PDA

View Full Version : Another new revolver???

Ron
05-28-2007, 04:14 AM
I went to the SSAA SHOT show yesterday and came across an outfit selling Alfa-Proj revolvers. This is a Czech firearms producer. The produce both alloy frams and steel framed revolvers. I had a look at one and it appears to be very well made. The 38 Spec. Sports target sell for AUD$1100.00 . The dbl action trigger was a bit stiff but I presume this could be worked on. Single action was crisp.

Has anyone on the board any experience with this make.

Bret4207
05-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but man thats one homely revolver! Never heard of the Company before but the gun looks like a Korth or Manhurin copy.

Four Fingers of Death
05-28-2007, 01:08 PM
I always promised myself a Manhurin 38 target revolver. I haven't seen those in Australia yet. I'd be a bit leery about plonking that sort of money down on an unknown when you can buy a good K38 so cheap. As a comparison, new gerden variety Ruger Single actions sell here for a bit over $AU 900 (about $US750) and you can usually pick up a nice K38 for about $AU400-450.

9.3X62AL
05-29-2007, 10:17 AM
The Manurhin lineage is apparent. My only experience with a revolver like this was a Manurhin some years ago, in 32 S&W Long. It had the same trigger you describe, stiff D/A but very nice S/A. It also had that weak-looking crane pivot your photo shows, but the cylinder locked up like a bank vault just the same. Colt and S&W crane pivots have spoiled me, I guess.

The revolver shot VERY well. It had about 10K rounds through it at the time I fired it without service of any kind, per the owner. Timing and lock-up were perfect. I would call it close to my S&W Model 16-4 in overall quality, but the price was half again more than than the Smith (IIRC). The same owner still has it, and he hasn't said anything negative about it--and he would have.

The K-38 is a known quantity, with parts fairly available as needed. I would weigh the price and service ease of the K-38 against that new critter's price and service questions carefully.

USARO4
05-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Those have to be the most uncomfortable looking grips I've ever seen. They look like they were cut out of a block of wood with wood chisel. I know they must be some kind of high speed, low drag, techno target marvels but it looks like it would hurt to just hold the thing in your hand.

Ron
05-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Lousy looking grips but they are ergonomic and oversize to allow shaping/fitting to the hand. If I got one of them, I would have to get rid of that grip and put a good pair of Pachmiers or similar on it. Pricewise, I think the Alfa would be cheaper by about AU$200 over a similar S&W here.