PDA

View Full Version : vz24 mauser cast bullet problem

lonewolf35
09-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I wanted to try casting bullets for my Romanian VZ24. I slugged the bore at. 325. I had Lee make a .326 sizer. I neck sized my brass and seated a bullet for a test chambering. I could not get the cartridge to chamber. I tried different seating depths, but no luck. I used the lee. 329 bullet mould.

lonewolf35
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
It was fired brass from the rifle. I can chamber an empty case. This is my third attempt casting bullets for surplus rifles. My first two went pretty good with excellent results. This was my first snag.

UBER7MM
09-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Lonewolf35,

Could be that your rifle's throat won't accept a .326"
Could be that the brass stretched. If so, measure and cut to trim length.

Larry Gibson
09-29-2012, 11:35 PM
I used the lee. 329 bullet mould.

What is the diameter of the bullet nose?

Does it slip fit or sligthtly engrave but enter the muzzle easily?

Larry Gibson

lonewolf35
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I think the bullet shape is wrong. The mould I used was for a Hungarian mannlicher. I read in a post someone used it for a Mauser and sized it down. The chamber needs about 1/4"more to close. I feel so stupid. I was all excited, the bullets casted so nice

3006guns
10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I've had that happen with bullets that have a "fat" or blunt ogive. I usually try another mold that's a little more "pointy" (technical term) and have better luck. Example, I have Lyman 8mm that won't allow the bolt to close on an 1888 Commission rifle. I substituted another Lyman mold that's a classic Loverin design with a slender ogive...chambers beautifully.

One thing you need to determine is whether the neck portion of the chamber is big enough to accept your case neck. Just use a fired, not sized, case FROM THAT RIFLE and see if one of your cast boolits will slip in. If so, the neck is opening enough to release that diameter boolit. Then go ahead and neck size and load normally.

Artful
10-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes, first step is see if a fired unsized case will take the .326 boolit - If it won't then you need to size smaller. Has to have room to expand and release boolit. It's been a while since I did the 8x57 but I still have the mold Walt at NEI recommended
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/NEI215-324RNGC.jpg

It did pretty good out of the carbine I had.