Guam I have to fill out a customs form. I also thought it was part of the U.S. Like USPS says all 50 for the same great price using a flat rate box.

mooman76
09-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Flat rate works great for this. I had someone wanting to ship to Alaska and it was heavy. I saved him $50, half the price of UPS by telling him about flat rate shipping.

Frozone
09-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I get 60# of lead up here all the time for $11.35 postage. My new mailman Hates me :-)
My old one was a shooting buddy; she didn't mind delivering the boxes as she knew she'd shoot 20# of it.

I just had an argument with Stormlake Barrels about just this subject.
They ship USPS priority but wouldn't send to AK.[smilie=b:

shotman
09-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes you say Flat rate
but found that other priorty stuff is WAY higher. Try shipping a gun WOW

Trey45
09-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I was just assuming they were prejudiced against hula dancing eskimos all this time.
I'd probably pay good money to see a hula dancing eskimo come to think of it....

Frozone
09-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I'd probably pay good money to see a hula dancing eskimo come to think of it....

Then you just need to visit anchorage and go to the 'native heritage center'.
During tourist season they have dancers all the time.
The native dances look Just like the Hula they wave thier arms just like the hula and wiggle the bottom parts the same too. They just wear furs head to toe while they do it ;-)

Mooseman
10-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Priority mail is still way cheaper than UPS , even for guns.
NEVER ship Parcel post to Alaska because that takes 6 weeks to 3 months...why I dont know and also PP packages are not trackable I found out.

Thanks Guys !
Rich

al1gator
10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Yup...I have had to "educate" quite a few folks on several different sites...not just Cast Boolits...about using USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes to ship to AK. Most of these folks say: "WOW...I didn't know that!" and complete the transaction just like I lived in the state next door to them. A few have actually said: "I don't want to go to the extra trouble of shipping to AK"! There is no "extra trouble"...just pick up the free flat rate box at the P.O., fill it up with the goods (IF it fits, it ships...price is the same not calculated by weight) and mail it for the very reasonable FRB price! You can add a delivery confirmation sticker for about a buck...that really helps document your side of the story if something goes "awry" during shipment.

Thank you for your time.

al

starmac
10-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Glad to see this as a sticky. I just hope everyone is better at looking at the stickies than I am. lol

MusicMan
10-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Flatrate and shiptoalaska.com our only saving grace. YES there 50 states!

stubshaft
10-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks Mooseman! It drives me nuts when I see "shipping CONUS only".

dagger dog
10-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Shipped scope mount+rings to HI from IN,3days USPS Priorty with tracking, $5.80.

milsurp mike
10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I saved $84 by using A Large Flat Rate Box to Northern Alaska Village.It was way up in the Artic Circle.Only way to go.Mike

rbuck351
10-07-2012, 01:39 AM
I have had some luck convincing businesses to send stuff flat rate rather than UPS ground (what ever that is) to AK. Others just won't send USPS so they don't get my money. And for those that only send to the continental US, please check a map and see if Ak. isn't on the same continent as Florida.

I used to trade on Ammo Brass Trader a lot which would not have been practical without the Flat rate boxes.

I'll bet the post office had no idea lots of folks were actually going to fill flat rate boxes with lead.

Mooseman
10-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Yep , we ARE on the same Continent as the lower 48 so I hold them to that if I can.
We do not have UPS ground shipping to Alaska, so If need be I get it sent to a friend who will re-box it in a flat rate box and mail it to me. Still cheaper than UPS second day air charges to Alaska.
Other than that it is Barge or truck to Alaska and that is best for Heavy , bulky stuff.
Thanks Guys !
Rich

AkMike
10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
For the rest of us Alaska guys.
This worked for me getting cheap shipping on some gun case foam. Ask them just what CONUS means. If they say Continental US then inform them that we are indeed on the North American Contenient, same as them. You may have to talk to a manager to explain this.

If they say contiguous US then you're skrewed once again.

Snyd
10-19-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm glad to see this sticky! Anytime I see an item for sale here or on any forum that says "lower 48 only" I inform the poster that USPS Flat Rate boxes ship here for the same price.

AkMike
10-22-2012, 03:13 AM
We do not have UPS ground shipping to Alaska,

Uh Rich,

You're mistaken on this point.. We have had UPS Ground for 8 years or so.

It's much cheaper than blue or red and it all goes out by air to the closest hub near your destination address, then by truck.

Inbound is truck to the hub then air to Anch then by truck.

Just Duke
10-22-2012, 05:18 AM
We have shipped Flat Rates there on many an occasion.

frkelly74
10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
If you get Click-N-Ship you get a discount on shipping flat rate and the delivery confirmation is thrown in at no extra cost. The flat rate envelope is now $4.90 with delivery confirmation to all 50 states. You can send more bulk than in a small flat rate box but you need to wrap things in a couple of layers and tape them good before you put the package into the flat rate envelope. You should also stick the inner package to the outer package so that if the sorting machine rips the envelope open the contents stays with the package.

Now it is $5.05 postage for the envelope

millsa2
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Good to know. I have guilty also of the "Lower 48" thing. Thanks All

D Crockett
02-28-2013, 12:22 AM
guys I will ship to the north pole if someone wants to buy my stuff and is willing to pay the price of shipping only thing is I never get orders from Alaska or Hi wish I did D Crockett

Mooseman
02-28-2013, 12:43 AM
D Crockett,
If you have what we want we buy it...Im only 240 miles south of North pole !

Rich

randyrat
03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I am so glad you put this thread up...I hate to see people exclude Alaska and Hawaii .I think it it done unintentionally. USPS covers all of our country......I thought someone said there is 57 states

Snyd
03-23-2013, 04:56 PM
D Crockett,
If you have what we want we buy it...Im only 240 miles south of North pole !

Rich

I'm about 20 miles north of North Pole :D

g5m
07-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Hey Sellers,
Please don't exclude Alaska and Hawaii from being able to purchase from you if you are able to ship USPS especially if you use Flat Rate Boxes...They work for us too at the same price.
I see so many Items that say "ship to Lower 48 only" and that is cutting us out of deals on swap and sell, and it Irks me.
I understand if you only ship UPS or Fedex that it is cost prohibitive for us as well as ammo, powder, and primers cannot be mailed, but we are able to receive most anything else and Flat Rate boxes have been a blessing for Us here in the wilderness.

Thanks,
Rich

Good reminder. When my daughter was in AK USPS was the only reasonable cost way to ship if it could be sent by mail.

groovy mike
08-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Anybody know if shipping a rifle by USPS to Hawaii costs more than it would say from NY to CA?

Mooseman
08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
It would because they add an extra charge for Ak and Hawaii ! Rates are different.

Just Duke
10-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Hey Sellers,

Thanks,
Rich

Does that go both ways?
Where is Alaska actually?

digger44
10-21-2013, 08:46 AM
The last 3 packages I shipped were all to AK.

ruizhernandeztrust
11-15-2013, 09:15 PM
US possessions should be included. Puerto Rico uses US dollar, same constitution, same usps service.

Suo Gan
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Just move to Texas where everyone smells like strawberries and pee ginger beer. Back to AMERICA by God!!

I know the Texas boys want to say it, I said it for them. All is well, as you were.

Pinsnscrews
01-16-2014, 10:37 PM
The Flat Rate Boxes are designed by shape to pack the most into a cargo bay. Whether truck, train car, or plane. They do actually have a mandated 75lbs Max on weight, though, I really don't think you could actually get 75lbs into the largest flat rate box...I could be wrong, but if you DO manage to get that much weight into one, PLEASE mark the box as EXTREMELY HEAVY to help keep some poor soul from having a work comp claim.

Btw, I got so sick of people traveling to Hawaii and totally think they are in a foreign country. "Hey, what country is Huh Why Yee in anyways?"
I always asked them If they needed their passports to fly there...they still didn't get it.

Blackhawk Convertable
10-06-2015, 05:12 AM
Max weight is 70 lbs and not 75 lbs in USPS Flat Rate Boxes.

crashdummy
10-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I consider Hawaii and Alaska as part of the US

RugerFan
12-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Does that go both ways?
Where is Alaska actually?

Go north into Canada and take a left.

Sam Casey
01-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Good info. I usually note CONUS in my ads. Will change my wording. As above said, be careful with guns, ammo, etc. UPS is expensive even for small packages as adult signature is req'd.

bendad97
04-01-2016, 06:49 PM
I have to say that EVERY time I have shipped FR Boxes to Alaska & Hawaii there has been a problem. I'm just an old logger from New Hampshire, not a bank. I just gave up on shipping to AK & HI.[smilie=s:

Alvarez Kelly
04-02-2016, 12:48 AM
I have to say that EVERY time I have shipped FR Boxes to Alaska & Hawaii there has been a problem. I'm just an old logger from New Hampshire, not a bank. I just gave up on shipping to AK & HI.[smilie=s:

And I have shipped to Alaska and Hawaii dozens of times and never had a problem. Odd, isn't it.

shoot-n-lead
04-02-2016, 03:22 AM
And I have shipped to Alaska and Hawaii dozens of times and never had a problem. Odd, isn't it.

Same with me...and I have actually had 3 in the last year that was delivered in Alaska, 2 days after being mailed from Ga. Never had a problem with any going to Alaske or Hawaii.

ak_milsurp
04-02-2016, 04:01 AM
I've lived in Alaska since 1990.... By all means DO use USPS. Flat rate boxes!! I receive shipments that way all the time....

abunaitoo
10-28-2016, 09:33 PM
I still see postings with CONUS in them.
To bad because I did want a few of them.
All would have shipped in a USPS flat rate box.
Not sure what the problem with excluding AK and HI.
I reserve the right not to sell to anyone who will not sell to me.
Seems only fair to me.

abunaitoo
10-28-2016, 09:37 PM

What kind of problem did you have????
Did you let your post office know about the problem????
We had a problem with open letters here a while back.
Talked to the post office guy in charge.
We made a report that was sent to the main post office.
I heard they caught the guy.
It was a worked.

Geezer in NH
07-09-2017, 06:39 PM
USPS ships same to both. If it cannot ship USPS the guys in AK and HI should know it and be ready for the charges for FedEx or UPS.

D Crockett
07-09-2017, 06:50 PM
not a vendor any more

Hueyville
06-17-2018, 02:08 PM
If does not fit in flat rate box make sure to include "Alaska & Hawaii actual shipping cost" in ad as did a Pay it Forward item on another forum that did not fit in flat rate box but weighed less than five pounds and cost $39 to ship item giving away free to Alaska. Also be very careful if one party lives in small Alaska town where mail originates or ends in remote town only serviced by small aircraft during wimter. Purchased pair of expensive match AR barrels from reliable seller online who replied would get packaged and "snowshoe to road then hitch-hike to closest town that week". Tracking showed it scanned as received his post office two days later then disappeared. His post office claimed they left but was no scan as to when it left or where they went. A week, two weeks then three went by with no scan at any AK post office facility.

My local postal inspector said to consider it lost at 30 days and because shipper didn't describe them as "gun parts" insurance would not cover them. Suddenly after a month from being scanned then it showed up in Seattle five weeks later plus due to snow storm over Rockies and ice storm through OKC to North GA they were lost between depots for over a week two more times. Nine weeks after shipping USPS computer showed them in OKC but instead appeared at my post office whill couter said were between OKC and ATL. May be unfair but will do business in AK but not during winter, if rivers are frozen then airplanes fly at mercy of weather. Rivers melted and many packages move on boats more reliably from past experience. Just be very clear what part of Alaska and what method mail moves whether shipping or receiving if have a time limit. I will ship to or buy from either state after shipping costs are verified, packages are properly insured and after spring melt for remote settlements in AK.

jdb3
06-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Yep, I try explaining this phenomenon to people in the "Lower 48" all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, had Blue Cross once tell me to go to the preferred provider. That hospital was in Fairbanks, I live in Southeast Ak. Told them it would take me two days to get there, with a hotel stay both in Anchorage and Fairbanks (both ways) I could see the blank stare over the phone! What a learning experience. Remember, you don't have to be weird to live in the north, but it sure helps. Jim

rubinschmidt
04-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Now that we all realize that Alaska and Hawaii are well serviced by the USPS, please inform the shipping clerks in New Jersey and Brooklyn that New Mexico is one of the United States. For two decades I had to explain this, or even worse try to track down unreceived orders that were cancelled because, "We don't ship out of the country."

abunaitoo
05-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Priority mail is still way cheaper than UPS , even for guns.
NEVER ship Parcel post to Alaska because that takes 6 weeks to 3 months...why I dont know and also PP packages are not trackable I found out.

Thanks Guys !
Rich

It still takes a very long time when shipping parcel post or media mail.
But I think there is tracking now.
I just mailed a package media mail, and got a tracking number.

barnabus
06-15-2021, 09:20 PM
a seller has the right to ship where ever he chooses

TNsailorman
06-16-2021, 09:26 AM
UPS flat rate boxes will ship to Hawaii and Alaska, that is the reason I specify "anywhere a USPSFRB will ship" in any add I put up. Fully 98/99% of everything I ship goes by flat rate box.